Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a rear stand for my KLR. What stand will fit the KLR that is good quality?
Thanks
Rick

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Centerstand? ....if so, my vote is none! If you want one anyway, be aware that the footpeg mounting bolts are problematic on the KLR so anything attaching to them adds stress and increases the likelihood of potential problems.

All that said, some really like having a centerstand so YMMV......probably has to do with how much time you spend offroad vs. on the road.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I am looking for a rear work stand to lift the rear wheel by the swing arm. Not looking for no stinking center stand>:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Center stands ROCK and the one thing I missed most owning a Harley was a center stand. That was the first thing I bought for this bike. Also the center stand came with it's own bolts replacing the klr if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
CAVEAT: Irrelevant anecdote follows.

Performing safety inspection at a national rally for two successive years, a guy showed up on a Versys (650 only available then) with a spool stand lashed to his rack. His chain was too tight (as in, no slack at all). Both years, he refused to adjust the chain himself, turned down the service of professional mechanics from Vendor's Row, ignored a referral to a dealership a few miles away (second year; first year rally was staged from a remote campground). I denied safety approval both times.

Mystery: What did he want with a spool stand out in the boonies? Had a completely operational sidestand.

Rather unusual character; claimed to be from the CIA; avoided all photography for that declared reason, including the group picture of the entire rally riders and staff . . . I wondered, if his association with the CIA is so critically secret, WHY IS HE TELLING EVERYONE AT THE RALLY OF HIS, "TRUE IDENTITY?" :)

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Center stands ROCK and the one thing I missed most owning a Harley was a center stand. That was the first thing I bought for this bike. Also the center stand came with it's own bolts replacing the klr if I'm not mistaken.
It's not the bolts its the nuts welded into the frame box that are the problem.

....but ignoring that particular issue, it really depends what you use the bike for; if the bike stays on pavement or gravel roads, a centerstand is fine, for single track it adds weight, reduces ground clearance and flops around on bumps and jumps. I've had centerstands on my road bikes (including my Harley) and they were fine but I'll never put one on a dual sport.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
623 Posts
CAVEAT: Irrelevant anecdote follows.

Performing safety inspection at a national rally for two successive years, a guy showed up on a Versys (650 only available then) with a spool stand lashed to his rack. His chain was too tight (as in, no slack at all). Both years, he refused to adjust the chain himself, turned down the service of professional mechanics from Vendor's Row, ignored a referral to a dealership a few miles away (second year; first year rally was staged from a remote campground). I denied safety approval both times.

Mystery: What did he want with a spool stand out in the boonies? Had a completely operational sidestand.

Rather unusual character; claimed to be from the CIA; avoided all photography for that declared reason, including the group picture of the entire rally riders and staff . . . I wondered, if his association with the CIA is so critically secret, WHY IS HE TELLING EVERYONE AT THE RALLY OF HIS, "TRUE IDENTITY?" :)
That’s funny lol.

Reality is he probably owed alimony and child support and the law is after him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a TrackSide stand from CycleGear that works fine. It has the pads that support the bike from the bottom of the swingarm. It was 90 bucks.

Alan

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
I've got a TrackSide stand from CycleGear that works fine. It has the pads that support the bike from the bottom of the swingarm. It was 90 bucks.

Alan
Somewhere, deep in southeast Asia, dedicated artisans work ALL NIGHT manufacturing these hydraulic ATV/Motorcycle lifts! These products may be marketed by many retailers: Sears, Harbor Freight, . . . a whole raft of motorcycle and auto parts-and-accessories stores. Useful shop tools, IMHO; a whole lot better than, nothing at all!

Watch your balance, side-to-side and fore-and-aft when raising your KLR (although that machine remains rather flat beneath the engine); those loops on the lift are for tie-downs, if you plan on scooting the bike across the floor with the rollers. OBVIOUS comments, perhaps, but . . . possibly useful safety considerations.

Use your lift in good health, AlanS!

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Reactions: roadrash83

·
Registered
338 Posts
One of the Biggest Problems with Swingarm stands is that they are intended to be a 2 person tool. Rider holds the bike vertical, then the mechanic inserts the stand and levers into place.

Attempting to use a swingarm stand by oneself is a recipe for a damaged bike.

I use one of these in my shop for dirt bikes and with unladen KLRs (can't lift full touring gear), https://www.denniskirk.com/motorsport-products/p-12-lift-stand-92-4015.p282503.prd/282503.sku
Exactly so center stand is the bomb :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Revzilla sells something called a snapjack which I had for a while and loved (until somebody stole my tankbag with it in it...). It's a little hinged piece of metal that you stick under the swingarm on the opposite side of the kickstand, and lock into place to lift the rear tire off the ground by an inch or two. Great little piece of kit, and definitely beats out a centerstand for weight/space savings. Comes with a bit of velcro that you can use to strap the front brake so it doesn't roll off.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After looking around, I found out Pit Bull has an adapter for the KLR that can be put on their swingarm stand. Works fantastic, but only works on the rear lift stands so you need to people.

·
Registered
342 Posts
One of the Biggest Problems with Swingarm stands is that they are intended to be a 2 person tool. Rider holds the bike vertical, then the mechanic inserts the stand and levers into place.

Attempting to use a swingarm stand by oneself is a recipe for a damaged bike.

I use one of these in my shop for dirt bikes and with unladen KLRs (can't lift full touring gear), https://www.denniskirk.com/motorsport-products/p-12-lift-stand-92-4015.p282503.prd/282503.sku
Exactly how i dropped my 'Busa a few years back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts