Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I would think long and hard about the VStrom.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I sold my 1000 Strom and bought a Wing. Just sayin.

If you're considering the Wing, remember that the 1500 is a touring bike... The 1800 is a sport touring bike..

Yes, I'm serious.. It's a big bike, but it doesn't handle, brake, accelerate, or do anything like a big bike..

Now for my biggest recommendation about GL1800 GoldWings.. Don't ride one unless you're ready to buy one.. If you take it for a ride, you will buy one..

My fiance HATED my V Strom. Wasn't comfortable for her.. Wind blast and seat comfort was good for a half hour. I was so-so with the bike. Nice power, but I didn't like the handling. Mileage was crappy (The Wing's better than the Strom), and for longer distance stuff there wasn't enough protection, even with a Givi windshild.

Pacific Coast hasn't been made in over 10 years, and is a 800 twin.. The ST is a great bike, but if mass is your deciding factor, check out what it weighs and what the Wing weighs.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Find an 06 Concours, it don't get much better than that.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'd have to vote for the V-strom too. My dl1000 has been great for long trips and handles great. 22,000 miles with trips from Ohio to Yellowstone and CO, up to the Adirondacks and down to Charleston SC and to the dragons tail have sold me on it. I just don't see many new dl1000's out there in stores.
If I had to consider another road bike I'd probably look at the GS1200 or KTM 990 adventure simply because they are so much like a strom in size and power. As for cruisers, I've yet to have seen anything that I like or have heard great things about. The old Concourses wern't too bad though. A little heavy on the maintance side though I've heard.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Think you need to consider how much weather protection you need, how much stuff you want to carry, how many hours at one stretch you would like to do and how fast you would like to be going, one other thing , are you likely to head off the black stuff ?
Bikes are far more personal than cars thats why bikes have so many different styles eg: cruisers, sports bikes, dual sports , tourers.... to name a few, if your not in any hurry dont need a huge fairing to hide behind and can come up with a way of carting your stuff around try a Triumph Scrambler....... these things are a hoot to ride have the low down torque and sound of a cruiser are ultra smooth, handle nice are comfy two up for several hours at a time and can even be taken off road if you so desire, i reckon the perfect compliment bike for the KLR...... just my 2 cent's

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Bratski, those two are SWEET. Are they yours? My God, they are fitted with knobs!!! Drool.

Back to the OP. Been looking to compliment the KLR with a stablemate. Something that is more long distance roadworthy but can still go on when the pavement ends. Narrowed it down to the Strom DL 1000, which I have ridden but feels "soft". Or the KTM 990 Adventure "R"....higher seat, ground clearance and more suspension travel plus an extra 6 or 7 K....... that I have not ever ridden. I am concerned about the KTM's short maintenance intervals and availability, cost of parts. But dammit, they are sweet looking and have great reviews. What to do?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I would ride my KLR more and save money for more mods.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bratski, those two are SWEET. Are they yours? My God, they are fitted with knobs!!! Drool.

Back to the OP. Been looking to compliment the KLR with a stablemate. Something that is more long distance roadworthy but can still go on when the pavement ends. Narrowed it down to the Strom DL 1000, which I have ridden but feels "soft". Or the KTM 990 Adventure "R"....higher seat, ground clearance and more suspension travel plus an extra 6 or 7 K....... that I have not ever ridden. I am concerned about the KTM's short maintenance intervals and availability, cost of parts. But dammit, they are sweet looking and have great reviews. What to do?
Ride the KTM first. The saddles on those are ass burners after just a few miles! Hate 'em!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey flash, no unfortunately they aren't my bike's but my bro has just bought an 08 model, last of the carby job's and i have ridden it and i loved it, the pro's are the low seat height which two up give's you more confidence when your farting about at slow speeds { i hear thats the biggest complaint from BMW GS1200 owners and the reason they drop them at low speed } i sat on the KTM, what a machine but way too tall in the saddle for me at 5,10" and not really a bike you could easily service yourself, the Scrambler is just a nice reliable low maintenance easy going super smooth fun bike to ride, that would easily handle two up with luggage, stick a decent screen up front and hit the road....

·
Registered
603 Posts
Go for the Tiger.You won't regret it :)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Triumph ST or my V-Strom DL1000 :) or the new Kawasaki Concours.

Paper I might be interested in the 1800 Wing.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Tim,
I'll make you the same offer as I made a guy on the North America Wing forum.. I'll GIVE you my Wing, AND a new set of tires, and all I ask is a new Wineberry 2009 model in return..:)

Hee hee.. Same bike, but I love the color..

·
Registered
4 Posts
My friend Butch has a v strom 1000 and my brother has a wee strom both bikes will do everything you are looking for. If you can get a test ride you might just be surprised. I'm currently try to sell my boat so I can get one or the other.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Since my last post here I made the plunge and bought a new '08 KTM Adventure. OMG, what a machine! Not to take away from the KLR, it is what it is, and I'm going riding tomorrow on it with a pal and his DRZ 400.

The KTM is fantastic, just what I wanted in a higher performance bike with the capability of continuing when the pavement stops. I wanted something more roadworthy and I got it. A previous poster mentioned the seat as being "hard". I can sit in the saddle twice as long than the KLR and be comfortable.

The negative is the cost of parts and maintenance. Just did the first service and the oil change took two hours.........sidecovers / tanks to remove, two screens and one filter. It is a dry sump system. I will tackle the valve adjustment tomorrow. No way I'm paying a KTM stealership $500 bucks for the first service. DIY. LYK.

My new ride.

BTW, I gave up a nice truck for that beater parked behind the bike!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can personally recommend the XJ900s. Very comfortable, handles well and plenty of power. Nice package with a set of Givi panniers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey flash, beautiful bike and i dont think you can buy a better large dual sport bike than the KTM, i have never ridden one myself so can you tell us whats it like, how do you find the seat height ? How's it feel offroad ect...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts