Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best foam air filter for the KLR650 that is around $20?

I have seen HI-FLO, MOOSE, UNI, NO-TOIL, and TWIN-AIR filters on eBay for around $20. I want one more for filtering ability than horsepower. I would also like one that can be stored oiled and flat in a plastic bag in my tool box, but spring back to normal thickness when removed.

I did a search for air filters, but didn't find anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a big fan of DT-1 filters (they make the Moose filters). Two or three layers of high quality foam and the mounting surface is neoprene so no grease is needed for an excellent seal. They're mfg'd in central CA and can be bought pre-oiled.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
What is the best foam air filter for the KLR650 that is around $20?

I have seen HI-FLO, MOOSE, UNI, NO-TOIL, and TWIN-AIR filters on eBay for around $20. I want one more for filtering ability than horsepower. I would also like one that can be stored oiled and flat in a plastic bag in my tool box, but spring back to normal thickness when removed.

I did a search for air filters, but didn't find anything.
BigUgly,
OILED Foam Air Filter!
There isn't much difference!
The majority of difference is 'Dependant' on the user.
Failure to 'Squeeze-out' the Excess oil prior to installation will render the 'Most Highly Rated' foam air filter into an 'also tested'!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I have had a few Uni I got at a bargain. OEM filter is good, too.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Stock and UNI are the most common on this site.

Must be for a reason,
(OEM on mine)

CheapMark

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BigUgly,
Failure to 'Squeeze-out' the Excess oil prior to installation will render the 'Most Highly Rated' foam air filter into an 'also tested'!
Why does excessive oil cause problems. I figured the engine would just suck it into the engine, or the dirt would soak up the excess oil. I let my filter drain for a few days on a paper towel. The bottom of my air box is usually coated with oil. It isn't from installation, so some must "Drain" out of the filter.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Why does excessive oil cause problems. I figured the engine would just suck it into the engine, or the dirt would soak up the excess oil. I let my filter drain for a few days on a paper towel. The bottom of my air box is usually coated with oil. It isn't from installation, so some must "Drain" out of the filter.
BigUgly,
There is nothing 'harmful' in having too much stickey/gooy air filter oil (Bel-Ray, PJ-1, Maxima, etc) on an air filter. It just doesn't flow as much air as it could. And it will need re-servicing sooner.
I like to use the sticky/gooy oils on the coarser/dual density foam filters, like Uni-Filter.

I personally prefer to use a straight SAE 40 or 50 grade on the OEM foam air filter or Twin-Air filter in my bike. And Yes it does migrate all over inside the air box. But it is easy clean-up, because it's not gooy!

Conversely there can be extremely expensive damage created very quickly by too little oil (think like, just rubbed on the outside) or too thin of oil used a Foam air filter (like, K&N cotton gauze fabric oil) .

Reactions: twinjet

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Stock and UNI are the most common on this site.

Must be for a reason,
(OEM on mine)

CheapMark
Yep. I have stock, Uni and TwinAir on mine.....there is a thread on the proper TwinAir part number if you do a search as there were some incorrect ones being shipped by an ebay seller IIRC.

I buy Uni's from Eagle Mfg & Eng because I like buying stuff from Mike and there is usually something else I need/want anyway.

Most of the oiled foam filters work similarly and I don't think selection is really a big deal; you'll get way more of a flow increase from a snorkle-ectomy and/or L mod (or equivalent) than you will by filter brand.

over oiled filters don't flow enough air so get proper coverage but don't leave them over-oiled. I use Bel Ray foam filter oil, make sure the filter is completely saturated then squeeze out the excess several times. I also use white grease on the lip to help with the seal (old racer's trick).

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts