Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
281 - 300 of 309 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Got my mutant cowling and fender mounted, printed a Kawi decal and reused a headlight guard I had made before. I also formed a new dash from a battery box, the plastic is very similar to the stock dash.
Looking damn good there - KLR04!

Can you show us how you're working that dash?
I have a challenge in deciding how best to fit the Trailtech Vapor into the gap behind my black cowling.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looking damn good there - KLR04!

Can you show us how you're working that dash?
I have a challenge in deciding how best to fit the Trailtech Vapor into the gap behind my black cowling.
Super simple.. just a flat piece of abs. I had some edging material to finish it.
Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tire Tread

·
Registered
31 Posts
Now I'm working on a windshield. I bought a used cruiser windshield off a guy for $10, and I'm trying to chop it down into a Parabellum style. It's working out really well... this is the first cut, I'm probably going up narrow it a little..
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got my knock off windshield pretty much finished today, trimmed it down a little and smoothed out the edges, then lined up the mounting holes. This is the second windshield I've hacked, first one was destroyed in my recent crash.
Here's the new one...
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

and the first one I did, which I really liked...
Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
15 Posts
Installed the Thermo-bob on my 2012 KLR - works exactly as advertised. Installed the Eagle Mike doohickey last weekend. Original doohickey was fine, the spring was just about done though. I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse now!

Wayne

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 Adventure
44 Posts
Break-in maintenance was completed today. Also rerouted some accessory wires.

Also helped a buddy troubleshoot his gen 1 carb issues.

I broke my windshield. Anyone know of any aftermarket windshields that fit the 2022?

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Today, pulled the engine. Need to replace the crank. View attachment 30919 View attachment 30920 View attachment 30921

I don't recall reading previously anything about your bike needing a crankshaft replacement.
And I can't see anything amiss in the current pic, as that must be the New Crankshaft.

So may you show us, tell us what is wrong with your engines crankshaft?

I would like to see this failure & repair in its Own Thread,
In this section, 1987 through 2007 KLR650 Wrenching & Mods If possible?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't recall reading previously anything about your bike needing a crankshaft replacement.
And I can't see anything amiss in the current pic, as that must be the New Crankshaft.

So may you show us, tell us what is wrong with your engines crankshaft?

I would like to see this failure & repair in its Own Thread,
In this section, 1987 through 2007 KLR650 Wrenching & Mods If possible?
Ohhhh it's a bit of a story... simplest explanation is engine damage secondary to an accident, not a failure. The woodruff key for the stator got crushed in the slot, literally no way to remove it (I tried everything to the point of damaging the crankshaft). No idea where the best section to post is, but I'm open to whatever a moderator would like.

·
Administrator
9,228 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 Adventure
44 Posts
ThermoBob 2, painted the 2022 camo hi-viz orange, added tach, added temp gauge, changed out crappy plastic dash clips for good ones, searched for a spot for my big bad max air horn up no avail. I got the wiring done and tested it, though. Engine temp torture test.

Any suggestions on where to hide a large air horn on the 2022? It's about the size of a hotel bible.

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 Adventure Non-ABS
19 Posts
ThermoBob 2, painted the 2022 camo hi-viz orange, added tach, added temp gauge, changed out crappy plastic dash clips for good ones, searched for a spot for my big bad max air horn up no avail. I got the wiring done and tested it, though. Engine temp torture test.

Any suggestions on where to hide a large air horn on the 2022? It's about the size of a hotel bible.
I also tried to mount up an air horn, yesterday, the Denali sound bomb. I also did not have any luck finding a place it fits. I will try again, and let you know if successful.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,435 Posts
On Gen2’s, that’s where an air valve was mounted for the exhaust air injection emissions control crap. It may be for the same reason in other markets, but isn’t used on US bikes.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
18 Posts
ThermoBob 2, painted the 2022 camo hi-viz orange, added tach, added temp gauge,
Did you use the kit from 3D Cycle? The one with the tach too? How was the install? Seriously considering this myself....not the Hi-Vis orange part though. LOL. The camo is growing on me now! I mounted up a nice Pelican look alike trunk myself...usually not a fan of trunks but this bike screams for one.

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 Adventure
44 Posts
Did you use the kit from 3D Cycle? The one with the tach too? How was the install? Seriously considering this myself....not the Hi-Vis orange part though. LOL. The camo is growing on me now! I mounted up a nice Pelican look alike trunk myself...usually not a fan of trunks but this bike screams for one.
I got my Bob/tach/temp kit directly from Watt-Man. The whole thing probably took an hour or so (not including fairing removal/replacement), and I've been pretty satisfied with it. I'm a winter rider, so having the engine running at 195°F-ish is a boon worth obtaining outside of maintenance benefits.

Here's the short and skinny on the mod as I did it:
1. Remove old thermostat and replace with new one and bypass housing
2. Splice coolant hoses
3. Tighten up and attach system and test thoroughly

My bike happily sits between 185°F and 215°F now. Should be pretty easy if you follow the directions. There aren't a lot of parts and it's pretty straight forward.

281 - 300 of 309 Posts