Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot find what filter to use in the 2007 klr. I am ready for my first oil change. What filter(s) do I use? Cannot find it in the manual anywhere? HELP!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I cannot find what filter to use in the 2007 klr. I am ready for my first oil change. What filter(s) do I use? Cannot find it in the manual anywhere? HELP!
I wish you'd have said something last week.. I was in Rhinelander and could have brought up a couple for you..:(

I actually use the EMGO filter. I buy them a dozen at a time from Bike Bandit, and with my AMA discount they're less than $2 each.

Name:EMGO Oil Filter Element
(Kawasaki KL650 KLR 1987-2003)(actually all years)
Price:
$1.87 Your Price!
$3.25 MSRP Brand:
EMGOO.E.M.#16099-004

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my 'impartial' list of oil filter options for a KLR650.

OEM Part: 16099-004
Fram: CH6070
EMGO: 10-30000
K&N: KN-123
Lunefiner P7027
Wix: 24951
NAPA: 4951 (made by wix)
Amsoil: 24941 (made by wix)
HiFloFiltro: HF123
Vesrah: SF-4002

There's even some spin-ons that can be cut open, but ......

:)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Emgo! Emgo! Paper talked, I listened.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I'm not saying the Emgo filter is the best, but as long as you keep filters changed on a regular basis, I don't think there's a bad one..

I really like WIX filters, but they're a bit more difficult to find around here.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I'm partial to the Wix 24951, more pleats and better rubber than stock, and it comes with a new O ring. Napa also sells one that is a cross referenced Wix. Sorry, don't have the number but they will.

Ooop's, see that Erroneous Monk listed it.....Napa 4591.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Paper,same filters I use here.With three klrs in the family,and changing oil every 2500 or less,best deal goin

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
ok, so I'm way behind on this post but I just saw this site that I thought would be good to pass along when above one of the postings was for a Fram filter.
You decide.

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/fram.shtml
Yeah, i've never been a big fan of Fram filters. I read something awhile back that there were a lot of counterfeit's out there labeled as Fram.

One of the auto parts stores had a display set out of a cutaway version of a Fram and a Wix. The Wix was clearly superior. Supposedly the Napa brand is made by Wix.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That sounds pretty interesting. I'd be curious to see how that works. I'm getting a couple from NAPA today. I think theirs is made by wix. I just got the bike and am wanting to get new oil into it.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Found Fram CH6070 filters at Advance Auto from two different countries-of-origin (Korea and India), two different overall lengths--Korean product 0.16 cm longer than its Indian counterpart (boxes different sizes, also).

I bought one of each; put the longer one in my '07 KLR650 just as an experiment . . .

So far, so good; experiment won't be completed 'til both lengths are run through their service life and inspected.

I have images of calipered measurements, box printing, comparative views. Kinda dull, actually; don't show much more significant than my narrative above. May post 'em anyway, if I get awfully bored . . .

Don't think the difference in length critical to the KLR650 application, since each fits easily into the oil filter compartment. With reasonable oil change intervals, filters may not be entirely essential; Honda made jillions of small engines without disposable oil filters.

Still, I'd prefer a serviceable filter. When a filter chokes up, however, the bypass valve opens and . . . unfiltered oil is then circulated through the engine. Not the best thing in the world, but . . . no cataclysmic disaster, necessarily.

Adapting a "MYTHBUSTERS" persona (but I will NOT wear a ridiculous beret!), I must say: The legend, Fram manufactures and markets CH6070 oil filters in various lengths, is TRUE! :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts