Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out exactly what's going on with the bottom side of my airbox. It looks like the drain hose and plug are missing. (Part #s 92192A and 92066).

No idea how long it's been like this. Maybe melted off due to proximity to the tail pipe?

Also, what's the purpose of the "boot" (part # 49006)

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
the boot allows water to exit the dirty side. It appears you are missing the cleanside drain which allows dirt into the engine - plug it asap

Dave

·
Registered
2011 KLR
209 Posts
A hose comes down from there and at the end of the hose is a cap. It's a scheduled maintenance item to drain that hose or when you see it collect water. It's the clean side of the air filter moisture drain, hence the cap (which you don't have).

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
61 Posts
Found this on here somewhere from someone. :)

·
Registered
2011 KLR
209 Posts
Ooo, the dirty side. Dirty birdie.

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the pointers.

The hose from the clean side drain is obviously missing. It looks like the nipple is partially melted. I guess when it melted that's when the hose fell off.

So, my question is, can anyone recommend an easy fix? Anything short of replacing the entire airbox?

Can I simply plug it with RTV or a screw or duct tape?

I tried attaching another hose but I couldn't get it to stay, even with a clamp. It looks like there isn't enough of the nipple left for the hose to get a good attachment.

·
Registered
2011 KLR
209 Posts
JB Weld Marine Weld a new tube on there

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
61 Posts
Double check the exhaust gasket behind the brake reservoir and that it’s not leaking hot exhaust (Gen 1 has this, assuming geN 2 is the same?)

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Thanks for all the pointers.

The hose from the clean side drain is obviously missing. It looks like the nipple is partially melted. I guess when it melted that's when the hose fell off.

So, my question is, can anyone recommend an easy fix? Anything short of replacing the entire airbox?

Can I simply plug it with RTV or a screw or duct tape?

I tried attaching another hose but I couldn't get it to stay, even with a clamp. It looks like there isn't enough of the nipple left for the hose to get a good attachment.

I have had a plugged clean side drain on my 2001 for about 8 years now without issue. None of my other bikes ever had such a drain, so I figured the KLR didn't need one either.......I'm not the first that has done it. A screw and some epoxy or JB weld would be a fix AFAIC

Dave

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
908 Posts
None of my other bikes had a clean side drain either. I put a rubber cap on mine. If you don’t ford creeks more than 2-1/2 ft deep, I don’t see how you can get water in there. And if you have so much oil collecting in there, you have much bigger problems!

·
Premium Member
'12 Candy Lime KLR
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll pick up some JB Weld on the way home. I already have a pile of screws, so no need to buy one of those.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
908 Posts
Or just use a lighter to melt it closed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts