Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we can all go fishing with this can of worms, but is the Garman Zumo 550 or 600 really worth the money? I am also a pilot and rely on the Garman 496 GPS up in the sky and is worth every penny. But on a bike I just dont see the $600 - $800 for one. The overlay on google maps looks like a cool deal.
I just wondered what everyone was running and if they liked them? Kinda looking for the best bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I'm running an old school Garmin 2610... I have the same mount and wiring on all the bikes and just switch it to the bike I'm riding that day. What used to be a $600 GPS is now a discontinued model that can be found new for $100.. It doesn't have a few of the features of newwer models, and it doesn't run off a battery, but it's waterproof, WAAS enabled, and CHEAP!!!

When this one dies, I'll replace it with another..

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm running the Garmin 2820 and three 2720's. The 2820 is bluetooth wireless that works with my chatterbox xbi2.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I'm using the "free" application on my Verizon (RIMM) Storm 2. I've also got a bushnell for hiking onix2000, works pretty good when there are no roads or cellular coverage (for the Storm).

John

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I use the sun and stars. I get lost a lot. :35a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
What's the fun if you don't ever get lost? :)

·
Registered
815 Posts
I consider a GPS to be a personal choice which makes it hard to tell anyone what the best one is for them. Plus, my opinions are based on 2 year old research, things may have improved since. I bought a MIO C520 for many reasons. My biggest decisions were the refresh speed, touchscreen and widescreen. A lot of devices are slow as hell with their screen refreshes which would drive me nuts. So Every time you pan the screen you have that hesitation. Not with the Mio, it's instant, no hesitation at all. The Garmin Nuvi line was the only other GPS line that compared speed wise. TomTom, Magellan, and all other Garmin lines were slow and annoying. The MIO is a newer company in Europe, so it lacks some of the refinement Garmin has developed over the years. The MIO can play mp3's and videos also. My main reason for a GPS was simply to know my location, not necessarily for route calculations, but I've relied on it more and more and it hasn't let me down. Although it's routing can seem odd at times (Some of that refinement I mentioned). All the companies have newer lines now, so I would need to refresh my research in order to recommend anything current. My best suggestion is to get hands on with as many as you can at the local stores. You'll find out real quick which ones are crap and then narrow down the remaining for further examination and then eliminate the options 1 by 1 until you find your perfect match.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Garmin zumo 550 here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use the sun and stars. I get lost a lot. :35a:
Thats a good one.
I dont know that I have ever gotten lost before, I may not know where I am all the time.
I have been reading a lot about others travels and they give some GPS way points of interest. Not really looking for a GPS for full time travel but would be a great guide to some of these spots. Read some stuff from big dog adventures and he has some neat water mills around the area. Some are way off the beaten path. He doesnt give directions just lat and long. Some great KLR riding.
Thanks for all the great advise from everyone.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Like the old mountain man said, "I ain't never been lost, but I've been powerful turned around a time or two".

My position is to keep it simple, except get the largest display you can reasonably use. Amazing when I went from the 3.5 Magellan to the Sanyo 4.3 (which has way too many whistles and bells, but the price was right and the GPS part is good).

·
Registered
3 Posts
GPS feed back

I have Tom Tom in my truck and on my bike The one on the bike came with scala head phones and mike
It's tough and a good price
On the street you do a route and then let the voice comands let you know when to turn I find looking down on screen takes your eyes off the road to much
The speed feature is nice it warns you when your over the limit BUt it can scare the shit out of you if set to loud and she hasn't talked to you in a while
With the cell attached (bluetooth) you can't call out when moving but can answer but voice when over 30 k is poor
Batterys i have had 3 or 4 different GPS units they don't last
It's direct wired and fits easly in the mount you will have to order a mount seperate
I the bush i turn off the voice and look at screen
It has no exteral speakers so thats a drag
No music storage or tunes TOM TOM does have their map share and online share if anyone else books ride in the same area
All round probably the best bang for the buck
But in the future it will probably be replaced by your cell phone direct to the head phone with all the functions like MP3 GPS calling answering
I;m looking at the I phone or nexus to see if it can be done but in no rush the tom tom is pretty good

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hey SWAB, when I'm in dark and strange places I prefer my .45.

(Gotta be a smartass somewhere or it's not the internet, right?)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Hey SWAB, when I'm in dark and strange places I prefer my .45.

Darned tootin'!!!:D

I use mine less for routing and more as an extremely detailed map. I love picking a direction and doing everything I can to stay off main roads.. A GPS helps me miss the dead ends, and know if there's a curvy road to turn off onto..

And, it keeps me in the right direction on cloudy days.:)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
As you may have noticed...I subscribe to this philosophy whole heartedly. Now if I could just restrict it to the internet...:50::)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use a Zumo 550 on my ST, love it. The spoken directions, music, and use of my phone is way cool. More than once I have used it to search for a hotel, call and get rates and availability all while cruising down the highway. I am however planning an getting something else for the KLR, ebay has some pretty good prices on older models. My original motorcycle mount went bad a month or so after my warranty ran out, Garmin replaced it without any grief. Great customer service.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I use a Zumo 550 on my ST, love it. The spoken directions, music, and use of my phone is way cool. More than once I have used it to search for a hotel, call and get rates and availability all while cruising down the highway. I am however planning an getting something else for the KLR, ebay has some pretty good prices on older models. My original motorcycle mount went bad a month or so after my warranty ran out, Garmin replaced it without any grief. Great customer service.
I just got another zumo mount so I have one on my KLR and V-Strom. One GPS two motorcycles.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts