Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious how far any of you have ridden on the KLR. As an enduro, I wouldn't think very far, but I'd like to know how good a long-distance tourer the KLR is.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I don't like to ride much over 100 miles a day. We stick em' in the trailer and pull it with the motorhome. The only limit to my riding area is the ocean shore but we mostly hang out in Tennessee and NC. The Blueridge Parkway area of NC is my favorite.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I'm just curious how far any of you have ridden on the KLR. As an enduro, I wouldn't think very far, but I'd like to know how good a long-distance tourer the KLR is.
I've personally ridden a 748 mile day on my KLR. Had an acquaintance who had ridden a 1400+ mile day with his 70 pound Labrador.

I have ridden many 250-550 miles days on mixed roads. Most of my riding is Sunday only. Occasionally I get a 3 or 4 day trip, 1000-1500 miles.

Many KLR riders will ride 3000-10,000 miles on a KLR in one Trip!
A fair number of KLR riders get 15,000-30,000 miles from one Trip!

Some ride nearly stock equipment, like me. Some have a very well sorted out list of Modifications which they have developed thru the use of 3 or more different KLR's over the years.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If you mean how far in a single day on the highway, it's 610 miles from Bartlesville, OK to my house in Houston. I had been ridding on the TAT from Memphis to Bartlesville, OK after X-mas with family. It was 26 degrees New Years Day and I wanted to get back home for the work week.

I rode Houston to San Fransisco and Houston to Nova Socia, Canada. Houston to the Arctic Ocean at Deadhorse, AK is around 10,000 miles round trip if you go the short way.

All you really need is a taller windshield and a better seat for long distance ridding. A throttle lock also helps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My longest single day was 770 miles. When I did my ride to Alaska, I regularly did 9.5 to 10 hours in the saddle on most days. Mileage varied across the days depending on the type of riding: freeway, back road, gravel, or off-road. Total trip distance was just under 10,000 miles.

Longest day in the saddle outside of the Alaska trip was 13.5 hours.

As someone already stated, a better windshield and more comfortable seat make a huge difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow... I'm impressed. Actually I was mostly wandering about the longest trip...no matter how many days, but the daily miles you guys put on is a lot higher than I expected. I'm picking up my first KLR, an '03 with 10k miles on it tomorrow. I'd had big plans to have it road ready before I got it with 2 new tires, and having my doohickey and that extra spring installed. I thought from lurking on the forum that the doohickey installation was a fairly simple operation. When the dealer saw the part I gave them, they told me it was a major ordeal, getting deep into the engine and would cost me about $200 labor. When I finally got around to looking at the youtube video I saw they were right. Since I'm out of money, I'm taking the KLR home as-is. If I fall in love with it, I'll scrape together the extra bucks, and have them installed. I am NOT a mechanic. After that, it's the taller windshield, better seat, and distant horizons.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Wow... I'm impressed. Actually I was mostly wandering about the longest trip...no matter how many days, but the daily miles you guys put on is a lot higher than I expected. I'm picking up my first KLR, an '03 with 10k miles on it tomorrow. I'd had big plans to have it road ready before I got it with 2 new tires, and having my doohickey and that extra spring installed. I thought from lurking on the forum that the doohickey installation was a fairly simple operation. When the dealer saw the part I gave them, they told me it was a major ordeal, getting deep into the engine and would cost me about $200 labor. When I finally got around to looking at the youtube video I saw they were right. Since I'm out of money, I'm taking the KLR home as-is. If I fall in love with it, I'll scrape together the extra bucks, and have them installed. I am NOT a mechanic. After that, it's the taller windshield, better seat, and distant horizons.
I'm a mechanical imbecile - but I was able to do the Doo in my garage, with my son (who is very mechanically inclined) as my babysitter.

Look around your area for a KLR group, and then ask them about a "Tech Day"... Or, you may just find a single KLR rider who's done the Doo himself who would be willing to help out for a cool beverage. If you take the time and learn to do a few things yourself, you'll be that much more confident when the time comes to fix your bike when something actually breaks - or when you're out in the boonies and you break down.

Reactions: tjduexjr

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a KLR with the sole intention of joining my friend on a trip from Oregon to Alaska. I had some bike experience back in high school and college (35 years ago) so I'm really a newbe. After reading about how bad the stock seat is I went out and bought a Sargent seat and it was worth every penny. Total comfort and I never squirmed around on the seat. We rode about 200-300 miles/day for two weeks. I had mechanical problems and had to ship the bike home from Anchorage, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I was very surprised how comfortable I was.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I had my 2008 (I have a 2013 now) I rode from Phoenix to the Mexican border then to the Canadian border then back to Phoenix. If I remember right, it was a 10 day trip of 3600+ miles.

My longest single day on a KLR was with my 2001 back in the day. That was a Saddle Sore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours). I think I went about 1100 miles in 19 hours.

Ron :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Four of us, all on KLRs, just finished the Trans-Taiga. (at the end of this raod you are as far from a town as you can be, by road, in North America)
The trip was approx 5400kms with 2200 of it on gravel roads. 9 days on the road. 3 nights in motels and the other nights we rough camped.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Just did a 1200 mile jaunt.

Did 550 each way to the in laws, and he has a gen 1, so more riding
after I got there.

My record was 1300+ in one shot from Roswell to the Lake Michigan shore.
(18 hour riding day)

As of late I'm having 100 mile days on purpose just to get sick of riding so
there's no desire to touch the thing after rotator surgery but it's not working.
I keep switching out and replacing parts and keep riding the thing.
(just hit 20,000 and I'm replacing stuff)

Ride long, hard and safe,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Registered
1 Posts
LA to Argentina

I drove a Kawasaki Tengaii from Los Angeles to Buenos Aires Argentina. Three months trip!
The best thing i've ever done!!
LA to Brownsville, gulf of Mexico through Central America, cross by boat from Panama to Colombia and then continue on the Ruta Panamericana all the way to Peru and entering through La Quiaca Argentina!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts