Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sound louder than the original (as I remember - mine died awhile ago). The two-toned European sound gets your attention. Not as loud as the Stebel Air Horn some use but it’s a much simpler replacement and no horn relay needed. Only draw 1.8A and it’s only momentary loading anyway. Price is right.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Getting ready to tear into it.
That job is really quite easy. Specially if you’ve watched a few YouTube videos. My only advice, use brand new gaskets. I used my old ones (4K mi.) as others did in the videos and they leaked. Got to tear it apart a 2nd time. Being a former mech. I should have known better. We never did that. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Being a former mech. I should have known better. We never did that.
I agree.
When a shop is doing it for a customer they can not afford to do it a second time for 'Free' because of weepy gaskets.
So always new gaskets in-spite of the extra labor time to clean surfaces & the expense of the gaskets. And yes the customer has to pay for that extra time.
Sometimes some gaskets can be a real PITA! The paper gaskets on Z & KZ valve covers come to my mind.

Reusing gaskets on our own bikes (but avoid using RTV sealant on them) or a carefree buddies bike in our own garage is acceptable if we occasionally wash our bikes.

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
73 Posts
Do you ever grease a new gasket so it might be easier to re-use ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Do you ever grease a new gasket so it might be easier to re-use ?
No, I have not. If I did it would be non oil based, like silicone grease but I don’t think I’d ever need too. I stopped using gasket sealers long ago (unless I have a leaky problem child or are forced to use the old one ) because they are often a PITA later to remove and clean up if you have to go back in. As you know many new gaskets already have a sealer applied. Occasionally black RTV is needed to reseal neoprene gaskets. Haven’t needed to pull the valve cover on the KLR yet but it’s coming soon for its first valve shim check. I’ll check around here first whether or not that reseals well without RTV.

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Haven’t needed to pull the valve cover on the KLR yet but it’s coming soon for its first valve shim check. I’ll check around here first whether or not that reseals well without RTV.
The oem KLR re-usable rubber valve cover gasket re-seals perfectly on both upper & lower surfaces with Zero (0) RTV silicone useage, even at the cam tunnel eye balls. One should clean Off the little bit of RTV that K used around those eyeballs, from both the aluminum & the rubber ribs.

I got about 25 years & 65,000 miles out of my original.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
The oem KLR re-usable rubber valve cover gasket re-seals perfectly on both upper & lower surfaces...
I'm going to check the valve clearances on my bike soon. I'm hoping to reuse the gasket, but bought a replacement just in case. Since I now have a spare, I probably won't need it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The oem KLR re-usable rubber valve cover gasket re-seals perfectly on both upper & lower surfaces with Zero (0) RTV silicone useage, even at the cam tunnel eye balls. One should clean Off the little bit of RTV that K used around those eyeballs, from both the aluminum & the rubber ribs.

I got about 25 years & 65,000 miles out of my original.
Thx for that response PDW! Saved me looking for that answer. This Summer I’ll follow your advice. 👍🏻

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bolted up the rear plastic inner fender. The bolts were missing causing the plastic piece to rest on the muffler and melt while riding.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Bought a new (used) custom seat and put it on my bike today, then rode about 90 miles. It replaces the 2016 seat I have. This was made by Mr. Ed’s Custom Moto in Albany, OR. I like it a lot so far.

·
Registered
2008 KLR650
15 Posts
I bled/replaced all of the OLD brake fluid out of front and rear on my recently acquired 2008 KLR650. I swear that had to be the original fluid. Dang it was the color of dark bourbon. Took it around the block after and the brakes feel fantastic now. I just don't understand somebody risking the safety of their ride over 15 minutes of labor and 5 bucks worth of DOT4...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Put her away for a couple days. In the last couple weeks have done the Doohickey, carb needle/jet kit, idle mixture screw, subframe bolts, skid plate, removed snorkel, USB port, changed carb diaphragm/slide for puncture, carb Allen head bolt kit to replace screws and ordered tires. And changed the starter motor on the Eldorado.

now I’m stuck at work.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts