Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past 5 or 6 weeks of ownership of my new KLR, one remark keeps coming out above all others, at least in this part of the world, it is "I didn't know you could ride a dirt bike on the road!" LOL, after I try to explain that it is a dualsport, they get this confused look upon their faces as if the greatest mystery in the universe has been unleashed upon them. I would have thought that since the bike is essentially over 20 years old platform wise, more people would have been familiar with it, but here at least, they all seem to be curious and drop jawed about the KLR's. What do you hear most from strangers and people you know about the bike?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That's funny. I get asked more questions when I'm out on single track about "how can you get that 650 around out here?". Some others are, "are you lost?", "what cc is that?" and my favorite, "who make that?".:18: It was funnier when I had the stock tank on it.:mad0235:

·
Registered
815 Posts
I don't get many confused responses, people seem to know generally what it is. They mainly ask if I go offroad with it much. I guess the mud left over from my last trail run isn't enough of a tell. They do typically assume it's your basic dirtbike and don't realize it's a 380lb beast though. I get a lot of "DO A WHEELIE" from the squids and teens. Overall, nobody seems all that clueless about it even though it's 1 of only 3 that I know of in town.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am most often asked the "what kind of bike is that? " question,followed by "who makes it?".

One guy at a gas station wanted to know if it was one of those "crotch rocket bikes".:confused:

A Harley riding co-worker looked it over,and asked me three questions.
1. Did you get that at Wal-mart?
2.Did you keep the box it came in?
3.When you gonna buy a REAL motorcycle?:mad0235:

·
Banned
46 Posts
I wouldnt listen to any "Harley person."
I owned a brand new 2002 H-D Dyna Wide Glide...
It was such a piece of crap that I traded it after owning it for only 6 months.
It started leaking all over my garage floor after 800 miles.
HARLEYS SUCK

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3.When you gonna buy a REAL motorcycle?

Most Hardly guys are gonna say that cause they are jealous they don' t have the nads to not follow the mainstream wannabe's and be his own person. ;)

·
Banned
46 Posts
3.When you gonna buy a REAL motorcycle?

Most Hardly guys are gonna say that cause they are jealous they don' t have the nads to not follow the mainstream wannabe's and be his own person. ;)

X2, their bikes all look alike and they all wear the same Halloween costume when they ride.
They are nothing but sheep.

·
Registered
30 Posts
:64a: So far, most remarks hover around... "you ride a dirt bike?", "you sold your pride and joy for that thing?", and the most common one of all "what is it?" :mad0235: Damn I love riding a bike that most people would never even consider... too bad for them because they don't know what they're missing (while I keep missing the gas pumps en route to some dirt roads). :35a:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had a little boy ask me in the parking lot at the grocery store"Is that a dirt bike or a street bike?" His mother was trying to shuffle him away and he just ignored her--LOL-- I told him " It's both"...and it is!!!!!!!!It's whatever you want it to be -thats what makes it so multifunctional...that describes mine more than dual sport--it goes to the grocery store,ball practice,camping,long trips,errand running,over the hill of our farm to check on things,across the creek and I have even put a milk crate on the back to hold wire and tools while building horse fence.:)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Mostly, it is kids that come up to me and say "Thats a big dirt bike mister"
As for stealthrider, your not being very "stealthy", are you. I'll bet people at home don't listen to you either :18:

I wouldnt listen to any "Harley person."
I owned a brand new 2002 H-D Dyna Wide Glide...
It was such a piece of crap that I traded it after owning it for only 6 months.
It started leaking all over my garage floor after 800 miles.
HARLEYS SUCK

·
Registered
1 Posts
The first day I rode my '08 to work-this guy in his early 20's comes up to me(and he rides motorcycles and 4 wheelers so I expected he knew more than the average monkey) and says...."has that thing got a powerband in it?" I said "no, it's pretty even and torquey cause it's a big 4 stroke." He looks really confused and says (I'm not making this up)........"Well you should get one for it. My buddy had one put in his dirt bike and it's fast as hell." I was laughing to myself all day trying to picture what a powerband would look like- in blue to match my bike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Several times now in the couple weeks I have owned my thrashed A17:

"Beautiful bike!"

...which I really don't understand. I don't think it's beautiful at all. I think it's homely as hell. I love riding it, but honestly, I think KLRs are ugly. The 2008s are even uglier than the older ones.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Comments

What kind of remarks do you normally get about your KLR?
Possitive ones. So far not a bad word has been said.
Then again I doubt very much that a person is going to approach a total stranger and start insulting them on their bike.

It hasn't happened to me anyway.

-T

·
Registered
24 Posts
A KLR is a rare sight in my area. I've seen two around besides my own, so its kind of a novelty. My first long ride was with 2 Harley coworkers of mine, and they couldn't get enough of talking about it... positive talk.

I usually get:

"Nice bike, Man!"
"A 650 dirt bike? Holy jeez!"
"I bet that doesn't burn much gas."
"Thing must vibrate like hell."
"I'm looking for something different. How d'ya like this thing?"

·
Registered
7 Posts
The first day I rode my '08 to work-this guy in his early 20's comes up to me(and he rides motorcycles and 4 wheelers so I expected he knew more than the average monkey) and says...."has that thing got a powerband in it?" I said "no, it's pretty even and torquey cause it's a big 4 stroke." He looks really confused and says (I'm not making this up)........"Well you should get one for it. My buddy had one put in his dirt bike and it's fast as hell." I was laughing to myself all day trying to picture what a powerband would look like- in blue to match my bike.
LOL, LOL.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts