Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you guys thought about this rear rack:

http://www.tpi4x4.com/KLR650/TourBox2.html

It says it is 1" wider on each side and can be like a crash bar. How solid is this in a crash on dirt? How solid in a crash with the large case on?

Also, being so wide how will this affect my riding? I am still a little timid out on the road and have only done a little lane splitting but with this on will I not want to?

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I have this rack. Bought it from the manufacturer on eBay. Not sure where TPI gets it from. Likely a China copy.

Anyway I wouldn't be without this rack. I've got a Givi E20 box mounted on it and it fits real nice, cheap too and better quality than JCW. It protects the signals somewhat in a fall over. Very solid. I believe it's attached with four bolts and two are directly to the frame. Doesn't really add more width. The front of the bike is still wider I think.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
The link you show from TPI is not for the rack but for the tour box. I don't see that exact rack on TPI's site.

I wouldn't get that box. The Givi E20N is a great box for a great price. May not be the prettiest but it's going on a KLR - function first.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Looks good considering I was expecting something very different from the subject line. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ive got that rack. It seems to be good quality. I cant say how it would hold up to a spill but it looks like it would protect the turn signals if you dropped the bike or hit a tree or something. I dont think it would hold up to a hard or fast crash though. Ive got a Stlun box mounted on the rack.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was wondering what you guys thought about this rear rack
You're talking about the rack, right? not the box on top.

I have that exact same rack on my 2001 KLR. I love it. It doesn't feel wide at all, I don't think it affects riding at all, and it IS rock solid. I highly recommend it. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the info! My work schedule changed last minute (as it always does this time of year) and I just got home and able to check back on here.

The way I read the TPI site I thought it came with the rack as a package but I guess not. I like the ebay one and it is now top of my must have list. With the Givi trunk on it and a wolfman tank bag I think I will fit everything I need for my trip to Baja! WOOT! :28:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cool. Good luck, and let us know if the rack meets your expectations.
I just had a top trunk similar to the Givi one (brake light and everything) and I took it out for a pelican 1520. I looks more rugged, is more rugged, and isn't as tall as the other case. The only thing I miss is the additional light, but I already have the blinkers as LED lights, and the tail light flashing when I brake, so I should be ok. Something to chew on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pelican cases are amazing! We use them to ship our gear around the world. I think I got stuck on the idea of the rack being a rear crashbar and for whatever reason I like the looks of it, yes the pelican looks cool too. Also, I was thinking I would like to put my helmut into the case for safer keeping. I can't convince myself the lock on the side of the bike is safe enough.

Decisions decisions... I wonder which is cheaper, money is getting tight now days too, if only I can find that treasure map my friend sold me leading to a grove of money trees. LOL

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you find that map, call me - I'll do the digging. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am looking to trade a set of Pelican 1550 cases in great shape for some side racks if anyone is interested. I need to mount my other set of Pelicans on my new KLR and with a still xmas budget dont want to let go of the cash to buy any just yet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks like the perfect width

1 - 14 of 14 Posts