Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike just turned past 6500 miles and I was wondering what type of oil people were using. I have been sticking with a patroleum base so far, has anyone switched to a synthetic and if so which brand and type and how is it working for you? Breck

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Breck,
I hope you don't mind, but I added a poll to your question.. Easier to keep track and easier to see the winner..

I run Shell Rotella (or equivelent) 15w-40 dino oil in all my bikes. Around $10 a gallon and it's a proven perfomer in motorcycle applications.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Thanks Paper, Do you but the Rotella from an auto parts store?
I buy Rotella at Walmart.

I should add to this...

Rotella is "designed" as a diesel engine oil. I've been running it for 10 years on a recommendation from a forum I've long since forgotten.. :)

Anyway, it's a very available oil at any time of the day.. Most places that carry oil will have it, and I don't think I've been to a truck stop that doesn't have it on hand, too. That's one of my favorite things about Rotella, Delo 400, or even Walmart's 15w-40 diesel oil (green label)... My 2002 KLR sips a bit of oil, and I often take it on longer trips.. 1400 miles over 4th of July weekend this year had me 400 miles from home and in need of a top off on a Sunday. Wandered into Walmart in Bayfield, WI, grabbed a quart of Rotella and a Gatorade.. Tossed 1/3 of a quart in the KLR, slugged down the drink, and off I went.

Try to find a motorcycle specific oil, or any other fancy oil (Amsoil, for example) in the middle of no where on a Sunday.. And what day do I ride the most?? Sunday..

Truthfully, just changing oil is WAY more important than what oil you're running. I'd guess the KLR would run fine on Olive Oil, as long as you change it on a regular basis..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Being of the thrifty mind myself and liking to be in the middle of no where Rotella sounds like a solid front runner so far. I will check my local wally world today!! At ten bux a gallon ya cant ask for much more. And I agree with you on the change it often and it wont really matter what cha put in her!!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
At ten bux a gallon ya cant ask for much more. And I agree with you on the change it often and it wont really matter what cha put in her!!
My local WallyWorld has it at $11 a gallon, but Chevron Delo 400 is only $8.50, and Walmart's own brand is $9.50.. (which I've been told is Shell Rotella).

For some reason, I've seen Rotella at anywhere from $10 to $13.50, depending on where in the country I'm at and the current price of oil. :)

As a side note, Goldwings are picky about oil when it comes to shifting. My 1500 liked Rotella and didn't like Delo 400, and my current 1800 is the same. My KLR doesn't care, though..:)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Sorry if this sounds like I own Shell Stock... I don't have anything to do with the product or the company..
I just finished mowing lawn and I'm cooling down in front of the computer..

Anyway, here's some interesting reading..

http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=310&page=24

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Rotella_T

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165074http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Rotella_T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I've been using Rotella for a while now. WISH I could get it that cheap, though. :50:

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I use a diesel spec'd 15-40 dino engine oil. I lean towards Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40. Another oil that can be picked up at most Wal Mart's for under 10 bucks a gallon.

Otherwise, any of the diesel spec'd oils work for me. I am more concerned with frequency of the oil change than marketing hype of the oil itself.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My bike just turned past 6500 miles and I was wondering what type of oil people were using. I have been sticking with a patroleum base so far, has anyone switched to a synthetic and if so which brand and type and how is it working for you? Breck
I use Valvoline 10w 40 atv wet clutch,4 stroke oil,,,been using it for over 23,000 from new. I change it when its dirty,,,even if its only 500 miles. I get about 600 to 1000 miles out of it before its dirty. Mines an 06,,EM doo kit,,,tweety tube removed,,,some other minor mods,,but mostly stock,,,and its still running great! Gotta love the "TWO WHEELED TRACTOR" that the KLR is ! And it doesn't burn or "lose" oil at all.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
It's funny, the regional differences between the States and Canada... Wallys world here doesn't carry Rotella and it's hard to find here. There is a little parts place here in town that carries it but it's over $20 a gallon for the regular dino grade :(. I personally use Canadian Tire 4 stroke motorcycle oil (10W40) that I buy for about $4 a litre... Works out to $16 a gallon, cheap here for 10W40.

Cheers,
Stew

Edit: I stand corrected... I was at Wally's today and saw some Rotella there. I think they only had it in 10 litre and 20 litre pails. Pricing here still works it out to $5.00 a litre. I guess I stick with my CT 10W40 four stroke motorcycle oil at $4.09 a litre... Lol, picked up 3 more litres while I was there :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just picked up a gallon at my local. It was 12 bux. Is the wally world stuff called tech something, if so it was 8.50 a gallon. Breck

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
A funny thing to note on the oils. Just stating a fact here and not trying to stir anything :D. My bike when purchased had 2400 km's on it and the PO was running Amsoil 10W40 Motorcycle synthetic. Big $$$! I used about a litre of the Amsoil over the course or 1961 km's or about 1125 miles. When I changed the oil to regular 10W40 dino after that I rode about 3371 km's or 2,106 miles on about 250 ml of oil. I have also installed Gripsters about 2000 km's ago so that probably dropped my RPM by a wee bit since they are a little taller than the stock Dunlops. Weird observation eh? Not too sure if it was not totally broken in or the taller tires made the difference but it definitely uses less oil now... I like that :D

Cheers!
Stew

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Just picked up a gallon at my local. It was 12 bux. Is the wally world stuff called tech something, if so it was 8.50 a gallon. Breck
Yep.. SuperTech is Walmart's brand. I've used it and can't tell any difference between it and the more expensive stuff.. As I mentioned, I've been told that the Walmart stuff is Rotella. Can't verify that, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The previous owner of mine solidly stated it burned about 250ml every 3 or 4 tanks of fuel. I changed out to Delo 400 after I got the bike and haven't burned a drop in over 1000 miles. Don't know what that's about but there it is.

I started using the Delo 400 a number of years ago mostly to improve shifting (which it significantly did) but have found it overall very good. My "finger and nose test" oil analysis tells me viscosity is good, shear is low, and I'm changing it too soon at 3k miles.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Seems when searching about oil and KLRs I found more people using Shell Rotella the most. I went to walmart last week to check it out and found Shell Rotella T Triple Protection and was stoked to find the JASO MA rating on it. No reason to not try it I figured.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I'm surprised at the poll results so far... I kind of figured that the dino and synthetic would be pretty even. Course we KLR dudes are a frugal bunch and the synthetics cost quite a bit more usually. The Amsoil Motorcycle synthetic that the PO had in mine had a price tag of $14 on the one litre container... That would make an oil change at least $40 counting the filter, ouch!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'm surprised at the poll results so far... I kind of figured that the dino and synthetic would be pretty even. Course we KLR dudes are a frugal bunch and the synthetics cost quite a bit more usually. The Amsoil Motorcycle synthetic that the PO had in mine had a price tag of $14 on the one litre container... That would make an oil change at least $40 counting the filter, ouch!
LOL. I'm surprised anyone on here is shelling out for synth. No offense to anyone who does, but yeah...frugal is one word for it. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts