Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
142 Posts

Messing around today and went ahead and did the wheat wacker fairing modification and added a pair of grip puppies. Also, found an EX500 radiator fan blade on eBay for $12, so that’s on the way :)

Ya’ll like the black or ideas on painting it?

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
142 Posts
Thanks, Paul and Ranger. (Those are just the cases from Harbor Freight)

Wanted the mod a little “taller” so I just made some new brackets. If I decide not to keep the old ones and someone likes them I’ll post them later, just pay shipping

The black wedge looks perfectly fine to my eyes. Sort of like a 'racing stripe' on a car!

Still like the cases you are using for panniers, think they look nice on the KLR.
Updated taller wheat wacker mod

·
Registered
1985 KLR600
110 Posts
Nothing like a little camo duct tape to fix a shift lever spring! (does this officially make me a red neck?)

*edit lol, if I put red and neck together as one word it sensors it (*******) 🤣. If calling myself a ******* is really THAT offensive let me know and I’ll change my post.😂👍

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,198 Posts
Actually not today, but yesterday I scored some good bits and accessories cheap. $95 for a Gen1 front fender, rear fender, both side panels, cowling, an additional aftermarket front fender (Acerbis?). And a happy trails SU rear luggage frame.

The side panels and rear fender are primed in gray, but are green plastic underneath. Does anyone have a good way of getting the primer off the poly plastic?

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
The side panels and rear fender are primed in gray, but are green plastic underneath. Does anyone have a good way of getting the primer off the poly plastic?
I don't. But this could get interesting.

What are you gonna' do to the plastics after paint removal?

Maybe ought to start a separate thread, PeteK?

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I’m probably not gonna mess with them unless I need to replace something on my 1998 model. Just asking in case I have to. Or unless someone wants to buy them from me.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Many of you will recall that I did some extensive controlled back-to-back testing of the stock jets versus the MCP kit in my 2013 KLR 692 earlier this year. I found that the stock jets and needle have substantially better Highway gas mileage, about 47MPG versus 39 with the MCP kit.

I’ve also wanted to test the gas mileage on the 1998 I picked up a couple months ago to compare to my test results on my 2013. It has the stock jets and needle and the engine has 38Kmi on it. It also has 16/43 sprockets, versus 15/43 on my 2013; and it has soft saddle bags instead of the aluminum panniers on the 2913, so maybe a little less air drag.

Today was the day.

I ran exactly the same 98.6-mile route on I-5, at the same speed (69 MPH indicated, 63MPH actual), filling up the tank to the same level, at the same gas pump in the same spot, etc. What I couldn’t control was the wind. In my past testing I tried to pick days that were low wind to calm, however today I had a moderate headwind on the way out, and a moderate tailwind on the way back. That should have decreased my mileage slightly.

And the results are (Drum roll): 55 MPG! I have a fresh chain and 16T sprocket for the 2013, so at some point I will install those and see if that takes the mileage of the 2013 up to the range of the 1998.

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
If Grant at MCP had seen fit to supply an adjustable mid-range needle, it would have been interesting to see what effect on roll-on performance & MPG a half step and a one step leaner needle would do, leaving all else the same.

What is his base altitude? What is your base altitude?

181 - 192 of 192 Posts