·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Reactions: Vernmented

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
A plug you've fitted in your starter housing, which seals the void left by removing your starter innards, and that you've just lightened your bike by a couple few pounds…?

·
Premium Member
5,560 Posts
Only thing that comes to mind is a brake piston installed backwards, but have a pretty good idea this is not the correct answer.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
The so-late-it's-early-bird gets the worm, as they say…

Looks like you did a nice job on sealing it up. Any interesting tidbits/pains in the ass you encountered along the way?

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
Well I recon that means that with the sturdier KZ1000 kick pedal & lots of practice, that you mastered the art of finding the perfect crank angle to ignite your Black Betty in one mighty kick, more often than not. :)

You are no longer gonna' be able to take her for a quick test spin around the block with only your flip-flops & shorts! Cause you would look pretty funny in Dirt Boots & Shorts. lmao.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Well I recon that means that with the sturdier KZ1000 kick pedal & lots of practice, that you mastered the art of finding the perfect crank angle to ignite your Black Betty in one mighty kick, more often than not. :)

You are no longer gonna' be able to take her for a quick test spin around the block with only your flip-flops & shorts! Cause you would look pretty funny in Dirt Boots & Shorts. lmao.
Technically he would only need one boot :wink2:

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The so-late-it's-early-bird gets the worm, as they say…

Looks like you did a nice job on sealing it up. Any interesting tidbits/pains in the ass you encountered along the way?
I had to turn .020" off of the diameter of the freeze plug even though it was labeled as the exact size I should have needed. Freeze plugs are irrational.

Moving the exhaust around is always a bit of a pain if you only have two hands. Installing a new exhaust gasket can be particularly trying.

Other than that, piece of cake.

...You are no longer gonna' be able to take her for a quick test spin around the block with only your flip-flops & shorts! Cause you would look pretty funny in Dirt Boots & Shorts. lmao.
Yeah, those days are pretty much over. Today I was walking around in shorts with one flip-flop on and one boot on and Good Neighbor Ray asked what I did to my foot. He thought it was a walking cast.

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
Do you not use a smear of grease or anti-sieze or RTV on the flat side of the exhaust header gasket to keep it in the port while reassembing?

It only smokes for a little bit.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I use RTV, but as soon as it gets bumped the whole operation goes back to zero while the gasket gets repositioned.

It's so much easier if you separate the header pipe from the mid-pipe, but where's the fun in that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Aren’t freezeplugs an ‘interference fit’? .020” seems a bit much, but I’d expect them to be too big to push in manually. . .

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a Dorman 565-100 and it measured 30.6mm in diameter. I only wanted a couple of thousandths of interference so I turned .020" off.

Adding insult to injury, Dorman used to make a brass 1 3/16" plug but they discontinued it. I would have liked to measure one of those.

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
Metric vs SAE I'm surprised that it was that close!

I'm curious how you chucked it up to trim it down, Tom?

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Every plug I have installed could be started by hand and then easily driven into the block. I don't know how a .024" interference fit works; seems you'd shear a lot of material off.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Metric vs SAE I'm surprised that it was that close!

I'm curious how you chucked it up to trim it down, Tom?
That plug is sold as a 30mm plug. I was severely depressed when I got home and measured it at 30.6mm.

Three-jaw chuck clamping fairly light on the ID, spin fast, cut light. The cup is about 10mm deep, works pretty well with a wee chuck. Comes out almost round...

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
I thought that it looked like a simple 'domed' welch plug, instead of a cupped plug. Yeah that was pretty simple to turn down.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is my first experience with freeze plugs. I watched a couple videos on them but I was curious on how you installed it. It looks like you drove it into place going from left to right with the cover open or did you push it into place through the starter hole towards the inside of the case since you ran it on the lathe so there is less taper. I'm guessing the blue is RTV. Did you have to set it in place with a hammer and socket?

I also found this as a less sleek option but I really like your clean and proper install.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I turned it to a slight interference fit and then pushed it, the domed side facing into the case, from the outside to the inside. The RTV was simply suspenders to go with the belt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts