Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were just riding along, and all of a sudden you and your running bike suddenly were dunked in two feet of water, and the engine sucked up the water, how would you proceed to purge the bike of water and get it running again?

It has never happened to me but I can't find any info on what to do. Thanks dudes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check to see if any water got into the crankcase, Pull the air filter and see if it's wet, Pull the plug, crank the engine a few times. drain the float bowl. Try to start it up.
Thats about what i would try.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Robert in Sadorus said:
Check to see if any water got into the crankcase, Pull the air filter and see if it's wet, Pull the plug, crank the engine a few times. drain the float bowl. Try to start it up.
Thats about what i would try.
+1 - That's what I did a number of years ago on my SX-1 and it worked.
But you should change the oil ASAP.
John

·
Registered
76 Posts
+2
The basics are to pull the plug and turn it over to clear the cylinder and fire it up. You may need to drain the float bowl too, depending on what happened.

Post ride care should include servicing your wheel bearings and your swing arm/suspension pivot points and a full oil change with filter.

TW

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Add seafoam to the crankcase, and fuel tank to disperse any water after the other things have been done.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As a veteran motorcycle submariner, I advise don't do it. But if you just have to............. don't try to start it right away. Wrestle it out of the drink ASAP. You will need to drain the exhaust out so lay the bike over pointed uphill and exhaust pointed downhill. As mentioned, remove the spark plug and crank it over with the throttle open. Crank it A LOT. If you try cranking it without removing the plug and there is water in it, you can hydraulic the engine and bend some expensive and important parts. If you picked it up right away, you probably won't have water in the fuel so that isn't a big worry. You will want to remove the air filter and wring it out. When you put the plug back in and try starting it, it may water foul so you may need to remove and dry the plug several times. After it starts, ride it as gently as possible to get it home or to the dealer and ASAP do a major service on it including oil change, air filter service, chassis lube, cable lube, chain lube and general check over for any stray trouts or crustaceons.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ham! said:
...general check over for any stray trouts or crustaceons.
:)

All the above is accurate info. Not only would I change to oil as soon as possible, but I'd change it a few times in the first hundred or so miles after the submersion.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
MeefZah said:
ham! said:
...general check over for any stray trouts or crustaceons.
:)

All the above is accurate info. Not only would I change to oil as soon as possible, but I'd change it a few times in the first hundred or so miles after the submersion.
Inexpensive oil and filter with SeaFoam (fuel and oil) (Daddyjoe) multiple times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts