Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking because I also sell the non DOT approved halfs & germans, just in case anyone would be interested.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Most of the KLR folks that I know of go ATGATT and wear full face helmets or the flip-up type. I don't think you'll do much business with a half or german with this crowd. :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured that it was the full helmets, and I dont have a market for those on my side. I actually go without one when ever I can.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Let me give you the low down on the Dual Sport crowd... We've all wrecked/dropped our bikes and expect to at any moment. So, many, if not all of us practice wearing our gear cause road rash sucks.

(Whatever keeps us riding and out of the hospital is usually the motto)

Street bike crowd, it's rare to hear about dropping your bike, and the idea is to never do so. Us on the other hand, whether or not we want to drop them, we know in the back of our minds that sometime we will.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
(Whatever keeps us riding and out of the hospital is usually the motto)
That, and I'd rather sweat than bleed..

Full face, System, or Off Road lid, 99.5% of the time.. I've been known to ride around the corner of my block to the gas station, or 2 blocks to the post office without a lid, but that's it..

Several reasons.. Crashing hurts, and I tend to ride fast or off road, I like the extra hearing protection (I wear ear plugs, too) and bugs against my forehead aren't my idea of a good time..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Full face only. ATGATT, baby!

Glad I had it all on last yr when the actions of a 17yo in a pick-up led to the totalling of my Ducati S4R and the breaking of my right wrist! My face would've been scraped up if I'd had on anything less than a full-face. Yikes! MH

·
Registered
57 Posts
Most of the time, a MX helmet. If i'm not gonna be going offroad, a fullface with a shield. I just got back from an 8 day ride with my mx helmet, and not once had i truly wished i brought my fullface instead. I thought about it as it was raining on me in the dark, at 8500' in the twisties after fixing a flat in said rain, but my head was the least of my problems, as i still had all my desert gear on, stopping to get my raingear out wouldn't matter. When it gets below freezing the fullface is set up to velcro to my jacket and seal completely, no air leaks except for the vents, and they keep me from steaming up as long as i'm moving. I'll wear that when i go snowboarding this winter.

·
Registered
251 Posts
klr650 said:
I figured that it was the full helmets, and I dont have a market for those on my side. I actually go without one when ever I can.
I'm with ya 650. Like Biker Scout said though. Most DS riders think of the hazards a little more. And yea you can get flamed :evil: in a second on this subject. Been there and my butts still on fire. :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ah!!!!! You mean those little beanie things! My most comfortable helmet is my open faced one with a flip up sheild, but I have tried to convert to only full faced.

We'll get you converted over to ATGATT. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wear what keeps the trees out of my face when i do something stupid. :lol:

and yea it had a face shield, it kind of got broken when sliding threw the small pine trees. :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Open face with a flip shield.
I live in KY where we can decide if we have it on or off.
Most of the time I have a jacket on, and someone donated a pair of chaps to me that I use sometimes.
And aginst all the advice I have my tennis shoes on 90% of the time.

If I know I'm going to the woods I will have boots and all the gear I have.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Full face, ATGATT. I even get teased sometimes when I go into the office because I wear JR overpants over my Dockers and carry my work shoes in my bag to change out of my riding boots.

·
Registered
16 Posts
About the only non DOT I'd wear would be a Euro Full face that still has a Snell or similar rating. I don't get too hung up on US standards. DOT is great but Euro standards are just as good. I've been looking at a Airoh Tyger or S4. Both of those don't have a DOT, but they do meet all Euro standards, and I'd feel OK with that.

I wear my MX every time I can. If it's raining I'll switch to my full face/modular. I was a little hinky about going with a flip up, but the advantages outweighed the lack of strength ( for me anyway ). I think if I get an Airoh, it will probably be my all-the-time helmet. I jut can't stomach the $85 for shipping to the US.

Anyone want to start distributing them on this side of the pond????

The bottom line for me is: Doc's do a pretty good job on fixing you from the neck down; from the neck up... not so much. Just my 2c.

Safe riding everyone,

Naeg

·
Registered
14 Posts
i really like the flip up/modular helmets.
waay easier to drink,talk,spit,whatever.
i would probably be a vegetable if i didnt have my helmet during my crash.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts