Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding through the snow yesterday and afterwards noticed this clear tube just dangling. It has a black plug in one end and a clamp on the other. I have no idea what this goes to. Any help

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
darkhorse 720,
That tube, is the 'Drain Tube' from the CLEAN AIR side of the air filter.
Drain IT, clean it if you wish. But put it back ON!
You do not want to be sucking ANY dust / dirt into your motor!

I will suggest, that you give year reference in future postings.

And I WOULD SHORTEN that tube, right up to the TIE Strap, do NOT forget to plug IT.
In fact, check to SEE that it IS still plugged, from time to time.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
darkhorse 720,
That tube, is the 'Drain Tube' from the CLEAN AIR side of the air filter.
Drain IT, clean it if you wish. But put it back ON!
You do not want to be sucking ANY dust / dirt into your motor!

I will suggest, that you give year reference in future postings.

And I WOULD SHORTEN that tube, right up to the TIE Strap, do NOT forget to plug IT.
In fact, check to SEE that it IS still plugged, from time to time.

No that tube is on the aircleaner side, the "dirty" air. The only thing that connects to the "clean" air side (after the air filter) is the crankcase vent. I can't get the schematic to embed here's the link to the fiche select aircleaner.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
No that tube is on the aircleaner side, the "dirty" air. The only thing that connects to the "clean" air side (after the air filter) is the crankcase vent. I can't get the schematic to embed here's the link to the fiche select aircleaner.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2
Spec,
You are Incorrect!
Gen2 bike, has a rubber flapper / one-way valve on rear nipple (dirty air side) and they drip on the forward edge of the r. fender / r.shock protector.
The first 3 years of Gen 2 bikes, had a black hose with a clear bottle and a plug, to drain the Clean Side.
Beginning with 2011, Gen 2 bikes, they have a larger diameter clear hose with a plug, to drain the Clean Side.

Even the Gen 1 bikes are supposed have a Black 'Clean Air' Drain Hose.

Check the parts screens.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Spec,
You are Incorrect!
Gen2 bike, has a rubber flapper / one-way valve on rear nipple (dirty air side) and they drip on the forward edge of the r. fender / r.shock protector.
The first 3 years of Gen 2 bikes, had a black hose with a clear bottle and a plug, to drain the Clean Side.
Beginning with 2011, Gen 2 bikes, they have a larger diameter clear hose with a plug, to drain the Clean Side.

Even the Gen 1 bikes are supposed have a Black 'Clean Air' Drain Hose.

Check the parts screens.
There isn't a low spot on the carb side for a drain, no airbox on that side. The aircleaner sits slightly higher and the short intake angles down a bit. There wouldn't be anything to drain on that side anyway. The crankcase vent connects on that side but vapors not liquids are being pulled into the intake.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I have to admit I was confused about that myself. Today while in the garage I checked it out.
On my 2004 there is a black tube from the air box with a clear bottle near the bottom which has a short tube and a plug. The tube however, originates on the dirty air side.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
There isn't a low spot on the carb side for a drain, no airbox on that side. The aircleaner sits slightly higher and the short intake angles down a bit. There wouldn't be anything to drain on that side anyway. The crankcase vent connects on that side but vapors not liquids are being pulled into the intake.

Guys,
What looks at First Glance, in the diagram as the Most Forward 'flapper valve, 49006', is Actually the Most Left and REARWARD. Between the snorkel intake and the battery! Above the Chain Guard!

The drain tube '92192A' (92192-0883), is Ahead of the other 'flapper valve', '49006' (49006-1211), which is above the fender.

If you don't believe me, remove the air filter and spray carb cleaner thru the screen! Then spray carb cleaner into the front L.H. corner of the dirty air box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a new edition 2014 with about fifty miles on it. Is it my imagination, or is this really a big heavy wide street bike pretending to be something else ? My impression is about 85% street and 15% off-road. Couldn't be happier with it other than I'll be real careful about where I take it.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
ravensdale,
It all depends on 'Rider Skill'.

I've been riding continuously since 1970, and there are still people that can outpace me (1987 KLR650-A1) on a New Gen 2 KLR650 in the rough.
And I've been riding this Rocky Mountain 'rock pile' most of my Life!

Is it bravery or depth perception, I do not Know?

I can take a KLR650 into some pretty 'UGLY' places, But my KX500 does it quicker and faster. And you HAVE to KNOW WHEN to say, ENOUGH!

My fuel tank only has 1 small 'knee dent'.

Deep water crossings, being as how this is an AIR FILTER thread, is one example.
I STOP, at the Top of the Front tire, and WALK, to confirm it gets NO DEEPER!
Other riders, might gas it, and hope it does not get any deeper.
But, the cost of being incorrect, is to great for ME!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys,
What looks at First Glance, in the diagram as the Most Forward 'flapper valve, 49006', is Actually the Most Left and REARWARD. Between the snorkel intake and the battery! Above the Chain Guard!

The drain tube '92192A' (92192-0883), is Ahead of the other 'flapper valve', '49006' (49006-1211), which is above the fender.

If you don't believe me, remove the air filter and spray carb cleaner thru the screen! Then spray carb cleaner into the front L.H. corner of the dirty air box.
I agree with you. But what is it for? Why not let it drain directly on the ground as you ride?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I agree with you. But what is it for? Why not let it drain directly on the ground as you ride?
Pdwestman is experienced and correct on this. The "CAPPED" air box drain tube on the right side is from the "CLEAN" side of the filter. That is why it is capped although I think there is a little filter in the nipple where it attaches to the box.

It doesn't "drain directly on the ground as you ride" because it is capped. My best guess is that its purpose is to drain any water that gets splashed into the box during high water crossings and makes it past the filter.

When my 2008 started using oil the dealer service manager said it was just blowing out through the crankcase vent. It wasn't, but that too would have shown up in the capped clear vent tube.

By the way there two short (2 inch) duck bill shaped drain tubes on the dirty side of the box. One on the right and one on the left.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pdwestman is experienced and correct on this. The "CAPPED" air box drain tube on the right side is from the "CLEAN" side of the filter. That is why it is capped although I think there is a little filter in the nipple where it attaches to the box.

It doesn't "drain directly on the ground as you ride" because it is capped. My best guess is that its purpose is to drain any water that gets splashed into the box during high water crossings and makes it past the filter.

When my 2008 started using oil the dealer service manager said it was just blowing out through the crankcase vent. It wasn't, but that too would have shown up in the capped clear vent tube.

By the way there two short (2 inch) duck bill shaped drain tubes on the dirty side of the box. One on the right and one on the left.
I Know its capped Gomotor. My question was why not just let it drain as you ride . I get very little liquid in there and maybe drain it 2-3 times a year at most . Why not have it drain like the other tubes that are there for drainage / overfilling .

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I Know its capped Gomotor. My question was why not just let it drain as you ride . I get very little liquid in there and maybe drain it 2-3 times a year at most . Why not have it drain like the other tubes that are there for drainage / overfilling .
I can only speculate since models earlier than my 2011 actually had a small clear catch bottle above the plug so, Kawasaki must think it is important.

My first guess is to keep dust from being sucked up the line and into the engine. Even though there may be a little filter in the nipple at the air box, it could become clogged by dust/mud and block the drain.

My next guess is so that the rider can see if there is water or oil getting into the air box.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
reg26,
Even though GoMotor explained the why, I'll comment also.

It is capped to prevent any dust from being sucked up that drain hose and into the engine. And the end of the cap is accessible with-out having to remove rear brake reservoir to do so.

So now I have a question for you, what have you ever drained out of it?

In 30 years of KLR ownership, I've never had my KLR in a sustained wheelie, which might push oil up the crankcase vent. And the bike has never landed up-side down from a crash, thank goodness. So I have never had engine oil in the air box. Not even when it was burning 16 oz per 400 miles. (As GoMotor's dealer had suggested as possible)

Wyoming is actually a quite Dry climate, but some of the summer thunderstorms can be quite the deluge. Which most of us just continue to ride thru. And as I said earlier, I do not ford water deeper than the top of the front tire.

I've seen a 1/4 inch of dust, dirty water, clean water, oil and gasoline in those drain hoses of other owners. So, I wonder what gets into your air box and how?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Occasionally I will notice a couple of inches of liquid in the line, so I drain it. The liquid is typically oily water - mostly water.

I ride some routes with low water crossings - TAT, Great Divide Route, Trans Canada Adventure Trail, Idaho BCD, etc. I assume I get some splash rather than flooding from those trails. I think rain water from the tire would drain through the duck bills in the (edit= dirty side) before getting past the filter.

Possible careless car wash operation could get some water past the filter. I think you would have to flip the bike 180 degrees onto the handlebars to get oil out the crank case relief.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
reg26,

In 30 years of KLR ownership, I've never had my KLR in a sustained wheelie, which might push oil up the crankcase vent. And the bike has never landed up-side down from a crash, thank goodness.
Unfortunately my KLR's are subject to both events and so I have periodically drained a bit of oil from that tube (on my 2000 anyhow; I removed it and capped the one on my 2001 years ago).

Good information so far.....bottom line is that this is a clean side drain and should NOT be kept open.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there supposed to be another tube zip tied together next to the clear tube? I swear I saw a tiny black tube right next to it, now I look at it and I can’t find the black tube and the clear tube is loosely handing inside of the zip tie with enough room for another tube

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just found out from my local mechanic, who had to replace the battery, the black tube was the drain tube for the original battery that had been replaced. The newer battery doesn’t require maintenance and therefore doesn’t need a drain plug. Yahoo for me keepin an eagle eye on my girl.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts