Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
221 - 240 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Long time, no visit. Just haven’t had to do much on my ‘08. I finally got around to replacing the front MEFO Sport MFE 99; 7,200 US miles on it, and it probably should have been done a while ago. Replaced it with a Shinko E700; we’ll see how that works out.
The rear MEFO still has a few K miles to go. While I liked the feel of the front, it wore funny, with the center block cupping, and still wearing faster than the shoulders, even running 40 PSI. The one before it did the same thing. Since I’m not a wild off-roader, anything that does OK on gravel roads and isn’t too squirrelly on wet pavement will suit me. That’s it.

Conrad

2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
1996 BMW R1100RT
1994 BMW R1100RSA
1975 Yamaha XS650B

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
194 Posts
Tank vest for the vented IMS came back in stock, ordered it and got some IFAK pouches as well as a bottle pouch and a couple others.

Over the past 800 miles of mixed riding (forest trails and mostly 60mph cruising and moderate stop and go) with the KLX installed (142 main, 42 pilot, second washer, 1.75 turns out) I have averaged 55.6 mpg.

Today I also installed the crank oil restriction mod that Paul came up with. I have burned apprx 18oz during the last 1600 miles. Not much, but still am curious how this mod will affect things. Installed in the oil cap for the time being, will change out banjos later on.

Hand Wood Finger Gas Thumb

·
Registered
44 Posts
Baby got new shoes……. put on some Shinko 805s then went for a 50 mile run just to find out my shifter needed lengthening due to my Fred Flinstone feet…..so off to work and added an inch and a half to it and now works great…..

Big thanks to @AzMtnThumper he hooked me up with some used Dirt Bagz and love them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Put the bike together after:
fitting new indicators
fitting new radiator
fitting safari tank
Fitting second hand grab rails and rear rack
repairing side covers and wrapped them
a few other small repairs to PO mods that were just terrible

·
Registered
25 Posts
Put the bike together after:
fitting new indicators
fitting new radiator
fitting safari tank
Fitting second hand grab rails and rear rack
repairing side covers and wrapped them
a few other small repairs to PO mods that were just terrible
View attachment 30405
Waiting for the items to arrive from Happy Trails and some more work. Happy days. Went for a ride around all the gravel roads in my neighbourhood today to. Stress test. We’re in lockdown with a 5km limit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Baby got new shoes……. put on some Shinko 805s then went for a 50 mile run just to find out my shifter needed lengthening due to my Fred Flinstone feet…..so off to work and added an inch and a half to it and now works great…..

Big thanks to @AzMtnThumper he hooked me up with some used Dirt Bagz and love them.

View attachment 30398 View attachment 30399 View attachment 30400

View attachment 30398 View attachment 30399 View attachment 30400
Nice work on the shifter, looks factory. That's the length they should be when they leave the factory. Glad you like the Dirt Bagz.

·
Registered
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 A16
24 Posts
I decided to try the $.22 mod. I started small, so it's more like an 11 cent mod, 1 washer on the needle. 1.75 turns out on the mixture screw. No air box mod and stock exhaust. I'll run this for a bit and see if I need to change anything after an undecided test period.
Pretty much used Superdoo youtube videos for instruction manuals. Thanks for those Tom.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Installed the new gas cap and "oil seal" and happy to report that after filling the tank to the point where the pump shut off, no leaks! Not sure what will happen next time she takes a nap, but a significant improvement. The replacement seems well constructed and pretty much an exact match of the original.

Old cap

New cap and seal (but, it has a separate key, now I need two). This was really easy and only about 30 bucks. But the seal was back ordered so took a few weeks to get delivered.

Also, snapped a pic of the modified tank venting arrangement

And swapped out the right rear blinker that was severely cracked after a drop, re-using the plastic tube over the wires. Another quick install. (A keen observer will note I forgot to remove the existing nut before I started lol)

And, I rerouted the clutch cable which unpinched it a bit - was a little sticky.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So, bike is finally finished for now. Next upgrade is going to focus on the front brake. Bigger rotor and caliber with braided brake lines.
So far I have done:
Doohickey
Safari Tank
New indicators with DRL
Service
Replaced rear rack with OEM and B&B plate
Happy Trail bash plate and engine guard
Some minor tidying up of wiring and hoses
Replaced radiator

·
Registered
86 Posts
After having the left hand mirror decide to loosen itself while riding yet again I added copious amount of blue locktite.
Hopefully that will help. I will eventually pay the exorbitant price for a set of double take, but I gag at the around $60 postage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
After having the left hand mirror decide to loosen itself while riding yet again I added copious amount of blue locktite.
Hopefully that will help. I will eventually pay the exorbitant price for a set of double take, but I gag at the around $60 postage.
I thought the locking nut would hold it?

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Super Bright…..like the way they look.
In the daytime or facing them 'at night'? Maybe you ought to check?

I'm hating on-coming LED lighting, more & more, nearly every evening!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
In the daytime or facing them 'at night'? Maybe you ought to check?

I'm hating on-coming LED lighting, more & more, nearly every evening!!
They are more for lower light and will probably just use them for night ventures on the trails. I know what your saying but I wanted lights mounted to the forks am not a fan of the center headlight that doesnt move.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Look like wide open flood reflectors. Do they make a Spot version? I didn't find these on Amazon. Was just curious on the specs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Look like wide open flood reflectors. Do they make a Spot version? I didn't find these on Amazon. Was just curious on the specs.
Yes they do and yes these are a 60 degree pattern flood. I picked them up from Super Bright LED I like there products.

221 - 240 of 283 Posts