Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new '09 with about 500 miles on it, and was wondering what torque wrench you guys like? Is there a list of sockets, etc. that are needed on the '08+ KLRs? Thanks

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
jdons -

For general maintenance there aren't any really special tools you'll need to buy.

I would recommend a good set of ball-end Allen wrenches and a standard 3/8" drive metric socket set. Add a 1/4" drive socket set (or 1/4" adapter and 1/4" extensions) for added convenience.

I use Craftsman beam-type torque wrenches, but only because I've had them for many years. I do recommend that you get both an inch-lbs and a ft-lbs torque wrench. Most of the bolts you will commonly work on, though, you'll soon develop a feel for how tight they need to be, so the usefulness of a torque wrench set for everyday maintenance is questionable.

Many folks have found the click-type of torque wrench to be more satisfactory than the beam-type, and there are economical models available from Harbor Freight.

Tom

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
I've got a set of torque wrenches (5). Best to have a torque wrench in each drive size. Make sure that you get some that have over lapping values. (That's how I ended up with 5). One of my 3/8" ones didn't go low enough to the 1/4" drive or high enough to the 1/2".

A man can never have too many tools.

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
...Most of the bolts you will commonly work on, though, you'll soon develop a feel for how tight they need to be, so the usefulness of a torque wrench set for everyday maintenance is questionable...
Let me clarify that, because it sounds like I'm pooh-poohing torque wrenches, but I'm a firm beliver in their use.

As I work on my bike I find that I'm constantly taking the plastic panels off, changing the oil, etc. For that stuff I don't use a torque wrench; I know when the proper tightness has been reached.

However, when I need to tighten the fork pinch bolts, the brake caliper, the axle nuts, the valve cover bolts (!!), the front sprocket nut, and so on, I most definitely use a torque wrench.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts