Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

441 - 460 of 499 Posts

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
The first step was to apply red icing to the top of the sleigh and then sprinkle red sugar crystals over the wet icing. We did that yesterday and allowed them to dry over night.

The sugar crystals' color is a water soluble dye, so they will bleed into any icing that is next to them. To prevent that we install a bleed barrier, which is just a piping of red icing. The crystals will bleed red into the red icing and hopefully it won't be noticeable.

Next up is to install the stitch lines for the tuck 'n roll upholstery job. Once dried, these will be painted a translucent gold before flooding in between them.

TLW and I have decided to go for broke; today is day two and we want to have all the pieces' icing completed today. That gives us tomorrow for first assembly and Tuesday for final assembly, testing, and packaging.

Tom

·
Registered
529 Posts
Range top envy! That's an awesome setup ya got there. We adopted the tradition of making a bunch of cookies that get handed out as Christmas presents. I've got a handful of buddies I've met online and its nice to be able to send them something to hold in their hand, and not just a card. I've never rose to your level of attention to detail on cookie production though. Go hard, Tom! :laugh3:

Lebkuchen! Well, mass quantities of American gingerbread that will become sleighs filled with Goetze's caramels, Dove chocolates and the Jolly Elf. It'll take about four days to complete these holiday wonders.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
The gold paint is confectioner's gold mixed with vodka.

Now we're just watching paint dry...

Tom

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Sleigh assembly tooling.

The herd of wee fellas.

The head wee fella.

Tom

Reactions: pdwestman

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Amazing Tom!! Are these the kick start or the electric start versions? :smile2: Are those bullets and buckshot in the jig containers?
JJ

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #446

·
Premium Member
7,144 Posts
Very nicely finished Tom, as always. :35:

I can see the Hot Glue gun was for the form boards, but what did use on the inside of the sleighs to glue them together? Just a brown icing?

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
The first sleighs were done using brown icing, but we introduced a mid-run change to hot melt glue.

Face it, people aren't gonna eat these things and it takes a good 12 hours for royal icing to set up hard. Being a low budget operation on the verge of getting sourced out to Thailand, we could only afford one set of production assembly tooling.

We had to use royal icing last year because the mug monkeys and houses were directly food related, but these are more decorative than edible.

We went with the more expedient technique and will tell people not to eat the hot melt glue.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
Yeah, everything has to be KLR related on this forum. We absolutely don't allow for any off-topic discussion, so I worked that in...

Tom

Reactions: shinyribs

·
Registered
22 Posts
The wee reindeer run on hay and need a kick in the heinie to get moving, so they are boot-start.

Of course!

Tom
Now Tom, since you don't have Tooooooooooooo many projects going. Practice your baking a little more and try out for the English Baking contest. A version is running on Anti-American Brodcast Co.
Mike

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
The Great British Baking Show, the real one in England under the tent, is the best baking show around. It's far better than any of the crapola reality baking shows on American TV.

Probably the best American show is America's Test Kitchen but the founder and best part of the show, Chris Kimball, left a year ago. He also left as the editor of Cook's Illustrated. Great magazine and we trust any recipe in it.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Just did a batch of home made Beef Jerky. A 4lb roast turns into about 1 1/2lbs of jerky. So much better than the store bought stuff with no artificial colors or flavors!! It is the perfect KLR apocalypse survival food!

JJ

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Great British Baking Show, the real one in England under the tent, is the best baking show around. It's far better than any of the crapola reality baking shows on American TV.

Probably the best American show is America's Test Kitchen but the founder and best part of the show, Chris Kimball, left a year ago. He also left as the editor of Cook's Illustrated. Great magazine and we trust any recipe in it.

Tom
That is airing now on ABC tonight. Took Americans to England for this CHRISTmas baking contest. Think five or six contestants are left. Mary Barry is a tough judge.
Mike

22 degrees here and heading to Pauls.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just did a batch of home made Beef Jerky. A 4lb roast turns into about 1 1/2lbs of jerky. So much better than the store bought stuff with no artificial colors or flavors!! It is the perfect KLR apocalypse survival food!

JJ
That sounds delicious. Should I send you my address?? :wink2:

·
Banned
0 Posts
No, they're too wiry. The damn things are hard to kill, too. They have to run the things over with a steam roller to kill them, which is why they come all flattened out like that.

My balls fell apart a little bit from being hung in the soup just a tad too long. Ahem...

It was all pretty good though.
//farm9.staticflickr.com/8243/8595589866_b060981c29_b.jpg

The wiener hound thought she needed more.//farm9.staticflickr.com/8095/8595579342_f4636505d5_b.jpg

T
This made me hungrier!!!

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Not cooking tonight. Even though my Mom was a great cook, when I was a kid my Dad would sometimes rebel against her standard fare and "get a hankering for" stuff like sardines, liver cheese/braunschweiger, canned oysters, head cheese, "potted meat food product," vienna sausages, etc. My Mom recoiled from such stuff in horror, but I'd always eat it with him. So, I occasionally pick something out of this lineup that I like to call "Nitrates On Parade" and partake on a Saturday evening. Tonight was sardines.

My favorite variety: King Oscar. Please don't ever deny us that Royal Permission, Your Highness!

Certainly not above eating them straight out of the can, but I prefer to "plate" so I can dust them with some Old Bay Seasoning. My other technique is to mash them up with some Old Bay and a splash of malt vinegar and eat on Saltine crackers.

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
I have to go along with Mom on this one, planalp.

Guts and bait are not on my list of approved foodstuffs. I'm not sure where Vienna sausage falls but they give me the wind something fierce so I have to pass on those, too.

Potted meat, hmmm. I like deviled ham and I make a mean Spam musubi, but I'm not sure if those strictly fall into the category of potted meat.

441 - 460 of 499 Posts