Not open for further replies.
281 - 300 of 306 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts

· Registered
499 Posts
I dig the look. Really nice.
Is that old Transalp on the BG?
Yes, good eye. She's my baby. Have owned her since 1994. Had 16k when I bought it in terrible fettle. I have over 150k on the the TransAlp now! Uses a bit of oil, but never an engine overhaul! I put over 2k on it this year!

· Registered
380 Posts
Yes, good eye. She's my baby. Have owned her since 1994. Had 16k when I bought it in terrible fettle. I have over 150k on the the TransAlp now! Uses a bit of oil, but never an engine overhaul! I put over 2k on it this year!
Nice! There's a YouTube video of an Aussie who bought beater Transalp, fixed it and rode it to arctic circle. That bike is a beast.

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange KLR650
64 Posts
At 3600 miles, I did the 2nd oil change and adjusted the doo. Used a WIX filter and treated it to Mobil1. I figure that there's got to be enough tension/adjustment in that doo spring to last until the warranty is up.

· Registered
2000 KLR 650
2 Posts
I suggested to either lube the kickstand cable or remove it!
New to the forum, Hello! I just made new kickstand cable out of bicycle brake cable to replace the original that was stuck inside. While doing I came to think that this switch would be easily replaceable with a magnetic switch that would be far more trouble free. A small permanent magnet and a reed relay is all that is needed. Cost few $. I wonder if some of you have done this mod? Another place for easy improvement is the odd rear brake light switch with a long spring connection to the brake pedal. Instead, a pressure switch that replaces the master cylinder banjo bolt will do the job. Reliable and low cost.

Cheers!

· Registered
380 Posts
New to the forum, Hello! I just made new kickstand cable out of bicycle brake cable to replace the original that was stuck inside. While doing I came to think that this switch would be easily replaceable with a magnetic switch that would be far more trouble free. A small permanent magnet and a reed relay is all that is needed. Cost few $. I wonder if some of you have done this mod? Another place for easy improvement is the odd rear brake light switch with a long spring connection to the brake pedal. Instead, a pressure switch that replaces the master cylinder banjo bolt will do the job. Reliable and low cost.

Cheers!
share some pics!!

· Registered
1993 klr 650
29 Posts
Installed the new chain and rode it to stretch it then readjusted. Then I installed new IMS +1” shifter, for the oem flimsy one I’ve welded too many times over the years.
Scrubbed the new 705’s a little, these wheels are shot, getting some stock ones to replace these Friday.
I replaced the throttle tube assembly with another one but still sticking, I there a slight bend on the right bar end.
Well time to order a pro taper bar I guess, this stock one has definitely been beat on over the years.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Bicycle tire

· Registered
1993 klr 650
29 Posts
What could possibly be 'shot' with your wheels? I can't see any rim dents on the RH sides.
look straight back at the rear tire in the same plane as the swing arm you will see the slight bend from a major bend it was.

idk what happened while it was in my brothers possession and then set in the barn 12 years. Just one thing for certain was the huge amounts of owl poop ruined the tank, but-no mice touched my lot.
The tires were stuck on the rims.
I spent over an hour on my manual tire machine trying to get the old tire broke loose.
After breaking loose the old rear tire, I noticed a huge bend in the right side of the rim, I did message it back the best I could.
Moving on to point, the rim strip was missing the tube stem was corroded onto the rim as well as the nipples were all oxidized.
I did take a medium wire wheel to it and cleaned it up.
I don’t like it but the Kawasaki shop did manage to mount it back up with a new tube and balanced them for me.
I should’ve taken pictures.
But I didn’t I was gassed and angry. After managing to get the rim cleaned off of old rubber and oxidation and amassage on the bend. I installed the new rim strip, 705 and tube in I managed to pinch it.
So now to the front.
Rim spokes and nipples are good, the hub is jacked up.
At some point during the past out of my possession the Speedo gear failed galling the hub and running the assembly.
I am going trail tech at any rate eventually, but that explains the non functional speedo.
So, someone I know has his old spare stock gen 1 wheels for sale and I snagged them up.
He listed them in October and no one wanted them for 100
Well until I saw the listing and realized who it was and told him I’d take ‘em.

· Registered
1993 klr 650
29 Posts
I did a thing...

Thanks to @CaptainBob
Got these bad boys installed and found out the Gen II Warp9 wheels will work on Gen 1 when you swap out the discs from your Gen 1...
Will probably get a bracket and the SV650 caliper so I can install the larger disc back on the front asap.

Attachments

· Registered
499 Posts
I did a thing...

Thanks to @CaptainBob
Got these bad boys installed and found out the Gen II Warp9 wheels will work on Gen 1 when you swap out the discs from your Gen 1...
Will probably get a bracket and the SV650 caliper so I can install the larger disc back on the front asap.
Did you put lowering links on? I put Soupy's adjustable links on my gen 1 with gen 1 warp 9 wheels. Trying to dial it in.

· Registered
2016 Gen 2 Camo
385 Posts
Re-sprayed air filter w some oil recently! Dog works for milkbones and “good boy”s
Is that a Makita blower? Nice looking ride, better looking mechanic’s assistant😉🤣!

Reactions: BkKcaliKLR

· Registered
04 KLR w/ lots o mods
105 Posts
Is that a Makita blower? Nice looking ride, better looking mechanic’s assistant😉🤣!
Haha yes the blower is set up for vacuum mode which combined with the brush got the air filter box super clean! There was moondust aplenty haha.... yes dog is there for moral support as I lack confidence working on my bike even with simple stuff.. my hands are like a bearclaw haha and barely could unscrew nut inside box to remove filter

· Registered
2016 Gen 2 Camo
385 Posts
Haha yes the blower is set up for vacuum mode which combined with the brush got the air filter box super clean! There was moondust aplenty haha.... yes dog is there for moral support as I lack confidence working on my bike even with simple stuff.. my hands are like a bearclaw haha and barely could unscrew nut inside box to remove filter
Rover to the rescue! Excellent!

· Registered
1993 klr 650
29 Posts
Did you put lowering links on? I put Soupy's adjustable links on my gen 1 with gen 1 warp 9 wheels. Trying to dial it in.
No I haven't touched anything else yet, been working a lot & raining a lot.
I want to ride it more only have 8 miles on it like this maybe'
I know I need to seriously redo/replace the rear shock..
I am spring only, as the fluid had to have leaked out,
sometime during the 12 yr storage in the barn.

That big fat tires make it look like giant Honda Grom :D
haha! Yeah it kinda does lol

· Premium Member
864 Posts
I know I need to seriously redo/replace the rear shock..
I am spring only, as the fluid had to have leaked out
It's highly recommended to get the shock rebuilt soon because what starts to happen is the chrome begins rubbing off from lack of oil(friction). Once that happens it won't seal even after a rebuild with new parts. The shock shaft is not available separately anywhere. I'd hate to see you have to replace the whole shock; just trying to save you some future financial heart burn. You may already know all this. Either way best wishes.

281 - 300 of 306 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.