Vacation?

Where was the nightcrawler?

Admittedly not a big Chevy fan...

T

·
Administrator
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I must say, Tom, you're healthy eaters. You haven't posted anything yet that I wouldn't chow down on!
We try. There's a lot of repetition with yams and broccoli; we have it almost every day. Brussell's sprouts ans squash, too.

Tomorrow's meal will be less healthy...

T

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Vacation?

Where was the nightcrawler?

Admittedly not a big Chevy fan...

T
We have a winner. Related nightcrawlers/worms to both Twister and Vacation.. Impressive.

Cousin Eddie's son Dale had a worm farm. I believe they had to sell the worm farm when they bought their RV.

John P. Navin, who played Dale, was also the first patron of the Cheers (tv show) bar.

·
Administrator
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Bol0gnese Stuffed Peppers and the usual accouterments...

T

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
No picture but it was grilled porkchop, perogies, peas and sauteed mushrooms. I ran out of "P" foods!
Regards....justjeff

·
Administrator
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Sauteed mushrooms are good, but a potato would have gone well in that mix...

T

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
I didn't make it and couldn't take a picture of it presented on a tan compartmentalized plastic tray with a bright orange spork for eating it, but I had Prison Turkey Tetrazini along with the inmates; kind of a bland mixture of overcooked spaghetti, some kind of nondescript tomato/green pepper sauce and TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) cubes of "poultry" with all the flavor and consistency of 1" cubes of balsa wood.

Also, "salad" that consisted of lettuce, carrot slivers and cabbage with no kind of dressing at all and some canned pears that were as hard as green apples and had absolutely no flavor whatsoever: probably some kind of assembly-line rejects set aside for institutional use or for feeding exotic animals in sanctuaries and zoos.

Yeah, I can take my own food in, but it's easier and cheaper to just eat the food there. I carry in small plastic bottles of Frank's Hot Sauce and Red Pepper Flakes and between the two of them, they make most dishes there edible, or at least a hell of a lot better than they taste coming out of the kitchen.

One day I turned in my tray with red pepper flakes still clinging to it and the cook, thinking it was returned by an inmate, yelled, "Hey! What the hell is this?" I bent down and looked through the tray return window and said, "They're called spices. You put them in food to make it taste better. You should try using them some time." I received a fierce scowl in return.

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
And spices are "low calorie" too!!
jj
Indeed. The wife's not too big on spicy food and a lot of times I "alter" a little bit of what we're having for myself. She wants some kind of bland-ass chicken breasts this weekend. I'm going to try taking a couple, cutting them open and stuffing some jalapeno slices inside them before I grill them.

·
Administrator
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Try a simple glaze of 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup of mustard, a tablespoon of Worchestershestershire sauce and a tablespoon of poultry seasoning.

Use it like you would a barbecue sauce.

T

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Try a simple glaze of 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup of mustard, a tablespoon of Worchestershestershire sauce and a tablespoon of poultry seasoning.

Use it like you would a barbecue sauce.

T
Sounds good. I'll give it a try. I already have all that stuff.

·
Administrator
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Chicken Marinara with penne pasta and the usual mushy orange tuber. Chicken was rubbed with olive oil, oregano, Italian spices
and liberally sprinkled with minced garlic before adding the sauce.

The Weinerhund approves.

T

·
Administrator
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
planalp, I am very worried.

I am interested in how you found that, yet I don't want to know.

T

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
planalp, I am very worried.

I am interested in how you found that, yet I don't want to know.

T
What rock have you been hiding under, Tom? I'm surely not the only one on here who routinely views the hugely popular Asian cartoons expounding the goodness of roasted sweet potatoes? Hell, they literally litter the internet, such as the classic "A Song Of Roast Sweet Potatoes." Katy Perry did a good cover it, but no free version is available anywhere yet.

Have you tried cooking them in a pile of leaves as described in both these videos?

·
Administrator
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Alright, now I'm truly frightened. A fairly stout and tough fellow who deals with society's roughest citizens is into anime.

We have not tried cooking Satoimo, yams, or sweet potatoes in a pile of leaves.

In truth, we haven't cooked anything in a pile of leaves...

T

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
In truth, we haven't cooked anything in a pile of leaves...
T
I haven't either, but an experiment in Japanese cooking techniques may be in order this coming Fall. I figured if it was mentioned in both songs, it must be based in fact. Seems like it's a big deal over there for kids. I now feel I must try it. See? This thread is useful and has taught us new things. And, I'm not joking. I'm going to try it. 9 times out of 10 I just cook them in the microwave.

http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/archives/news/04-02/yakiimo.html

In the meantime, I think I might try the wet newspaper/foil technique on the grill.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Shock Awe Bewilderment. You just never really know do you? Wow! Speechless.
jj

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Taco Salad. I usually use spinach, but our small-town grocery store was out tonight, so I forged ahead with iceberg lettuce. I really need to grow some spinach this year.

61 - 80 of 504 Posts