Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

What to ask for when selling my KLR

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  jtope28 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all!

I generally hate posts like this one, but here I am... :(

My husband and I have three KLRs, 2 Gen 1 and 1 Gen 2. We're considering selling the Gen 2 to keep things a little more manageable. But he says that no one will want to give him anything for his bike because of the cosmetic damage. Mechanically, the bike is sound. Aesthetically, not so much.

Here are the specs:
- 2008 Blue
- just over 20K
- light oil burner
- rashed fairings (right side is actually missing pieces)
- front fairing is cracked and chipped where it is supposed to attach near the gas tank (zip ties are doing a fabulous job)

Extras:
- Happy Trails hard bags and mounts
- HT skid plate
- HT crash bars (yes, installed 'after the fact")
- heated grips
- LED flashing brake light
- Givi case and mount (not sure of the size, but will hold a helmet)

Soooo - in light of the above, what would be a fair asking price? Again, everything is sound, it just looks like it's been on an adventure (which it has been!)

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
My guess would be $3500 or so. The broken pieces aren't cheap. Are you just selling the Gen2 so that you have two Gen1s that can share parts and supplies? New 2009s were selling in the $4000 range in a few places about 6 months ago. Even in a place that doesn't have to move the stock that quick, the new 2009s were less than $5000. For just the bike itself, I paid just barely more than $5k for a 2010 new. Have you tried Ebay for the parts you need to fix it? You may get lucky and be able to fix the worst of it on the cheap. It is also possible some members here have some plastics that they will sell.

Good luck!!!!

#3 ·
Hey all!

I generally hate posts like this one, but here I am... :(

My husband and I have three KLRs, 2 Gen 1 and 1 Gen 2. We're considering selling the Gen 2 to keep things a little more manageable. But he says that no one will want to give him anything for his bike because of the cosmetic damage. Mechanically, the bike is sound. Aesthetically, not so much.

Here are the specs:
- 2008 Blue
- just over 20K
- light oil burner
- rashed fairings (right side is actually missing pieces)
- front fairing is cracked and chipped where it is supposed to attach near the gas tank (zip ties are doing a fabulous job)

Extras:
- Happy Trails hard bags and mounts
- HT skip plate
- HT crash bars (yes, installed 'after the fact")
- heated grips
- LED flashing brake light
- Givi case and mount (not sure of the size, but will hold a helmet)

Soooo - in light of the above, what would be a fair asking price? Again, everything is sound, it just looks like it's been on an adventure (which it has been!)

Thanks for any suggestions!!!
If I could afford it I would buy it in a heartbeat. I know how you have treated your bikes... All adventure... All the time.... maintenance... No problem!

MB4

#4 ·
I can't really say in the States as I know your bikes sell a lot cheaper than they do here in Canada. I do know though that an 08 KLR with fairly low mileage (but few farkles) here sells for around $4500. I'm guessing that with lots of plastic damage you would have to knock about a grand off taking you down to $3500. Between the price difference in the US and here, and the farkles you have on yours I'm guessing somewhere in the $3000 to $3500 range. Personally, I would keep it but that's just me :)

#5 ·
I'd pull the farkles off and sell them here, and get what you can for the bike..
If it were me, I'd replace the plastic with whatever color you can find, used, and rattle can the bike flat black.. A non damaged bike, even if it's not factory colors will be worth 20% more than a damaged bike..

It depends if you have the time to dress the bike up a bit, and take the goodies off.. The farkles aren't going to make you much money on the bike, but if you sell them, you'll make a few bucks to buy spare plastic and have money left over.. The complete (but farkless) bike will sell for more money, and you'll make someone happy by selling them used farkles for less than new.. :)

I love the used bags I bought here, because the price was fair and 2/3 of the price of new.. I spent a couple hours dressing them up (rattle can flat black) and they look great!!

Again, it's goind to depend on how much time you want to invest..

#8 ·
Thanks for your thoughts, guys!

Normally I wouldn't even consider selling it, but it's Dan's bike and he really can't stand to ride it now that he has his 800 :ashamed0001: As for me, I already have the two other KLRs and an 1150GS, so it's not like I need another bike to ride.

We're in no great hurry to move on it, so I'll continue to consider my options.

BTW - Paper's right about the heated grips. But you know, you can have a new pair for $45 or so from Dual Star (yes, I waited good and long for them to finally be in stock and show up :46: but they're the best ones I've ever used)

#9 ·
I agree with Paper (sort of).

Remove the Happy Trails hard bags / mounts and Givi case / mount (not sure of the size, but will hold a helmet) and hold them hostage.

Leave these on:
- HT skid plate is probably banged up.
- HT crash bars (yes, installed 'after the fact") are probaly scratched up.
- heated grips would not remove easily.
- LED flashing brake light is a good selling point.

20K miles, light oil burner, cracked plastics, would make a good $3,000 or less motorcycle. Make the remainder selling the racks, bags, boxes.

Note: how is the light switch holding up on your KLR?

#10 ·

Remove the Happy Trails hard bags / mounts and Givi case / mount and hold them hostage.

Leave these on:
- HT skid plate is probably banged up.
- HT crash bars (yes, installed 'after the fact") are probaly scratched up.
- heated grips would not remove easily.
- LED flashing brakelight is a good selling point.

20K miles, light oil burner, cracked plastics, would make a good $3,000 or less motorcycle. Make the remainder selling the racks, bags, boxes.
Noted

Note: how is the light switch holding up on your KLR?
The light switch is still holding up great! However, i'm having a terrible problem with the bike itself. I thought that "bad gas" was the culprit, but alas, it is something else :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.