Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 497 Posts

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm retired and The Tiny Little Woman Who Lives At My House And Hands Out Work isn't.

I do most of the cooking, and I try to keep the wimmin folk happy (TTLWWLAMHAHOW, hereafter known as TLW for short, Princess Mel, and Pepper, the Poor Pitiful Parvo Puppy. Lockjaw, I feel for ya.).

Just to pass the time while I wait for things to boil, bake, brown, and baste I thought I'd share what's for dinner everyday. I know, you don't care, but a boy gets bored...

The back story for tonight's meal is this: TLW declared that we need to try the foods of different cultures, so we oughta cook the holiday meals of different cultures. Where she came up with this I haven't a clue. I was won over by the sparkle in her eye, though.

You'd think I'd catch a break. You see, TLW is Japanese American and I've been eating raw fish, strange pickled things, unnamed sea creatures, odd kinds of fungi, and more rice than Uncle Ben ever dreamed of for more than 35 years. Not to mention going to strangely costumed dance recitals and listening to music that sounds like cats being strangled. And chanting, too. I think I've been pretty open to 'other cultures'....

All I can say is she needs to watch out when Oktoberfest rolls around, 'cuz homeboy's cookin' up some gut sausages. And beer. We may even be dancing around a Maypole come Erster Mai.

Tonight's menu is a nice brisket, slow cooked with onions and garlic, kugel, and a hearty pot of matzo ball soup.

Mmmmmmmmmm. Good eats!

Chag Pesach sameach!

T

Reactions: Carddyboy

·
Registered
93 Posts
OK, I'm retired and The Tiny Little Woman Who Lives At My House And Hands Out Work isn't.

I do most of the cooking, and I try to keep the wimmin folk happy (TTLWWLAMHAHOW, hereafter known as TLW for short, Princess Mel, and Pepper, the Poor Pitiful Parvo Puppy. Lockjaw, I feel for ya.).

Just to pass the time while I wait for things to boil, bake, brown, and baste I thought I'd share what's for dinner everyday. I know, you don't care, but a boy gets bored...

The back story for tonight's meal is this: TLW declared that we need to try the foods of different cultures, so we oughta cook the holiday meals of different cultures. Where she came up with this I haven't a clue. I was won over by the sparkle in her eye, though.

You'd think I'd catch a break. You see, TLW is Japanese American and I've been eating raw fish, strange pickled things, unnamed sea creatures, odd kinds of fungi, and more rice than Uncle Ben ever dreamed of for more than 35 years. Not to mention going to strangely costumed dance recitals and listening to music that sounds like cats being strangled. And chanting, too. I think I've been pretty open to 'other cultures'....

All I can say is she needs to watch out when Oktoberfest rolls around, 'cuz homeboy's cookin' up some gut sausages. And beer. We may even be dancing around a Maypole come Erster Mai.

Tonight's menu is a nice brisket, slow cooked with onions and garlic, kugel, and a hearty pot of matzo ball soup.

Mmmmmmmmmm. Good eats!

Chag Pesach sameach!

T
And you didn't invite any of us????? :26:

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's enough matzo balls for a small army, and that's after cutting the recipe in half. Sheesh.

Maybe I can make hush puppies out of them...

T

·
Registered
34 Posts

*reads post*

*looks at slightly limp salad based lunch*

I know i'm supposed to be a mature adult these days but I may just start to sulk..

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm just curious. Can you eat any other parts of a Matzo?
No, they're too wiry. The damn things are hard to kill, too. They have to run the things over with a steam roller to kill them, which is why they come all flattened out like that.

My balls fell apart a little bit from being hung in the soup just a tad too long. Ahem...

It was all pretty good though.

The wiener hound thought she needed more.

T

Reactions: Carddyboy

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I'm just curious. Can you eat any other parts of a Matzo?
OMG!! I just spit long grain rice all over my computer!!
I am on the other end of the spectrum Tom. I live single so I do all the cooking too! Tonight was a BBQ NewYork strip, the aformentioned long grain rice and kernel corn all served steaming on an Apple Computer!! Any single Gals out there looking for a catch?:60:
Regards....justjeff

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Any single Gals out there looking for a catch?:60:
Regards....justjeff

In Lac La Biche!!?? Just go down to the hotel bar. I'm sure you'll catch something.

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tonight was sausage and peppers for me, meatballs and spaghetti for the wimmin.

I didn't make it; it was from Scardino's. Princess Mel's birthday and her request.

Are your Lac La Biche women lumberjacks?

T

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Tonight was sausage and peppers for me, meatballs and spaghetti for the wimmin.

I didn't make it; it was from Scardino's. Princess Mel's birthday and her request.

Are your Lac La Biche women lumberjacks?

T
No they are Alberta Oilfield Workers!:wideeyed:
jj

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was going to question whether or not they put on women's clothing; panties and a bra.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
We eat like schizophrenic tweakers. Like cream cheese and pickle sandwiches with tuna on the side.

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That looks good!

T

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
Hell, why not a "recipe?" Why not a hillbilly recipe from way back? For those of you who like hot food, go to the grocery store and buy a plastic gallon jug of hamburger-sliced dill pickles, two 12-ounce bottles of Louisiana-style hot sauce, some of that jarred, sliced garlic and a 4-pound bag of sugar. 4 pounds, you say? Yes, sugar no longer comes in 5-pound bags. It costs the same, but you only get 4 pounds.

Dump out all the pickles and juice through a colander and rinse them off with water. Put the pickles back in the jar, layering with sugar and hot sauce until the jar is full. Add garlic to taste. I use a lot of it. Put in the fridge and take out a couple of times a day and shake and rotate it. Eventually, over a few days, the sugar and hot sauce will meld into a liquid in the jar, resulting in some damned good pickles, although you might want to avoid this one if you're a diabetic. Hey, at least it's a no-fat recipe.

I guess you could do a smaller batch, but I always do a gallon because of people at work clamoring for me to give them some and they're cheaper to make in bulk and the longer they sit around, the better they are.

Believe it or not, here in Holt County, I even make and preserve my own cabbage kimchi that rivals any I ever ate in Korea. I also make a mean cucumber kimchi in the summertime, but it's not preservable for Winter eating.

I've got a really good horseradish pickle recipe, too.

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mmmmm, kimchi. Love that stuff.

We have a Korean-owned Chinese restaurant nearby that serves kimchi as an appetizer. They used to not bring it to me and I had to ask for it.

I think they used to stand back in the kitchen and make fun of the white boy chowing down on the stuff.

They got over it.

That sounds like a good pickle recipe.

Remind me someday to tell the story about the first time I came home and found TLW munching on pickled dikon. I thought something had died under the house.

T

1 - 20 of 497 Posts