Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

481 - 499 of 499 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
A favorite and easy recipe I've been making for years. I will note that it tastes better later on after all the flavors have been given a chance to meld as opposed to right out of the pot. It's good fresh, but better "cured." I'd suggest cooking it, fridging it then getting into it the next day as "leftovers." Some rice in it would probably be good but I've never done it.

1-1/2 to 2 pounds ground beef. I would suggest an offering with "moderate" fat content like 80/20. You don't want too much fat but you've gotta have some in there.
1/2 head green cabbage, finely chopped
1/2 head red cabbage, finely chopped
1-14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1-Medium Onion, diced.
Salt
Pepper

In a large stockpot, brown the burger and diced onion until burger is no longer pink and onions are translucent. Do not drain.
Add the can of diced tomatoes and the cabbage. I recommend using a large stock pot as the uncooked cabbage will take up a lot of space before it reduces down.
Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the cabbage is done the way you like it; generally about 20 minutes. I prefer mine with just a tad bit of crisp left to it. Season as you go with salt and pepper to your liking.

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
You would like this:

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #483 (Edited)
Okonomiyaki is a savory cabbage pancake. It's mostly vegetarian as the base is cabbage. It has scallions, ginger, eggs, yam flour, cheese, and whatever else you want to add into it. I like to add in srimps 'n ohnyones. Maybe just a pinch of cayenne pepper.

The kicker is that one side is covered in pork belly, for which bacon is an excellent substitute. Finally, it has a brown sauce and mayonnaise dribbled over it.

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
I'm going to give your recipe to TLW. She loves cabbage.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
I'm going to give your recipe to TLW. She loves cabbage.
It's pretty plain compared to some of the stuff I've seen come out of y'all's kitchen. Another variation is cabbage with bacon instead of burger. I usually just use the shredded slaw mix when I do that one. Doesn't seem too much of a stretch to modify that into the okonomiyaki.

In fact, it's on my to-do list for next weekend. Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Not worth the hassle of posting a photo of it, but here's a quick and easy recipe for those who gravitate toward Indian cuisine like I do:

1- 14-oz. jar of "Culinary Tours" brand Vindaloo sauce. (Available in most grocery stores).
1-Small 7-oz can of spinach, well-drained
1/2-14 oz. can of chickpeas, well-drained
Cup or 2 of frozen cauliflower florets

Just dump it all in a saucepan and let it simmer for awhile. You can pair it with some bismati or jasmine rice or just eat it out of the bowl like a stew.

·
Registered
210 Posts
( todays dinner is ) 3 meat meatballs, with mashed potatoes and gravey, and corn off the cob canned from a garden.
Try your hand at making your own, crab rang goon,, its easy and very taisty, just spray with cooking spray and bake, and dip in duck sauce, (bought)
Try this dump and go sml crockpot rsp, its great and freezes great.
1, pkt taco seasoning
1,pkt enchilada seasoning
1, 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1, sml can tomato sauce 8oz
1, tbsp. tomato paist
1, tbsp chili powder
1, tbsp. or + sarahcha powder
2, sml cans corn with the water (it adds flavor) ( im single so its all small cans vegies) probably is = to one medium can with water.
1, can chic broth
1, chic bullion
onion
green ppr
sweet ppr
beans, cooked, any, or none
1, cup dry rice, I like mixed
MEAT,, ANY OR NONE, I like pulled pork best, it holds up great.
cook for 4-6 hours, eat it in a bowl, and or taco shell, I do 2 open face soft shells, and top with cheese, and bake In oven. Its a all in one meal. Great to bring to parties, and again, freezes great and for a long time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
DRUNKIN shrimp is a date night special.
My x mother inlaws rsp.
servs 2
2 srvs medium shrimp ( im to cheep to buy the large ones. ) 2 large hand fulls, all cleaned.
sauté in 1 stick of butter with 2 cloves garlic. ( yes one stick) salt and ppr to taste, I don't salt it.
add half of cup seasoned bread crumbs, I make my own with seasoned crutons, and or box stuffing mix..
Add half a cup dry vermouth, and or any white wine, saki might be good.
heat all and serve.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Okay, we all need to get together to decide what day we're going to show up at lineman's place to eat.........

·
Registered
776 Posts
We all need to head over to maverick9611's for some of that ham.....

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
I can't. Love to, but I can't.

I have a ham, cheese, spinach, mushroom and broccoli quiche that just came out of the oven cooling on the counter. That should last TLW and I for about four days.

Those hams look really good, though. I would presume there's baked beans to go with, eh?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would like to, but we have to stay home. And we already ate anyway.

Panko pork chops-
You can use boneless pork chops, or pork cutlets, sliced thin.
Pound out to tenderize the pork
coat in flour on a plate
dip in beaten eggs
then coat in Panko bread crumbs generously
fry in olive oil (or whatever you like to use) for 2:30-3:00 minutes a side at 350

If you can find "Katsu" sauce in the Asian section of your store, it makes a great dipping sauce, or pour over the chops.
Teriyaki, or sweet & sour will work too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Cheesy scalloped potatoes with ham and corn, makes a great meal.

Few days ago I tried a new thing for my gluten free mom. I not gluten free so its just a play on the flour. ( cheesy, hotdog, cornbread. ) A batch for 2 or 3 people. Its simple and really good.

1, 1/2 cup cornmel
2, 1/4 cup flower or gluten free flower
3, 1, tsp bakng powder
4, 1/4 tsp baking soda
5, 2 tbsp. brn sugar
6, 3 tbsp. hole milk or what you have, I used powdered milk and it is fine.
7, 4 tbsp. butter;
8, 1 egg beaten
9, (optional) 1 single srvs can of creamed corn, or corn, its great with it and adds a vegi.
10, SORRY, ALMOST FORGOT, 1 tbsp. vanilla, it is great.

Slice round, and in a pan, sauté 2-8 hotdogs of choice, let cool, mix all batter ingredients , ( I used 8 inch cast iron pan.) poor half the batter in pan, spread out all the dogs and sprinkle some cheddar cheese or cheese on dogs, and cover with rest of batter and bake 375 till done. Healthyish corn dogs. I don't have kids, but think they would find this cool, made in muffin tins. And for a party or camping neighbors, I can make this in muffin tins giving samples away easy.

I don't have the freezer space, but its also a good time, wile hunkered down, to make homemade crab rang goons, and homemade pot stickers, vegan, or pork, as both things freeze well. No one is hording wonton wrappers, yet. And lots of sweat and sour sauce and pot sticker dipping sauce still on the shelf.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This isn't food, but anyone that travels, and or travels on bike and or over night hikes, give me a PM and ill give ya a rsp for homemade soap. Its soap, shampoo, cream rince, shaving cream, and can be used to do your laundry.
Its actually a free book, probably get it from kindle also, ( Ann Bramdon called soap), great reading, as it gives the history of it.
Before we had TV's when camping we talked to each other and read a book. So I would order different cheep books and read. First batch I made is the one I still stick with. As I used to do a lot of electric, storm trouble as the pay was great, so the one ball/bar of soap did everything but brush my teeth. Ive been making this going on 25 years now. One batch lasts me a year with giving some samples away.
The time FL got hit by 4 hurricanes, I was getting flack for doing my own laundry in the sink, and hanging it over the boom of the truck to dry, but on the 7th day, the company still hadn't done any ones stinky sweaty laundry yet. No one laughed after that, they just looked at me like I just grabbed the last roll of TP. They were putting things back on that stood up on their own. 18 hour days in heat and humidity makes one sweat and stink.
Its perfect for camping off the bike, as its all natural, one can bring water shoes and swim trunks, and take a bath in the lake or river, or stream, no liquid so no spilling, wile packed. People with skin problems spend lots of money on this stuff, when they can make it on their own. I don't have skin problems, but love How it works. Im 56 years old, and worked outside most of my live and all my skin is nice.

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #498
One of our favorites, TLW and I made an Egg Pie. It starts out trying to be a quiche, but we stuff it with so much ham, cheese, broccoli. mushrooms, and spinach that no self-respecting Frenchman would claim it. We like it but call it what it is, Egg Pie.

We've been on a Crème Brûlée kick the past week. This time around we doubled the amount of vanilla and used traditional low ramekin. Last week we used tall ones. Comes out about the same, but last week's servings were 3oz while these are 6oz. That's a lot of Crème Brûlée.

Reactions: planalp

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
I've been thinking of doing one of those "hash brown crust" quiches. Maybe this post will give me the motivation to finally do it. I think I'd lean toward the "oversuffed" version, myself.

481 - 499 of 499 Posts