Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

461 - 480 of 499 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,144 Posts
An occasional visit to the 'soup kitchen' makes one appreciate the better cooks & recipes we too often take for granted in our daily lives. :)

I will also eat fish from the can, but some of them seem to have a weeks allowance of sodium in one can!
How did our forefathers survive?

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
I have to go along with Mom on this one, planalp.

Guts and bait are not on my list of approved foodstuffs. I'm not sure where Vienna sausage falls but they give me the wind something fierce so I have to pass on those, too.

Potted meat, hmmm. I like deviled ham and I make a mean Spam musubi, but I'm not sure if those strictly fall into the category of potted meat.
A quick bit of research shows that deviled ham is pretty much just ham and spices. Potted meat contains all kinds of stuff like tripe, probably cartilage and sinew, God only knows what else. I like them both, tho............

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
An occasional visit to the 'soup kitchen' makes one appreciate the better cooks & recipes we too often take for granted in our daily lives. :)

I will also eat fish from the can, but some of them seem to have a weeks allowance of sodium in one can!
How did our forefathers survive?
Good point about meat preservation back in the day. I'm guessing it wasn't that bad because sodium wasn't added to everything else they ate like it is today. Take out the fat, replace that fat with sodium and sugar and add "Low-Fat" to the label and everybody will buy it....

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Cooked some bison liver and onions this afternoon.

Would have been a lot less work to just eat it like John Dunbar......

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #465

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Ha! I forgot about that Big scene. Accurate portrayal of most folks' reaction to liver. Is it offal, or is it awful?

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
"It's just offal!" was Tom's gut reaction.

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
In preparation for cookie season, we are testing new equipment, recipes, and techniques.

The downside is I have many cookies to eat and they don't go with beer.

It does have me wondering if I can press pretzel dough and make beer snacks.

Or dog treats...

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #470
That was last year.

Reactions: roadrash83

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Ah, I see. Well, for what it's worth, I'm not much on those round sprinkles, but would definitely do the granulated sprinkles.

I see no reason why you couldn't pull off pretzels or dog treats.

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #472
I'm worried that the pretzels would be like dog treats.

Reactions: pdwestman

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Got drunk and brewed up some Buffalo Wings: close to the original recipe as I can get.

Fry drumettes in peanut oil until skin is crispy.
Dredge in mixture of butter and Frank's Hot Sauce with some vinegar and cayenne pepper added.
Bake wings for 45 minutes at 350 in baking dish with rest of sauce mixture.
Broil for a few minutes to further brown, flipping once.
Serve with Bleu Cheese Dressing.
Celery? I think not.
Eat.

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
Yeah, that's the ticket.

Tomorrow we're making carnitas and an apple cake.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
I'll eat just about any variety of wing there is, but whenever I make my own I always go with the standard Buffalo Wings recipe. Tyson used to make some pre-cooked, frozen-in-a-bag Tequila Lime Wings that were outstanding but I haven't seen them for a long time.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Asparagus cooked to perfection. Drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with some sea salt, cooked in the Instant Pot for two minutes.

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
We just took a class in izakaya. That is the art of Japanese bar food, basically what you'd expect to find at a Japanese bar and consumed while you drink three times your body weight in sake before stumbling home after a hard day's work.

It was all good stuff and there are at least two recipes we're going to make at home, maybe three.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
We just took a class in izakaya. That is the art of Japanese bar food, basically what you'd expect to find at a Japanese bar and consumed while you drink three times your body weight in sake before stumbling home after a hard day's work.

It was all good stuff and there are at least two recipes we're going to make at home, maybe three.
If any of the recipes turn out good, toss 'em our way.

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #479
There is one for what is essentially a cabbage pancake that is really good. Sounds awful, but it has shrimp, scallions, ginger, cheese (!) in it and you put strips of pork belly on one side, then fry it up. Okonomiyaki. I played the round-eye-iriot and ate me a mess of it after class.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
There is one for what is essentially a cabbage pancake that is really good. Sounds awful, but it has shrimp, scallions, ginger, cheese (!) in it and you put strips of pork belly on one side, then fry it up. Okonomiyaki. I played the round-eye-iriot and ate me a mess of it after class.
Yeah, I'd definitely eat those. Last Summer I had some kimchi pancakes at Dae Gee in Denver that were out of this world. I'm gonna make some whenever I get around to making a batch of good kimchi. Only store-bought kimchi around here is that King's stuff in a glass jar and it sucks, therefore anything it's used in as an ingredient would also suck.

461 - 480 of 499 Posts