Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
This is a good view of how thick they are. This one experienced a 2" nail penetration and looked like this when I took it out of the tire along the side of the road. I really have no idea how it got this shredded. I did ride about half a mile on the flat so that probably had something to do with it.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
This is a good view of how thick they are. This one experienced a 2" nail penetration and looked like this when I took it out of the tire along the side of the road. I really have no idea how it got this shredded. I did ride about half a mile on the flat so that probably had something to do with it.

That's nasty! Guessing the tire must have spun on the rim a bit to slice it up like that.

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. I was riding up a steep, winding blacktop road with absolutely no shoulders and ditches on each side. Had to get to the top before I could find a place to get off the road. I recall being thankful breaking the bead wasn't much of a chore so I'll go with your theory that the tire slipped on the rim while flat.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
That is a classic case of synthetic rubber failing from a puncture planalp. A nail hole in synthetic rubber can run like a crack in a windshield. Natural rubber tubes don't have this tendency. Synthetic rubber tubes are difficult to patch as well. Look for natural rubber tubes if these issues are of concern to you. Motoz sells a natural rubber tube with 4mm thickness if you are interested.
General JustJeff

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Like all things dual sport, tubes are a compromise; too thick and they may generate heat, affect wheel balance and fail due to heat buildup on the highway, too thin and you are begging for pinch flats, etc. offroad.

I only use good quality tubes on my KLR's and have had good luck with Michelin, Metzler and Bridgestone in the past though the Ultra Heavy duty ones are too think for sustained highway speeds IMO.

I don't buy cheap tubes, Cheng Shin, Kendas, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
That is a classic case of synthetic rubber failing from a puncture planalp. A nail hole in synthetic rubber can run like a crack in a windshield. Natural rubber tubes don't have this tendency. Synthetic rubber tubes are difficult to patch as well. Look for natural rubber tubes if these issues are of concern to you. Motoz sells a natural rubber tube with 4mm thickness if you are interested.
General JustJeff
I'll be damned I didn't know that. Thanks for the info, justjeff. I got tired of messing around with the big, thick tubes and went back to regular ones. I don't know if the ones I'm using now are synthetic or natural rubber. I can't even remember what brand they are.

The next time around I may well make it a point to look for the natural rubber.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
You're welcome! FYI synthetic rubber tubes are made from BUTYL rubber. It supposedly looses less pressure over time but I raise and lower my pressures so often I have no idea if that is true. Happy hunting!
JJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts