Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of the kit do I need to buy if I already have darn near every kind of puller known to man. Do I need gaskets, which springs, etc, I'm asking based on your experience as privet owner installers not as marketers of the parts.

This is not to infer mistrust but honestly asking privet KLR owners what parts they had to obtain in order to complete your balancer upgrade.

Thanks for your response,

Ard

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The only thing I had to order was the flywheel puller bolt. A cheap 1 1/4 crescent wrench will work fine to hold the flywheel when you torque it back. You will also need an "INCH" pound torque wrench. The casing bolts are torqued to 72 INCH pounds. You will need a standard torque wrench to retorque the flywheel when you put it back on. Final setting is over 100 FOOT pounds. We found an electric impact worked wonders to remove the flywheel. With the impact you won't have to use the wrench to hold the flywheel to break it loose. Leave 3 or 4 case bolts screwed in loosely in the side case, take a rubber mallet and tap the case until it breaks free. Using this method we have yet to have a gasket stick and break and were able to reuse the gasket. I bought a plastic gasket scraper to help in case it did stick just a bit. Worked like a dream. Remember there are two casings that have to be removed, the outer cover and then a thin inner casing, use this method for both. Some people use a very fine bead of silicone on the gasket when they put the casings back on, but we didn't. Never had a leak.

www.tpimotorcycleparts.com has the puller bolt in stock for $12.95. They are great to work with. I believe that that the actual doo kit they have is an Eagle Mikes kit, but I would ask them to be sure. If that is so, they have the whole kit which includes, the doohicky, two springs, the puller bolt and an oil filter for $49.95. You might call Mike to verify this is his product. If it isn't his, Happy Trails does carry just the doohickey kit for $39.95 at this link:
http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/KLR650-Doohickey-(Balancer-Idle-Lever-and-Spring-Upgrade)__KLR-EM-10.aspx
One other thing that will aggrevate you, or it always does us, is the shaft key, that likes to fall out when trying to align and slide the flywheel back onto the shaft. It makes life a bit easier if you can take a drift and slightly swage the bottom edge of the key out a bit to make it fit tightly into the groove on the shaft. This keeps it from falling out. If done right, a few taps with a small hammer are needed to seat it. The main thing to remember when doing this is patience and if you start having problems, walk away for a few minutes and then come back to it. :) I have probably left something out, and hope others will chime in. We have done at least 7 or 8 bikes and never had one issue. Also remember when adjusting the doo after this, use your INCH pound torque wrench and torque the doo bolt back to 72 inch pounds each time.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sending PM

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys all is well!

I got everything I needed at no cost except the lever and springs! They are in the mail from the Co. Eagle Mike.

Thanks for your help,

Ard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts