Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just fitted a power socket to my 04, went direct to the battery
via a blade type fuse holder, i ran 20 amp wire all the way and the fuse holder is a 30 amp with a 30 amp fuse fitted, my question is should i run a lower amp fuse or is the 30 ok ?? Am planning to run a gps from it and dont wanna damage it or anything else for that matter.........

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you know you won't be using anything more powerful on the circuit, I would use a 3 amp fuse.

The formula for determining required amperage is watts/volts because watts = amps * volts. For example, the 3 amp fuse in the KLRs 12 volt system would be good for up to a 36 watt draw. The draw of your GPS is probably in the 3-5 watt range, so therefore, would be fine.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Depends on size of wiring. "20amp wire" - do you mean 20 gauge? If so, that's pretty small for that heavy a fuse.

·
Administrator
8,284 Posts
tas2's reply is spot on.

Like BIGIRON, I'm not sure what you mean by "20 amp wire". All of the wiring you can put on aKLR would be considered "short run", so the following chart is a pretty good guideline for what the current carrying capacity of a wire is.

Gauge @12V
22 5A
20 8A
18 10A
16 20A
14 40A

What limits a wire's current carrying capacity is heat - it has internal resistance that causes it to heat up. So, the longer a wire is the less current it can carry. Short runs are usually defined as "a few feet".

Plagiarized from
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/WireCapacityChart.htm
which is a very good reference for all sorts of electrical stuff.

Tom

·
Registered
704 Posts
We used to tell FNG's on the construction sites that we were getting too much electricity to our tools and send them to tie knots in the cords. One knot is a 5v reduction.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy's, must be a bit different here in Oz as the wire i bought say's "20 Amp Auto Wire " it certainly looks up to the job but i think i will put in a much lower amperage fuse than the 30 Amp supplied just to be on the safe side....

·
Administrator
8,284 Posts
OK, it was marked that way on a package, so it's a way of marketing the appropriate wire to the masses. It is likely 16 ga wire.

It will be well up to the task of running virtually anything that the KLR's alternator can keep up with.

Yer good ta go.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts