Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Installed an EM 685 Forged Pisten kit and had him refurbish the cylinder head. Got it all back together with EM's written instructions and the Clymer manual. It started fine and I just completed the break-in. Tomorrow I'll see what the lighter piston and a bit of extra HP feels like.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nothing to interesting but I removed the Big Gun slip on muffler assembly and put a OEM muffler back on, waiting for my spot lights to show up today so that will be the other item I’ll have done today.

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
283 Posts
Heads up, you may want to flip the hose clamp that’s holding at the 90 degree brass outlet return so the clamps phillips head is on the lower side of the hose vs the top between the hose and thermo housing.

This way you’ll still have access to the spark plug drain hole coming through the bottom of the thermobob whereas right now it is blocked by said clamp.
Ah, good idea. Done.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,095 Posts
Today I lubed and adjusted the throttle and clutch cables and extended the clutch release lever 0.5”. Easier to use and better engagement control.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
...And then I pulled off the cam cover to check valve clearances. Left In-.008”, Right In-.0095, left Ex-.004”, Right Ex-.009”. The right intake is a little on the loose side, but not enough to bother me. The right exhaust is nice, and the left exhaust is too tight.

Now I need to pull the cams and see what size shims I have. Hope I can swap them around or use some of the leftovers I have from when I had EM do the valve job on my 2013 head. But my guess is I’ll need a thinner shim than I have.

And here’s a picture of my extended clutch release arm. I added 1/2” (13mm). Not as neat as Twin Headlight Ernie’s conversion, but it will hold. I also ground a notch with my Dremel on the back of the clutch cable bracket to allow the bracket to rotate clockwise about 10 degrees against the aluminum post that sticks up from the engine case.

9FBBBDC5-16E7-46B6-8133-287F3C97F245.jpeg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tomorrow it’s short kickstand day, today I wired up my front spotlights so nothing to exciting today, think I’ll bypass the kickstand switch when I put on the other kickstand.

·
Registered
123 Posts
And here’s a picture of my extended clutch release arm. I added 1/2” (13mm). Not as neat as Twin Headlight Ernie’s conversion, but it will hold. I also ground a notch with my Dremel on the back of the clutch cable bracket to allow the bracket to rotate clockwise about 10 degrees against the aluminum post that sticks up from the engine case.

View attachment 29363
I went with a bolt on plate instead of welding. The improvement in ease of pull and feel is really noticeable.
20210330_174122.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just cleaned up the double kickstand spring and went out to shop and installed it back on my new short kickstand, I noticed that the 2 prong lever had one side cut or broken off and it was turned around so it doesn’t even move with the kickstand when you put the stand down so the switch doesn’t work with the stand but if you put the stand down and move the lever with your finger then it works and goes back up when you put the stand up. No need to remove the switch and put a jumper in it.
Now I can start riding it.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Today I pulled the cams and checked the shim thicknesses. I had one in my stash that I could use, but I still needed a 230 shim, so ended up driving all over town to get it. Got home and installed the new shim, reinstalled the cams and caps and rechecked the clearances: now Left In-.008”, right In-.007”, left Ex-.009”, right Ex-.009”. I also disconnected all the electrical connectors from the steering head back, greased them, and reconnected.

I will do a compression check tomorrow. If everything is good, I’ll put on the cam cover, reinstall the stuff I had to remove, and then the IMS tank. Should be rideable tomorrow.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I did the big one today took me all of 7 minutes or so, put a new oiled air filter in it, the one that was in it from previous owner was a bit dirty so I’m glad I did it.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
I did the big one today took me all of 7 minutes or so, put a new oiled air filter in it, the one that was in it from previous owner was a bit dirty so I’m glad I did it.
I truly hope that you did NOT use the K&N air filter oil you mentioned earlier!! (I tried to warn you did you not read it?)
K&N oil is for Cotton Gauze air filters only.
NOT for use on foam air filters & especially extremely coarse foam filters like the Uni-Filter. It will drain out of foam filters and then dust will pass thru the dry pores. Destroying Your Engine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I truly hope that you did NOT use the K&N air filter oil you mentioned earlier!! (I tried to warn you did you not read it?)
K&N oil is for Cotton Gauze air filters only.
NOT for use on foam air filters & especially extremely coarse foam filters like the Uni-Filter. It will drain out of foam filters and then dust will pass thru the dry pores. Destroying Your Engine.
I’m going to rectify the the issue but at the moment I’m out of cleaner, I’ll let it sit till I clean it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
K&N should probably put that on their can, NOT FOR FOAM FILTERS I’ve been using it for years on my Harleys. Going out and giving my new filter a 10-40 oil bath, that should be ok till I get some UNI or PJ1. Isn’t engine oil one of the oem recommendations.?

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
They don't care, they sell oil.
Whether its the correct oil for the correct application is not of their concern. It for the consumer to research and confirm proper useage.
I wouldn't use this in a KLR either, Motor Oil | Full Synthetic | K&N

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
Isn’t engine oil one of the oem recommendations.?
For the fine pored OEM foam air filter, it is.
I actually prefer the easier clean-out of straight grade SAE40 engine oil from the fine pored OEM foam air filters.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don’t want to put wrong oil on so I’ll just order UNI or ive read good reviews about the PJ1 either way I’ll do it the right way. Be nicer if I lived in a big city or closer to a big city, it would make somethings a bit easier.

·
Registered
1985 KLR600
47 Posts
Replaced my clutch handle.

5’3” me was getting use to that seat height taller then my inseam and tipped it at a stop. Broke the end off.

Can one leg it fine now.

101 - 120 of 149 Posts