Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just curious as to what kind of gloves everyone uses? I have a pair of Alpinestars that are water resistant and padded on the knuckles and fingers, but I find them clunky to wear and pretty much only use them if it's raining or cold out.

What I do seem to end up wearing more often than not are a set of old deerskin cruiser gauntlets (I'm on the slab mostly). I don't think they would offer much protection in a spill, but they are comfortable. I found out a couple of months ago what a spill without gear does (Lol, still healing!) so I'm just wondering what everyone else uses? Something light and comfortable that offers lots of dexterity and a decent amount of protection?

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
I had a pair of Tourmaster gloves that I loved dearly. I bought them right around the time the company started and they lasted 20 years, believe or not. When they wore out I replaced them with a pair of Scorpion gloves that lasted until this summer, about four years. Not very good quality.

Now I'm wearing either Icon Pursuit or Held Air. Both are summer weight gloves and both are nice. The Held are as close as I've ever come to not knowing I had gloves on, as they have quite a bit of mesh fabric on them. They are definitely in the moderate protection category. The Icon are full leather, perforated for warm weather.

For really cold stuff I have a pair of Bilt waterproof gloves. They are junk, but they are also quite warm and do the job, though they are excessively bulky. I've no delusions that they are going to last if I have to wear them continuously; they ride along in case the weather turns wet.

I'm going to be needing some 'California winter' gloves soon, and will probably go with Held.

T

·
Registered
9 Posts
depending on the application.

w my ZRX I use Dianese Joust Ti gloves or Oakley Tactical gloves

KLR, I have Alpinestars winter gloves, FOX dirt gloves

stay away from anything private label at Cycle Gear...Bilt, etc...garbage.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I used to go through gloves like crazy...don't know why, but they just wouldn't last. For a while now I've been wearing Held Steve's I got on close-out (on Paper's recommendation). They are amazing. Pricey, but I haven't had to buy new gloves in a LONG time. And I like the kangaroo leather. And I really like the fact that they think of little things, like metal skid things on the palms (leather grabs when it hits the road). I make my money off my hands, so yeah...they are my most expensive piece of gear, but well worth it.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmmm, I'll have to check those out! I'm definitely preferential to leather for gloves... Nylon seems to make my hands sweat like crazy. Our hottest temps here are about 80, and that's even kind of rare. Nothing like what you fellows in the South get!

Wow! They are spendy! Reviews are fantastic though, definitely worth consideration!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hmmm, I'll have to check those out! I'm definitely preferential to leather for gloves... Nylon seems to make my hands sweat like crazy. Our hottest temps here are about 80, and that's even kind of rare. Nothing like what you fellows in the South get!

Wow! They are spendy! Reviews are fantastic though, definitely worth consideration!
Check out Aerostich gloves. Got my Elkskin guanlets about 3 years ago after going through several pairs of textile gloves. They're comfy in the summer (for me) when it's hot.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check out Aerostich gloves. Got my Elkskin guanlets about 3 years ago after going through several pairs of textile gloves. They're comfy in the summer (for me) when it's hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQuXErxLRt4
I really like these, very similar to the gauntlets I have now but with added protection... I'm thinking these are the ones I'm going to scoop :)

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gloves/elkskin-and-deerskin-gloves/aerostich-elkskin-gauntlet-gloves.html

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I wear a few different gloves depending on temp.

I'll have to ++ on the Held Steve. Love those gloves. Sure they are pricey but then I figure they will last a long time and I'll be money ahead. I made the mistake of trying on a pair at a motorcycle show and then just had to have them.

I also have a pair of EXL gloves I bought from MotoDirect.com when I was trying to get away with cheap gear. These gloves were definitely cheap in price but they have been awesome in performance. Nice leather and still look like new 5 years later. Some of the other gear I bought there was definitely cheaply made.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys, the Helds seem to be quite popular! I really like the Aerostitch gauntlets as well... Have to keep my eye's open for sales :). Looks like the Helds are sold out on most websites though... They do sell them on ebay, but I think those are the first gen gloves. Lol, plus I'm always a little nervous about getting knock offs on ebay :stickpoke:

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Guess I'm gonna have to pony up and try a pair of the Held Steves. A couple of questions for those that already have them. First, How is the sizing? True, smaller than most, larger than most? Normally a large here and according to RevZillas sizing chart I'm an 8.5. Nice to see that you could also get shorter or longer finger lengths. I suppose I have normal length fingers as that has never been a problem for me. Second, which are the first or second generation gloves? I see one with "rivets" in the palm and another with a "mesh" in the palm for protection.

Strangely enough my "go to" gloves are a pair made by Bell I bought from Wal-Mart for like 10 bucks several years ago. Starting to fall apart now and naturally they don't carry them any longer. I have several pair of gloves in my cabinet in the shop and I'm ashamed to say it looks like my wifes shoe tree in her closet....very few of which I actually wear. Does that make me a glove whore?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have yet to be able to wear anything more than MX gloves. I like the direct feel. I wear heavier ones when its cold out and hate them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yep. Got some fox MX gloves and just some cycle gear thin leather ones for winter

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, after doing lots of reading online as far as the Held's and the Stitch gauntlets go, I've pulled the trigger on a pair of the Held Steve's. Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks for them to show up! Fingers crossed that I get to try them out once or twice before old man winter settles in to stay... I really hate snow!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Steves are awesome. The kangaroo leather is tougher, so it is super thin.

Sizing...go by their guidelines. When I got mine, I thought the fingers were too long, but when you wrap your hand round the throttle and get em worked in, they are awesome.

First gen is the rivets, second gen is stingray leather I believe. If it were me, I'd look for an old pair of the first gen. I got them cheaper because I got the red with yellow palms, too. Oh, and you can...and are encouraged...to wash them. It's a lot of money for gloves (more than my helmet!), but they are indestructible and so well made. And my hands are important.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Well, after doing lots of reading online as far as the Held's and the Stitch gauntlets go, I've pulled the trigger on a pair of the Held Steve's. Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks for them to show up! Fingers crossed that I get to try them out once or twice before old man winter settles in to stay... I really hate snow!
Hi 650Stew!
If You wouldn't mind, where did you purchase them? I'm in LacLaBiche and might get them from the same place. :desismiley1:
Regards....justjeff

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi 650Stew!
If You wouldn't mind, where did you purchase them? I'm in LacLaBiche and might get them from the same place. :desismiley1:
Regards....justjeff
Hi Jeff!

I had to do a little hunting for them... I have no idea if any of the shops in Edmonton carry them so I bought them online. Not cheap though!

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/steve_classic_gloves.html

I hope they're as good as everyone says... My old deerskin cruiser gauntlets are getting really long in the tooth! ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You will be very happy. Trust me. I'm poor as all hell and I'm still glad I got em.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You will be very happy. Trust me. I'm poor as all hell and I'm still glad I got em.
Yup, I'm sure I'll love em :). The reviews on the web for them are stellar, and I don't mind spending money on quality gear because it lasts. Now, If I can just get em before it snows! Lol :D

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Newenough ships quick. You're good to go. :)

Yup, I'm sure I'll love em :). The reviews on the web for them are stellar, and I don't mind spending money on quality gear because it lasts. Now, If I can just get em before it snows! Lol :D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts