Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Added a set of Chase Harper 3685 Dual Sport saddlebags. Fit perfectly butted up to the rack and front edge does not interfere with the back of your legs. Narrow build does not stick out into the wind so no detectable drag. 225mi test ride was still at 50mpg. (90/10 road/off-road). With 8lbs in each side they stayed put off-road (bumpy fire road) Seem to seal well though I haven’t been in rain yet and they hold their shape well. Rain covers are avail. Haven’t tried with a Pillion Pass. yet but would be tight spacing. OEM heat shield on the Gen2 between the muffler and side panel protects the right bag from heat. I’m going to bond some sheepskin onto the bag’s backside to give a bit more abrasion protection for the side panels.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,095 Posts
Which ones—the 4 that hold on the windshield, or the two bigger ones that hold on the upper fairing to the support bracket?

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
280 Posts
Which ones—the 4 that hold on the windshield, or the two bigger ones that hold on the upper fairing to the support bracket?
The two bigger ones that hold the fairing to the support bracket. I loosened the fairing to remove the dash to install the thermobob temp gauge overlay.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,095 Posts
If you have to replace those well nuts, they are about 5 bucks each at the Kawi dealer, but you can get a package of 3 at NAPA for about the same price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Added a set of Chase Harper 3685 Dual Sport saddlebags. Fit perfectly butted up to the rack and front edge does not interfere with the back of your legs. Narrow build does not stick out into the wind so no detectable drag. 225mi test ride was still at 50mpg. (90/10 road/off-road). With 8lbs in each side they stayed put off-road (bumpy fire road) Seem to seal well though I haven’t been in rain yet and they hold their shape well. Rain covers are avail. Haven’t tried with a Pillion Pass. yet but would be tight spacing. OEM heat shield on the Gen2 between the muffler and side panel protects the right bag from heat. I’m going to bond some sheepskin onto the bag’s backside to give a bit more abrasion protection for the side panels.
Bike looks good! Those bags look perfect for day trips. I've been wanting to get some larger soft bags for multi day trips.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Today I just finished putting lowering links on, took all of twenty minutes and yesterday I put 30mm risers on it with new D-Flex Pro handguards. Have spotlights on the way with a mounting bracket that goes on where the fender mounts, should be here Thursday.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The two bigger ones that hold the fairing to the support bracket. I loosened the fairing to remove the dash to install the thermobob temp gauge overlay.
Have you had the TB very long and if so do you notice any difference on how the motor runs and do you like it? The TB is on my short list of things to get.

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
88 Posts
Have you had the TB very long and if so do you notice any difference on how the motor runs and do you like it? The TB is on my short list of things to get.
I’ve ridden about 1k miles since I installed mine. Rode in 82 degree stand still traffic today as well, temperature stays steady center when I’m moving on cold mornings and the cooling system performs normally when it’s hot out and not moving. I’m happy with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's a new year so we start a new thread. Who is doing something to their KLR today?
I sadly listed my model year 2000 for sale. I injured my back and can't ride any great distance. I've been a lurker on this site since 2017 with very few comments. I cannot list my bike for sale here because of the "15" classifieds rule. I have $3800 of installed and mostly non installed mods and it only has 2500 miles on it. I'm hoping folk here will engage with me so that I can bring my 7 comments up to 15 so that I can list it here. I think folks here will be able to appreciate the offer better than non KLR folk. The mods purchased where intended to make it an overlander for camping and distance trips. Anyway if you would'nt mind replying to this so that I can reply to you, I would appreciate it. I feel that If I list it here it will go to a good home. Thanks in advance. Alan

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Sorry about your back. Wish you luck with the sale.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I’ve been tinkering on a new-to-me Gen 1 for the past couple weeks.

Today I removed the choke cable and added a plunger-style enrichner from a Harley.

And I installed one of those finger adjustable air—fuel mixture screws.

Among a dozen other things...

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
172 Posts
You can go to the 'tests' forum and run up your post count ...

·
Administrator
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I sadly listed my model year 2000 for sale. I injured my back and can't ride any great distance. I've been a lurker on this site since 2017 with very few comments. I cannot list my bike for sale here because of the "15" classifieds rule. I have $3800 of installed and mostly non installed mods and it only has 2500 miles on it. I'm hoping folk here will engage with me so that I can bring my 7 comments up to 15 so that I can list it here. I think folks here will be able to appreciate the offer better than non KLR folk. The mods purchased where intended to make it an overlander for camping and distance trips. Anyway if you would'nt mind replying to this so that I can reply to you, I would appreciate it. I feel that If I list it here it will go to a good home. Thanks in advance. Alan
@alanwestport . I tried to artificially inflate your post count but couldn’t find a way to do it with this new forum software. Go ahead and post your ad in this thread and a Moderator will move it to the Marketplace.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I feel your pain, I’ve had a few neck surgeries myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had double lung transplant, and have tried real hard not to let it ruin my love
for bikes. When I couldnt ride, it was a bummer. Do what you can, to get back
on that bike. My girl asked why it was so important. I told her, it was the only time
i felt freedom and just plain "cool".

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had double lung transplant, and have tried real hard not to let it ruin my love
for bikes. When I couldnt ride, it was a bummer. Do what you can, to get back
on that bike. My girl asked why it was so important. I told her, it was the only time
i felt freedom and just plain "cool".
When a person has been riding for 35+ years and in a heartbeat it’s taken away for a time or permanently it becomes a real hard issue to deal with, I was out for a couple years and last fall just started to baby my way back in the saddle, 3 heart attacks, 2 different pacemakers due to one going bad and a morphine pump in lower back for chronic pain..it gets old real fast. Just being able to ride a short distance opens up the soul.

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
88 Posts
Installed a Thermobob 2. I think the gold finish gives the bike a little bling.

View attachment 29315
Nice! Just got mine on last month.

Heads up, you may want to flip the hose clamp that’s holding at the 90 degree brass outlet return so the clamps phillips head is on the lower side of the hose vs the top between the hose and thermo housing.

This way you’ll still have access to the spark plug drain hole coming through the bottom of the thermobob whereas right now it is blocked by said clamp.

Reactions: pdwestman
81 - 100 of 149 Posts