Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
301 - 320 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thermobob, temp gauge, tach, and new mirrors on the 2022. I also (finally) adjusted my headlight.
View attachment 31195
View attachment 31196
View attachment 31197
I got the guilts, so just adjusted my headlights too. Is the Thermobob necessary in hot climates? to my understanding it’s mainly for cold climates, or do I have it back to front. I like the temp and tachometer gauges. Any reason you didn’t complete the trio and get the volt meter. Would there have been enough room for the three gauges?

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 Adventure Non-ABS
27 Posts
I got the guilts, so just adjusted my headlights too. Is the Thermobob necessary in hot climates? to my understanding it’s mainly for cold climates, or do I have it back to front. I like the temp and tachometer gauges. Any reason you didn’t complete the trio and get the volt meter. Would there have been enough room for the three gauges?
From my understanding. The thermo-bob helps keep temps in a more ideal range for engine life and performance. Without it, the temps swing from hot to cool, enough in just normal riding, to cause the cylinder to warp, and change shape over time.

The thermo-bob kit came with the temp gauge for the 2022, I got the tach mostly to fill out the space. I'm sure if you spaced the other 2 gauges further apart, you would be able to fit a third between them. I already have a small volt indicator near the battery on the frame.

All of these parts were purchased from Tu at 3DCycleParts: https://3dcycleparts.com/Watt-Man-TB2A-TE-Thermo-Bob-&-Temp-Gauge-Kit-KLR650-2022-p391217842

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
And went for a ride.
I'll suggest that your front tire may feel more secure on dirt, sand & gravel if you Reverse its direction of rotation
(Regardless of any possible arrow on its sidewall).
A front tire is always 'driven' by the roadway never 'driving/pulling' the bike forward. It is driven even harder when using the brakes properly.

Think about this, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< vs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> imprint on the ground.

One direction 'scoops' the sand, gravel, dirt, mud & water into the centerline of the tire.
The other direction 'scoots' the sand, gravel, dirt, mud & water towards the sides of the tire. Keeping the centerline in better contact with firmer ground.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll suggest that your front tire may feel more secure on dirt, sand & gravel if you Reverse its direction of rotation
(Regardless of any possible arrow on its sidewall).
A front tire is always 'driven' by the roadway never 'driving/pulling' the bike forward. It is driven even harder when using the brakes properly.

Think about this, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< vs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> imprint on the ground.

One direction 'scoops' the sand, gravel, dirt, mud & water into the centerline of the tire.
The other direction 'scoots' the sand, gravel, dirt, mud & water towards the sides of the tire. Keeping the centerline in better contact with firmer ground.
Thanks for the feedback.

Having spent some time in tyre manufacture in a previous life, the arrow on the tire showing direction is quite important as it allows for the tread to not delaminate under load, in the case of a front tire, under braking. It is quite common for front tires to be used on the rear (in customer applications) and vice versa where it is critical to install counter the arrow if it is being used in the opposite wheel for which is was designed. If this tyre tread was facing the wrong way, I would not reverse it against the arrow as it is specifically designed for the front wheel and reversing it could have catastrophic results under hard braking.

·
Registered
289 Posts
What is your winterizing routine? I fill mine with ethanol free hi test gas
run it with the fuel pet-cock shut off till the carb is dry, clean oil or a fresh
oil change and connect the battery to a battery maintainer. It then spends
the winter in a heated shop.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Sorry to but in on this but am I looking at it the wrong way or is it already fitted the correct way as per your description ?
No, it is not.
Ok, let me try this. imagine looking at the tire from 'the worms eye view'.

Currently Bigjaype's tire has the vee pattern rolling forward like normal tractor tread, correct?
Vee like this, (\/) as viewed from the front. Normal tractor tread is for a 'Driving' tire. It scoots the loose soil out to the sides, if it is slipping/spinning.
So for a 2 wheel drive bike it could be considered correct. But it will tend to plug-up during braking.

During normal motorcycle braking, when the (\/) imprints into the ground it sort of 'scoops' the soil into its centerline.

When the tractor tread patterns vee are installed reversed on a normal motorcycle (/\) as viewed from the front, the vee tends to 'scoot' the soil or water to the sides, even during normal rolling and especially during braking. Stabilizing the tire grip.

Look at "11x" front tire directly above this post. It is Correct for a bike!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the explanation PD, it took me a while to visualise this ( it’s 4.50am in the morning here and I just finished work, that’s my excuse anyway 😁) if I am understanding it correctly it is pushing the water, mud, or whatever FORWARDS but away from the centre? is this correct or do I need to have another scotch. I don’t normally have a scotch at this hour of the morning 🤥 but while driving back from Cairns at around 12.40am I saw a bloke standing against a rest area toilet block wall (outside obviously) stark naked, a torch in one hand and something else in the other 😳 and let’s just say enjoying himself…. shit, I need another Scotch. It takes all kinds to make the world go round as they say.

·
Registered
60 Posts
No, it is not.
Ok, let me try this. imagine looking at the tire from 'the worms eye view'.

Currently Bigjaype's tire has the vee pattern rolling forward like normal tractor tread, correct?
Vee like this, (\/) as viewed from the front. Normal tractor tread is for a 'Driving' tire. It scoots the loose soil out to the sides, if it is slipping/spinning.
So for a 2 wheel drive bike it could be considered correct. But it will tend to plug-up during braking.

During normal motorcycle braking, when the (\/) imprints into the ground it sort of 'scoops' the soil into its centerline.

When the tractor tread patterns vee are installed reversed on a normal motorcycle (/\) as viewed from the front, the vee tends to 'scoot' the soil or water to the sides, even during normal rolling and especially during braking. Stabilizing the tire grip.

Look at "11x" front tire directly above this post. It is Correct for a bike!
OK, you've got my old grey matter going!

Based on your representation:

Which is more desirable? Red or green?

From what I surmise, mine will leave the Red imprint. Assuming direction of travel is from right to left as per the pic I posted. The red KLR will leave the same imprint but will be travelling left to right. If it were travelling right to left, like mine, it would leave the green imprint.

Tonight I'll check the rotational arrow on the tire and see which way it's been fitted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You are correct. My bike will leave the green while traveling right to left. Think of it this way. From right to left under breaking on the front tire would essentially be the same as the rear tire headed left to right under power. The point of the v digging in to provide traction.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Believe it or not, my dealer actually installed it the correct way without my instruction. Lol. Here’s a better picture for reference
The mechanic could have actually correctly read the sidewall.
The Shinko E705 'Trail Master' front tires have 'Dual Arrows'.
One arrow for a Driven tire like 99.999% of all motorcycle front tires.

And a second arrow for a 'Driving tire', like might be used on a sidecar with a lock-up axle. But I have never in my life seen any motorcycle (or pic of a motorcycle) with a 21inch rear wheel.

From what I surmise, mine will leave the Red imprint. Assuming direction of travel is from right to left as per the pic I posted. The red KLR will leave the same imprint but will be travelling left to right. If it were travelling right to left, like mine, it would leave the green imprint.
Correct.

Reactions: 11x

·
Registered
60 Posts
The mechanic could have actually correctly read the sidewall.
The Shinko E705 'Trail Master' front tires have 'Dual Arrows'.
One arrow for a Driven tire like 99.999% of all motorcycle front tires.

And a second arrow for a 'Driving tire', like might be used on a sidecar with a lock-up axle. But I have never in my life seen any motorcycle (or pic of a motorcycle) with a 21inch rear wheel.

Correct.
So which is desirable...red or green?

301 - 320 of 342 Posts