Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a small tool bag with some spare tools, knife, zip ties, rope, and smal gauges but what else do you carry with you all the time in your "tool kit". Any sugestions, must haves, specific tools.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
If you ride at night, a small, effective flashlight is essential and can even come in handy during the daylight.

About 10 feet of 0.32 stainless safety wire wrapped around a small wooden dowel. You could use any kind of hardware store wire.

Extra set of spare fuses.

I carry so many tools on the bike one would be redundant, but would think one of those Leatherman-type multi-tools would fulfill a lot of tool needs in a very small package.

Electrical tape/duct tape.

I don't know if you want to go this route or not, but you can fit a hell of a lot of tools in a PVC tool tube. I tend to carry probably way more than I'll ever need. This thread might give you some ideas although my kit is ever-changing depending on what ideas I get from other guys on here and what I run into through experience. For example, I kept the 1/4" ratchet but switched to breaker bars for the 3/8" and 1/2" sockets because they will serve the same function but take up less room.

I'll admit, it's probably overkill, but you might see something in there you hadn't thought of.

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=11152

Just do a search on the forum for "Tool Kit" and lots of good info/ideas will pop up.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Purchased a barebones medical kit from the local sporting goods store, haven't ever opened it so don't remember whats in it. Flashlight/batteries/bic lighter/cable ties.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
One dark and cold night I was trying to get into the main fuse and stuck my flashlight in my mouth to free my hands (and proceeded to slobber all over, the light going every which way) and thought it would be really nice to have one of those inexpensive LED lights that strap to your head. I found a two-pack for $10 at the local home supply. One went into my kit. Also works well for finding the beer in your panniers at the campsite, as well as grilling the fish.

T

Reactions: monkeyboots

·
Registered
285 Posts
About 10 feet of 0.32 stainless safety wire.....

Electrical tape/duct tape.
You know the BMW riders are laughing at us right now?
- Baling wire & duct tape.
Don't forget the zip ties.

(Not that I wouldn't love to own a 1200GSA myself. I'm still a cheap KLRista).:)

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
No, they'd laugh at baling wire. But this is stainless wire...

Ooooo, shiny. They like shiny stuff.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Bailing wire got KLR-Zin back from Etna. (I always have some).

Bandanas. I can't say it enough. Carry a bag with three or four in it. Reason cowboys liked em. I've fixed stuff with them. I wear one over my face in the dust. Soak it is water around the neck on a hot day.

But yeah. Tools, Flashlight, Knife, Astronaut pen, wire, duct tape, BIG zip ties, an extra shirt, bandanas, some oil...I did mention bandanas right. They cost like 99 cents. Get the BIG ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tom I spit my tea on the key board when I read [ Ooooo shiny ] very funny .
I have a flash light that is a magnetic tri pod design , legs are about 4 in long with magnets on the ends , rape around any thing or stand it up . strong led lighting ,light and tough . some what water prooff . Joby is the name on the casing . maybe you could google it

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm a retired military guy, and work in public health preparedness. I carry Maxpedition EDC's in my Ridgeline and computer bag. I'm in the process of putting one together for the KLR. Here's a pic of one:

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Tom I spit my tea on the key board when I read [ Ooooo shiny ] very funny ...Joby is the name on the casing . maybe you could google it
Well, BMW riders are like trout in a way. They go after shiny stuff and have short attention spa... what was I on about? Oh, yeah, the Joby. That's a pretty nice rig.

http://joby.com/gorillatorch

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Bug spray!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Resurrecting an old post here.
I'm putting together a tool kit.
Firstly what would you need to use wire for? I'm sure there are lots of things but anything that specifically requires it and how long a piece is needed.
Also does anyone have a Krieger tool roll?
Does it fit in any kind of tool tube or do you carry it it in your tail bag/ panniers?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Firstly what would you need to use wire for? I'm sure there are lots of things but anything that specifically requires it and how long a piece is needed.
Does it fit in any kind of tool tube or do you carry it it in your tail bag/ panniers?
I saw a video where a fellows rear saddlebag support bracket broke, he cobbled it back together with a piece of wood he found on the side of the road and the bailing wire, (I think he called it Xmas wire).

Nice looking tool roll, but the stock KLR tool kit has most of what you need, that along with a document tube behind the left rear cover should give you ample space for most circumstances.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
The list depends on the trip, but in addition to the small hand tools, I usually carry everything required to repair a flat tire including a tube. I did spring for the aluminum motion pro combo wrench/levers to save space and weight.
Also JB weld quick and/or putty is good to have when metal parts get broken or cracked. I've seen a cracked engine case and know of one radiator patched up with this stuff.
+1 on a head lamp and fuses.
I do carry bailing wire and duct tape. Not exactly sure what for but it seems like a good idea.
Zip ties get "borrowed" from me on a regular basis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw a video where a fellows rear saddlebag support bracket broke, he cobbled it back together with a piece of wood he found on the side of the road and the bailing wire, (I think he called it Xmas wire).

Nice looking tool roll, but the stock KLR tool kit has most of what you need, that along with a document tube behind the left rear cover should give you ample space for most circumstances.
The list depends on the trip, but in addition to the small hand tools, I usually carry everything required to repair a flat tire including a tube. I did spring for the aluminum motion pro combo wrench/levers to save space and weight.
Also JB weld quick and/or putty is good to have when metal parts get broken or cracked. I've seen a cracked engine case and know of one radiator patched up with this stuff.
+1 on a head lamp and fuses.
I do carry bailing wire and duct tape. Not exactly sure what for but it seems like a good idea.
Zip ties get "borrowed" from me on a regular basis.
Yeah I keep seeing the bailing wire in other people's set ups and I know it would be good for some stuff. I think 50cm would be plenty for most applications.
I already have the Krieger tool roll. I really like it but it doesn't fit in the stock holder area and I want to know if it'll fit in th 4 1/4" tool tube before I get one.
Yet to get spare, bulbs, fuses and spark plug but they all seem like good ideas.
I've blown headlamps on a car in the middle of nowhere and that is not fun. Worries about Roos jumping out in front of me while driving with park lights only.
I'm keen on the motion pro lever/wrenches but I just discovered that my front axel nut is larger than 17cm so I want to check I get the right sizes.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I like the lever/wrench combo, but that is duplicating the Kawasaki tools. Id go for the Motion Pro Bead Breaker/tire spoon combo instead.
Also watched a Youtube video on changing your tires using tie-wraps and bare hands....no tools, but that was on a wide, soft sidewall street tire, I can see it working on a tube tire as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep got the zip ties and duct tape haha
I'll look into the JB weld, heard it was good for radiator repairs? Never used it.
Do you keep your duct tape on the roll or wrap it around something?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I heard from about the JB weld radiator repair from a group of adventure riders, but didn't witness it myself. I do have personal experience with patching up a cracked engine case with it in an area that isn't under any mechanical stress. As for duct tape, I found a small role of it at the local hardware store.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts