Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
241 - 260 of 306 Posts

· Registered
'08 KLR
442 Posts
A little cruddy on the inside of some of the sleeves
I see that corrosion and I shudder. You got it out just in time. You do not want to weld a press frame out of ¼ wall 2x3 rectangular tubing and use a 10 ton jack along with a BFH just to get that shaft to budge, like i did. Ill guarantee it had never been out/greased on my new-to-me 20k '08 since it was assembled at the factory. Lots of Red & Tacky on reassemble, and it's coming apart every two years going forward. It doesn't take that long if you don't have to use extreme means!

· Registered
441 Posts
The new muffler showed up yesterday morning.
Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Cylinder Muffler Bumper

Five minutes later.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

The clamp and liner were a bit of a pain to fit.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Some reflective foil tape on the plastic that's near the muffler.
Wood Wood stain Flooring Floor Hardwood

Some reflective tape on the fender as well.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

I made a spacer to shim the saddle bag bracket out about 1/2" from the muffler. I will get a longer bolt today and install it.
The new main jet should be here today one size larger.

While I was at it I topped up the battery and checked the air filter. Amazingly the air filter was spotlessly clean
but the battery electrolyte was very low. some of the cells were about 1/4 full.

· Registered
54 Posts
I see that corrosion and I shudder. You got it out just in time. You do not want to weld a press frame out of ¼ wall 2x3 rectangular tubing and use a 10 ton jack along with a BFH just to get that shaft to budge, like i did. Ill guarantee it had never been out/greased on my new-to-me 20k '08 since it was assembled at the factory. Lots of Red & Tacky on reassemble, and it's coming apart every two years going forward. It doesn't take that long if you don't have to use extreme means!
Wow @Timlang60, now Im feeling even more lucky! I have read some horror stories about getting that bolt out, but your post really puts that into perspective. (had to look up what BFH meant lol)

(I got the new spring and dropped the shock off yesterday. Once its installed I'll give an update.)

· Premium Member
322 Posts
Today I put my Polisport front fender on and added some armor.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Automotive wheel system

· Registered
91 Posts
Loosen the nut on the brake actuator shaft & adjust the pedal tip to the desired height.
It didn't look to me like there was enough adjustment to drop the pedal as far as I would want, so I didn't even try it initially. But after this suggestion, I maxed out the adjustment and took a longer ride. Pedal position was indeed much better after that, so the lowering brackets are staying put - thanks for the suggestion!

· Premium Member
322 Posts
Went out this morning and did the kickstand bypass.

Reactions: Biggs3118

· Registered
54 Posts
Yesterday while waiting for my shock to come back, I installed the WOW taillight. ($112 shipped, WOW indeed)

The installation of the WOW light would have been super quick, if not for this bit as mentioned on the website:
"If your installation causes a small gap between the tail-light lens and gasket, remove a small amount ( about 1/16") of material from the taillight mounting posts with a small file or rotary tool. This will let the lens seal tight and keep water out."

I wish I had used a dremel because this took awhile before it fit snug.

Photograph Road surface Manhole cover Rectangle Asphalt

I needed to remove enough to make space for the perfboard holders:
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Anyhow, now that it is installed, I am very happy with the flashing and the brightness when the brake is on. The running brightness is not that great, but that is probably because Im only driving it solely off the batterey until I get the bike running again lol. EDIT: I finally got the bike back together and WOW, this thing is bright when the engine is running!! Love it.

At some point I'd also like to try try this $15 light I saw in this video.

· Premium Member
864 Posts
Pulled the swingarm & linkage off to grease the needle bearings. Perfect timing as they were definitely due for fresh grease after 17k miles. (Caught it before any damage started occurring).
Before:
Drinkware Automotive tire Automotive lighting Camera lens Grey

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel Grey

After:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Water Automotive tire Surveillance camera Fluid Motor vehicle

It's my observation that Kawasaki(and most other mfg) skimp on applying grease from the factory. If you're wondering whether or not your bikes bearings have sufficient grease, I'd recommend giving them some love. Probably needs it.

I used a lithium based EP(extreme pressure) moly grease. Should last atleast another 20k or more now.

Best wishes and remember always Ride Hard & often, life is short.

· Premium Member
864 Posts
While installing a 'new' chain I decided to modify the front sprocket cover so that I'd be able to route the stator wires to the 'outside' of the cover; away from the sprocket and 'heat' of the engine cases. Typically those wires get 'crammed' into a small channel between the cover and case. They barely clear the front sprocket(especially with a 16T) and sit against the hot engine cases(I frequently ride in 110degF weather). The way I see it at some point this is going to cause a 'failure' to occur. I also extended the neutral switch wire to be routed down and around as well. The wire already had a small break in the insulation and was quite 'stiff' from heat soak. Failure averted. Being proactive is sometimes the best medicine. Here's pics of my solution:
Automotive tire Vehicle Rim Motor vehicle Hood

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Rim Auto part

Best wishes and ride hard for life is short.

· Premium Member
12,571 Posts
I've done that to a couple of KLR's over the past couple of years. But I partially remove the green Neutral light wire from the sheath and keep it routed in its original channel in the engine case.

· Registered
54 Posts
Installed the rebuilt shock today:
Around $280 including:
When researching the spring I found a ton of conflicting information about recommended spring weights for different load weights. In the end I just went with what is published on the TopGun website as it seems they have done a lot of research on it. But then I read the 2014.5 KLR moved to an 8 kg/mm from the stock 5.1, so idk. Either way, it should be better. (have yet to ride it)

Update: Went for a road ride this weekend and it felt great! I feel way more planted. It is a little harder on my back though lol. Im glad I went with the the 6.6 and not something stiffer...wow, what a difference! I weigh around 190lb plus gear and such.

I also reinstalled the well greased swingarm and linkage bolts. Sure is nice to know that is done, I think if I had waited a few more years it would have been a bigger jog.

Up next, new chain/sprockets, tusk shifter to replace my bent one, and a DOT JNS headlight!

Automotive lighting Coil spring Audio equipment Gas Shock absorber

· Premium Member
322 Posts
Today I installed the silencer on the Delkevik and I also installed the front rotor armor. I also added the Enduro Engineering shock linkage guard. Bolted right up to existing holes.
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fender Vehicle brake
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Crankset Automotive tire

Reactions: DirtMTB and ADV

· Premium Member
864 Posts
Installed the rebuilt shock today:
Around $280 including:
When researching the spring I found a ton of conflicting information about recommended spring weights for different load weights. In the end I just went with what is published on the TopGun website as it seems they have done a lot of research on it. But then I read the 2014.5 KLR moved to an 8 kg/mm from the stock 5.1, so idk. Either way, it should be better. (have yet to ride it)

I also reinstalled the well greased swingarm and linkage bolts. Sure is nice to know that is done, I think if I had waited a few more years it would have been a bigger jog.

Up next, new chain/sprockets, tusk shifter to replace my bent one, and a DOT JNS headlight!

View attachment 37924
Here's the P# for the Schrader valve oring
Honda P# 91307-ML7-004

Reactions: ADV

· Registered
54 Posts
Well, after tinkering on it for the last three weekends I finally got the bike back together today and started! (too tired to ride it yet though).

The Good:
The Bad:
  • I have one left over big head screw, like the kind used to attach the side panels. It may be an extra I had, but Im kicking myself because Im not sure - I looked all over the bike and don't see an open hole. I need to keep better track during disassembly going forward.
  • The bike is a bit taller now due to the 'new' shock (not really bad, but not good lol). It definitely feels stiffer - yet to ride it though.
  • The shifter is too high, need to take it off and adjust it a bit
  • The headlight is also too high - seemed fine in the garage, but when I went out in the driveway it didn't. Adjusting it means removing the front cowling again.
  • When installing the master link on the chain, I accidentally pushed the pins through the back plate a bit - which doesn't seem good, so I ordered another one (2 actually)
  • The closer I look the more rusty bits and old rubber I see lol
Anyhow, apologies for the long post, but Im super stoked. I started riding about 4 years ago (in my early 50's) and never did much mechanical work before then. I find it very satisfying (most of the time haha), wishing I had started it (and riding) much sooner.

Cheers,
Steve

This all started because I wanted to replace the chain ;)
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Crankset Bicycle tire

· Registered
380 Posts
How much do you weigh?

· Registered
1993 klr 650
29 Posts
Well, after tinkering on it for the last three weekends I finally got the bike back together today and started! (too tired to ride it yet though).

The Good:
The Bad:
  • I have one left over big head screw, like the kind used to attach the side panels. It may be an extra I had, but Im kicking myself because Im not sure - I looked all over the bike and don't see an open hole. I need to keep better track during disassembly going forward.
  • The bike is a bit taller now due to the 'new' shock (not really bad, but not good lol). It definitely feels stiffer - yet to ride it though.
  • The shifter is too high, need to take it off and adjust it a bit
  • The headlight is also too high - seemed fine in the garage, but when I went out in the driveway it didn't. Adjusting it means removing the front cowling again.
  • When installing the master link on the chain, I accidentally pushed the pins through the back plate a bit - which doesn't seem good, so I ordered another one (2 actually)
  • The closer I look the more rusty bits and old rubber I see lol
Anyhow, apologies for the long post, but Im super stoked. I started riding about 4 years ago (in my early 50's) and never did much mechanical work before then. I find it very satisfying (most of the time haha), wishing I had started it (and riding) much sooner.

Cheers,
Steve

This all started because I wanted to replace the chain ;)
View attachment 37930
Looks good!

did You overhaul or they did the overhaul?
Shipping etc.
TIA

241 - 260 of 306 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.