Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've farkled my KLR about average for what I've seen here, and by far my favorite device has been my Garmin Quest GPS.

What's your's??

·
Registered
603 Posts
probably the skid plate and crash bars because of the way I can't ride:(

·
Registered
58 Posts
The best by far is the Cogent Dynamics shock absorber & spring I got from http://www.motocd.com. Second best is the modifications to the forks (Cogent Dynamics springs, RaceTech Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators and Rock Oil 10W synthetic fork oil).

·
Registered
7 Posts
The best by far is the heated handgrips!:11a: they extend my season by months up here in the winters of Ontario.:32a: The next best is the Joe Rocket nylon bag for the rear rack, and the tall windshield and the .......and the......
Coming next is the doohicky thing(why Kawasaki is so dumb about this thing I don't know).:mad0235:

·
Registered
272 Posts
heated grips

klrbigdog, on the hot grips, do you use a switch or rheostat temp control.
I rode in to work today, 34 degree f, I need heat. All I see listed in Parts Unltd is hi/lo/off switch type. where do I find a rheostat. (Ithink that spelling is wrong)
Thanks for your time
Kent Soignier

·
Registered
206 Posts
My fav so far has been the Corbin Seat.
My rear thinks so too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
klrbigdog, on the hot grips, do you use a switch or rheostat temp control.
I rode in to work today, 34 degree f, I need heat. All I see listed in Parts Unltd is hi/lo/off switch type. where do I find a rheostat. (Ithink that spelling is wrong)
Thanks for your time
Kent Soignier
I just used a switch with HI/LOW/OFF rated for twenty amps. My first kit came with a 10 amp switch that melted into goo. The low setting is all I seem to need but the high setting does heat up faster.(they really do make a big difference.):eek:

·
Registered
98 Posts
i can see !

i might have to say that the most improved "farkle" i have added is mirror dampeners, what a pain in the arse the oem mounts make rear view..
i cant believe kawasaki doesnt (or maybe they do with the 08, but didnt for 20 some years) put the KLR out the door with more efficient mirrors and the doohickey and an aluminum skid plate..

·
Registered
272 Posts
So I ordered a set of "hot grips" that come with a 3 way switch, hi/lo/off.
I have no idea what the switch is rated at, amperage wise, but hopefully they have it figured out. It will be my first farkling.
BTW, I have been in the m/c service industry since 1972 and I first heard the term "farkle" just 2 months ago, from a klr rider (now I are one). Where does the term originate?
I will only do functional farkle, no phony pharkle here. I can't believe I even said that.
196 miles now, changed engine oil. First fill up on fuel saw 50mpg. Ho-hum, I am shooting for 100mpg, stay tuned.
Kent Soignier

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hotfoot, is that a 2nd reserve tank you have mounted on you crash bar or is it meant for a cook stove? Could help you out of a jam if it's filled w/ gas. What's the cylinder with the red tip at the bottom in front of your engine?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Here's my latest farkle. Powerpegz pivoting pegs

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have added the Corbin seat, (within one week of purchase), Jardine exhaust with studabaker needle, center stand, heated bars from KLR650.com, my own custom wind shield (red like the bike), poor mans cruise control, (Vista Brand), upgraded headlight bulb, upgraded tail light bulb, sub frame kit, extended rear rack to hold my large tail bag, chase harper luggage, oh and some new anakees for the tires. I also made some new chain tensioners due to one falling off sometime. (mine are better, at least they won't rattle off like the OEM ones did.)

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No concerns with covering the air flow to the engine with all of those ABS tubes?

Gotta make it run hotter.

Sean
Most I've seen are mounted in front of the lower portion of the engine, so it's not blocking much airflow to the important item, the radiator..

Speaking of that, although it sounds weird, I actually get a cooler engine when I run my tank paniers. It must be gathering and forcing more air through the radiator, even though it blocks the rear vent on the side pannel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Most I've seen are mounted in front of the lower portion of the engine, so it's not blocking much airflow to the important item, the radiator..

Speaking of that, although it sounds weird, I actually get a cooler engine when I run my tank paniers. It must be gathering and forcing more air through the radiator, even though it blocks the rear vent on the side pannel.

You don't think airflow over the motor plays any factor in cooling?

Sean

1 - 20 of 93 Posts