Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
261 - 280 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bike fell over today…broke the handlebar risers. PO must have bought cheap crap. Took a bit of thinking to pick her up again. Ever tried lifting a bike without the handlebars? Had to phone the wife to bring me some tools to refit the bars to the original mounts again. Now I need a right side fairing as it broke on the mount. Ah, the joys of bike ownership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any more pics or steps in this process?
It looks good.
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment...
Slow progress as my right hand is in splints following my accident, but I'll be posting updates. Sanding it is tedious, but it's almost ready to start priming. I've been filling a few little rough spots... if you take scrap pieces of fairing and, literally, light them on fire, they melt and start to drip, which works great as a filler. Seems to burn at pretty low temperature...I cut a strip of material so I can hold one end while the other end burns like a candle. Again, hard to do with one hand lol, but I have time

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
217 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment...
Slow progress as my right hand is in splints following my accident, but I'll be posting updates. Sanding it is tedious, but it's almost ready to start priming. I've been filling a few little rough spots... if you take scrap pieces of fairing and, literally, light them on fire, they melt and start to drip, which works great as a filler. Seems to burn at pretty low temperature...I cut a strip of material so I can hold one end while the other end burns like a candle. Again, hard to do with one hand lol, but I have time
Acetone applied sparingly with a small brush can also help “blend” in some cracks. I’ve only tried this once so YRMV but it was helpful.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
What kind of paints are you using?

I've had fair luck with the Bulldog adhesion promoter and then Rustoleum paints over that.
Currently working on the Gen-1 project side panels and rear fender using Bulldog as the base and then Rustoleum 2x Real Orange Gloss, and will finish with 2x Clear Gloss.

Reactions: KLR04

·
Registered
31 Posts
What kind of paints are you using?

I've had fair luck with the Bulldog adhesion promoter and then Rustoleum paints over that.
Currently working on the Gen-1 project side panels and rear fender using Bulldog as the base and then Rustoleum 2x Real Orange Gloss, and will finish with 2x Clear Gloss.
I've been using a Duplicolor sandable filler in red and Rustoleum 2X Ultracover. Probably lots of better things out there but this works and has been very durable. The final color is very close to the red plastics.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went and did some highway miles with my new 2022 klr. 1,300 miles so far. It really has amazing torque. Cruised just fine at 70mph. Comfortable ride never got sore. I'm a new rider and every day I have a different opinion on what tire I want next. Mostly road driving but love gravel. The D750 are not great on gravel. Trying to decide between shinko 705 and the Bridgestone battlax.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went and did some highway miles with my new 2022 klr. 1,300 miles so far. It really has amazing torque. Cruised just fine at 70mph. Comfortable ride never got sore. I'm a new rider and every day I have a different opinion on what tire I want next. Mostly road driving but love gravel. The D750 are not great on gravel. Trying to decide between shinko 705 and the Bridgestone battlax.
I've been running 705s the last year, they're good as a 70/30 tire, I would say most adventure conditions except mud. They wear well also. I used Conti Escapes before that and they were similar in performance, though I like the 705 tread patten more and they're a good price. The Battlax has great rubber compound, but I've only used them as a street tire.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Got my mutant cowling and fender mounted, printed a Kawi decal and reused a headlight guard I had made before. I also formed a new dash from a battery box, the plastic is very similar to the stock dash.
Looking damn good there - KLR04!

Can you show us how you're working that dash?
I have a challenge in deciding how best to fit the Trailtech Vapor into the gap behind my black cowling.

261 - 280 of 344 Posts