Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats been your top speed on a KLR?

So far ive gotten as high as 90 m.p.h. on the highway.

I dont want a morals speech rather just the facts.

Whats the fastest(if even only for a second) you've gotten up to on your KLR?

:animal0019:

·
Registered
78 Posts
110mph, but that was on a straight away, down hill, out in the middle of nowhere! I did it once and not again! I think I could hear Scotty telling me, "That all she's got Captain! She'll blow if we hit warp 7!"

The fastest on a motorcycle was on my Honda Magnum, 142mph...did I mention I was young and dumb at the time!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
110mph, but that was on a straight away, down hill, out in the middle of nowhere! I did it once and not again! I think I could hear Scotty telling me, "That all she's got Captain! She'll blow if we hit warp 7!"

The fastest on a motorcycle was on my Honda Magnum, 142mph...did I mention I was young and dumb at the time!

I'm not saying you didn't...

110 on the speedo or GPS? The speedo on my 08 is 10% optimistic.

I've had mine up to 95 (GPS) and that was all I could get and it took awhile to get there!

Here's a guy that takes his KLR to Bonneville $6k later he's gotten up to 123 mph. His conclusion was that it's pretty tough to get the stock bike over 100.

·
Registered
219 Posts
82 on the GPS. Straight highway with a side wind. It was not good.

My bike is not stable over 75 so I keep it below that. My suspension needs serious upgrading and tuning.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Haa! On the speedo! As I said, no joke, I was almost up to 100 then I had a down hill run. 110...ish? That was with a 16T front sprocket. NOT GPS! In the real world, maybe 100mph, I don't know. I will not try to repeat it on a KLR; that's not what they were designed to do. I get up to 85-90mph on the speedo every once and a while, and I can't believe that's my correct speed.

"I would rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow!" ;)

Thanks for giving me the newbee pass with the " I'm not calling you on this...but" :)

Just a note:
We have a single cylinder bike; high toque low top speed! If you want a 100++ bike, don't ride a KLR. On that note; I have noticed we do pretty good, off the line. ;) I have also lost the sport bikes in the central California twisties because we have longer suspension and the roads are cr*p! We are/were 50th in the country for roads. The KLR is very good in those conditions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not saying you didn't...

110 on the speedo or GPS? The speedo on my 08 is 10% optimistic.

I've had mine up to 95 (GPS) and that was all I could get and it took awhile to get there!

Here's a guy that takes his KLR to Bonneville $6k later he's gotten up to 123 mph. His conclusion was that it's pretty tough to get the stock bike over 100.
Hummmm....
42T rear sprocket, 17T front. 705 piston, with stage 2 heads & hot cams. tall tiers.... 120lb rider, 125mph. I can see it...maybe. :28:

A community effort might be fun to see what one could do....or we could get a pig and enter her into the Miss. America pageant!?! :46:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Mid nineties. That's enough for me anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
90 on the HWY, with a slight downhill slope. The front end started to dance so I had to let off a bit. I agree with TT120, Its not stable over 75 mph.

If I want to go fast, I just jump on the GSXR, 130 mph easy.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I routinely hit an indicated 100-103.
Not as of late with winter and full knobbies front and rear tho.
It gets squirrely at 75-80.

On my side are weighing 150 lbs, 16t sprocket, all the breathing mods including
high flow stock-modified muffler.

There's a 4-5 mile straightaway split 4 laner on my commute in the middle of the nite
where traffic is almost nonexistent. It takes a good tailbreeze too. Many times the
batcycle falls asleep at 95.

It's a KLR. Enjoy it for what it is. When some rocket-moron sez "Wanna race?"
It's fun to say "Sure. Top of that sand dune and back?" LOLOLOLOLOL

Ride 'em if ya got 'em,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
94 MPH on level interstate only weight on bike: Me-215lb. and H.T. Tetons with tools,etc.No wobble,very smooth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
100 MPH speedo. on a flat open highway in the middle of nowhere NV.

300 # rider + traveling gear = 340#'s

Kenda 270 tires F&R, "L" air box mod, Re- jetted carb, $.22 drilled carb, stock exhaust.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Indicated 95ish on the freeway one morning for a few seconds while passing. Was smooth and stable, but she was maxed out. I typically don't take her past 80.

·
Registered
20 Posts

105 level ground and i think she
Could
Have done alittle more. I broke my klr in hard btw... Didnt nurse it... Nice weighing 150 pounds .... 5'7". I was tucked tight and scared. Lol

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
When it was new I hit 105 once on a five mile stretch with a back wind in a total crouch while laying on the tank and lighting my farts! LOL

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
So far ive gotten as high as 90 m.p.h. on the highway.
You, too, Anthony (you daring rascal, you!); speedometer reading or from GPS?

------------------

Kinda wish all making their WLSR (World Land Speed Record) claims would QUALIFY the SOURCE of their "top speeds;" speedometer, GPS, radar gun, Chrondek timing lights, etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts