Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2008 KLR650
48 Posts
Two packages showed up from EM and Rocky Mtn. around noon.
Installed the KLX needle kit, a 42 pilot jet and a 142 main. Drilled out the welch plug on the mixture adjustment screw and set it per EM instructions. Replaced the carb cover screws with allen.
Then, I installed a brand spanking new [x ring chain and new front and rear sprockets.
Topped it off with a 30 mile test ride in 65 degree spring weather. Nice.
The carb rejet has turned my KLR and FMF exhaust into a nicely toned machine instead of sounding like a fourth of July fireworks display. Throttle felt more responsive and perhaps a bit more power, especially through the 2k-3.5k rpm range. Also it coasts when I ease off the throttle now instead of aggressively engine braking.
Best part is being able to ride without all that dang popping in the exhaust.
Thanks for all the advice yall.
Cheers
Jerry

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
235 Posts
Had a new rear tire installed and balanced. Previous tire was a Metzler Karoo 3. I've been happy with it, so simply installed a new one. I estimate >5,000 miles on the old tire.

Replaced a couple broken spokes and trued the wheel at the same time.

New and old tires. I trust you can tell which is which.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Got ButtUuggly on the lift, getting ready to replace the fork seals...Blew the left one riding in TX...I have to say they are both original from 2006, no complaints.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Pulled the panniers, side covers, and seat off to do a battery service; I'm glad I did, as a couple of cells were a little low.
- Finally deleted the two seat retaining bolts and strung up a Rox Strap to secure the rear seat, yet make things like the battery and fuses more accessible.

·
Registered
2018 KLR 650 Camo
16 Posts
Finally got the Tusk side pannier racks installed. Pilot soft bag mounting plates and Tusk Large hard pannier boxes on the way. The hardest part is done.

·
Registered
2018 KLR 650 Camo
16 Posts
The Tusk soft pannier mounting plates arrived. Bolted the racks onto the plates and lashed the Tusk Pilot panniers to the plates. Next up, the new SW-Motech luggage plate and the Apache 4800 top box. Slowly but surely the Tank is shaping up.
:cool:

·
Registered
2008 KLR650
48 Posts
With all the posts about the rear suspension linkage (and the cold snap we're having) I decided to dig into the '08 and inspect and grease the needle bearings. Three hours later...Whew. I hope I can wait a few years before doing that again. A liberal application of Lucas marine grease (I use it on boat trailer hubs) and some RTV in the two drain holes will hopefully make it less of a chore next time. Some PB Blaster and a BFH were very helpful. I also removed and greased the rear swingarm and removed and inspected the shock. I would never have considered tackling these tasks without yalls advice. Thanks guys.

Cheers
Jerry

·
Registered
2018 KLR 650 Camo
16 Posts
Got an aluminum plate from SW-Motech for the rack. Used 4 bolts with fender washers and rubber washers for waterproofing. It's solid. Here's a pic.

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
61 Posts
Mounted these today. Harbor Freight 4800 Apache boxes. Rack had four holes with preexisting threads. Measured their size and pitch and got some hex bolts and washer to fashion it on.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
910 Posts
I installed the JNS Engineering footpeg lowering brackets. Wish I could say it was a simple bolt-on, but nothing is ever that simple. In my case, the frame brackets had the threads stripped at some point in the past, and a PO drilled them out and retapped for M8 bolts. So I had to drill out the JNS brackets to 13/32” to allow the bolts to pass through.

After I got them on, i tested the seating position, and I like the new foot position because it opens up the thigh-to-lower back angle. The stock position is good to start with, but this is better.

Someone else reported recently that the JNS footpeg brackets did not fit with the SW Motech crash bars and center stand. I have both and did not have any interference problems.

One downside: the repositioned foot pegs block access to the infamous lower pivot bolt. Since I’m still working on getting that out, I put the stock brackets back on until I get that bolt out and regreased and back in.

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
61 Posts
I installed the JNS Engineering footpeg lowering brackets. Wish I could say it was a simple bolt-on, but nothing is ever that simple. In my case, the frame brackets had the threads stripped at some point in the past, and a PO drilled them out and retapped for M8 bolts. So I had to drill out the JNS brackets to 13/32” to allow the bolts to pass through.

After I got them on, i tested the seating position, and I like the new foot position because it opens up the thigh-to-lower back angle. The stock position is good to start with, but this is better.

Someone else reported recently that the JNS footpeg brackets did not fit with the SW Motech crash bars and center stand. I have both and did not have any interference problems.

One downside: the repositioned foot pegs block access to the infamous lower pivot bolt. Since I’m still working on getting that out, I put the stock brackets back on until I get that bolt out and regreased and back in.
My recent four hour ride to Chattanooga illuminated that angle to me. Thanks for the write up/pointers.

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
In my case, the frame brackets had the threads stripped at some point in the past, and a PO drilled them out and retapped for M8 bolts.
8mm is the oem standard size. You probably meant to say they were enlarged to 10mm bolts.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts