Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife has ridden with me on the klr. She does not like it, "its too much of a dirt bike" she says. So now I need a touring bike for her and I. something for two up. after the kids are all grown, for long distance. For now just short 100-200 mile day trips.

what is the perfect addition to the KLR?

·
Registered
14 Posts
im not qualified to voice an opinion what a nice 2up tourer to have would be..since i never rode a tourer of any kind.but those big hondas sure seem nice.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I sold the wife's KLR and bought a wee-Strom for two up riding.

The 650 has PLENTY power for two up,
The 650 costs a couple thousand less,
The 650 gets better gas milage.

Everything I read about the 650 said it was a great 2 up bike, and I have to agree.

We have been on a few rides and the wife says the rear seat is fine for her. I took my son back to Agusta (355 miles) on the wee and he complained his back hurt, (second time he has ever been on a bike), but I think he would complain if they hung him with a new rope. :wink:

·
Registered
284 Posts
On the extreme "other" end of the spectrum and looking quite unlike the KLR but snuggled up next to it nicely would be a Triumph Triple. I could "cruise" with that machine. :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've owned a couple of Concours in the past and I think they are a perfect match to the KLR. Lotsa bang for the buck. Underated. Efficient. Easy to tinker with and a blast to ride. Yeah!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I had the KLR first and looked for a second "road" bike. I wanted faster, more power, and yet didn't want to duplicate any of the KLR features. I ended up with a V-MAX. It's fast off the line without being a crotch rocket and I don't feel like I'm humping the tank when I ride. Plus it is big and heavy so it isn't buffeted around on the freeways or by the wind nearly as much as the KLR. I would still like a V-Strom just for the size but want to try riding one before I make the plunge.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The KLR IS my touring bike. I ride dirt bikes, sport bikes, and dualsports. My beard may be grey and the arthritis may be reminding me of better days but I'm not so old as to need the Hondpottamus or the Geezerglide.

I'm not interested in riding to a place to take pictures of stuff, I want to ride on stuff.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey ya Tazman. My wife loves the hind seat on our HD TourGlide. Bikes come & go in our garage but she loves that bike so it stays. My wife has a Buell to call her own but when it is two up, she likes the Harley.

So me , myself, and I, says take the woman who adores you out cycle shopping. Let her pick and chose. My Tour Glide came home while I was shopping for a Buell hooligan bike for myself and she saw the Glide. The Glide came home. We have had some very memorable rides on the Glide and while it isn't my optimimal idea of a cycle it works for us, key word being US. Yeah. when the boss lady is in cahoots, it works out well.

Get her involved in the decision. It is hard to go wrong that way.

Enjoy your choice together!

ham!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I am considering the V-Strom 650 for the road+. If I do I can make the KLR650 more dirt worthy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For eating up lots of miles in complete comfort, my Vulcan 1500 Classic has been great. Took some trial and error but now it's set up as a great long distance bike. The Mustang seat with drivers backrest is a big plus for touring. I added a magnetic tankbag which is very convienant.

·
Registered
251 Posts
For me it would be an HD Road Glide. :D The Vulcun 1500 and Yamaha 1600 Silverado would be great also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My current non-KLR is an '05 Honda ST1300. Very nice machine. Sometimes I think I should have gotten a Goldwing so the Mrs. would be a bit more comfortable but we weren't married when I bought the ST so she didn't get a vote. :ev039

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you need more than one stable mate. I am down to 5 bikes, it is the fewest I have had in many years.

KLR We don't need no stinkin blacktop

ST1300 for sport-TOURING

ZX11 for SPORT-touring

GS1000S Wes Cooley Replica for cruising on nice days

STAGE II H2 750 for terrorizing unsuspecting Harleys and giving the Sierra Club something to complain about

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tazman said:
The wife has ridden with me on the klr. She does not like it, "its too much of a dirt bike" she says. So now I need a touring bike for her and I. something for two up. after the kids are all grown, for long distance. For now just short 100-200 mile day trips.

what is the perfect addition to the KLR?
Sounds like; simply trading in the wife for a one that likes KLR's is the best plan of action.... :twisted:

My wife doesn't like doubling up on the KLR either. So I don't take her on it. No problem. I don't tell her what hobby's she should enjoy. And she doesn't tell me which bike to ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts