Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,095 Posts
Get bark busters for your handlebars. You’ll save the cost of several sets of hand levers. 😕

·
Premium Member
2017 KLR, '93 VMax, '08 FJR
13 Posts
Added peg lowering mounts. That was a pleasant upgrade. That minor adjustment added ride comfort, improved standing posture, and finally able to shift with riding boots. I had been using the side toe of my boot welt for upshifts, even with the Tusk shifter previously added. Took a bit to figure the correct bolt length given the SW center stand. Then took it for a short test spin at 8 pm, started listening to Midnight Rider..., but the lonesome road goes on forever out here, and the test ride never ends. There is something about the KLR and riding quietly through sleepy country towns. Got back at 11:15 pm. Tested some new riding pants as well on the ride (Bull-It oiled pants are surprisingly warm, but I bet will be sweaty come summer).

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Just noticed this open hole on the right side of the engine.
Looks like you are probably seeing the Spark Plug Pocket water drain hole, under the thermostat housing.

Yes it needs to be open. I always try to back-flush it when I wash the bike with garden hose. If the pocket won't drain, I insert a wire & wiggle it around.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
On my 2013 KLR, I removed the pivot bolts of the suspension and cleaned and greased the needle bearings in the swing arm and lever assembly. That was a PITA. I was able to get the long lower pivot bolt out without too much pounding because I had saturated it with Kroil through the holes in the lower frame a couple weeks ago. The bearings weren’t dry, but they didn’t have much grease in them either. I used a moly grease for CV joints and squished it into the rollers with my fingers.

I also removed the Touratech shock and rotated it a bit to create more space with the hydraulic line to the external preload adjuster. That also was a PITA because getting that assembly out required removing more stuff to gain access. I think that if I were buying a new shock for it (either Touratech or Cogent) I would not buy the model with the external adjuster. Since I generally set the shock to allow 1/3 sag, and then rarely touch it again, the external adjuster just adds crap that weighs more and gets in the way. Keep it simple.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Later this evening, I finished installing the JNS peg lowering brackets in my 2013. I like the new leg position. I’ll have put some miles on it to see how well they work on the long haul and off pavement.

I also picked up my Shorai battery I ordered from Cycle Gear today. That goes in tomorrow morning. Then I ride it to test.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
172 Posts
I put those on my ‘14.5 and although I really like the position, I find that the brake pedal is now too high. It was easy to adjust the shifter, but the brake pedal doesn’t seem adjustable ?

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
It was easy to adjust the shifter, but the brake pedal doesn’t seem adjustable ?
Sure it is.
Loosen the 12mm nut. Remove the cotter pin & clevis pin from the pedal. Turn the clevis RH to adjust pedal tip down, test fitting clevis pin a couple times. Reinstall cotter pin, retighten nut. Re-Adjust Brake Light Switch.

Reactions: DirtMTB

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
172 Posts
Well ... why didn’t I see that ??
Thank You Sir 👍

·
Registered
94 Posts
Later this evening, I finished installing the JNS peg lowering brackets in my 2013. I like the new leg position. I’ll have put some miles on it to see how well they work on the long haul and off pavement.

I also picked up my Shorai battery I ordered from Cycle Gear today. That goes in tomorrow morning. Then I ride it to test.
I like the JNS foot peg brackets, much more comfortable for me. What brand of footpegs are those? They look like they would be pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
I don’t know the brand of the pegs. I couldn’t find a name on them and they were installed by the PO. But they work well.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
I discovered a broken doohickey on my 1998 project bike today. Ordered a new one from EM.
D70F5900-B7A4-43F7-84FE-531BF2BF80A2.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 KLR. Black with stuff.
4 Posts

Hey mate. Hope you are well. Tell me, what is the bracket (cage/protector/whatever) that you have over the rear brake linkages? I have been looking everywhere for something like that.

·
Administrator
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Reactions: DuaneKLR650

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
280 Posts
Hey mate. Hope you are well. Tell me, what is the bracket (cage/protector/whatever) that you have over the rear brake linkages? I have been looking everywhere for something like that.
I have one from Happy Trail and am happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Duane, I don’t know what brand mine is. The PO installed it. The other guys gave you links and there are several suppliers.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts