Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 130 k60 now but i always find good sales on the 140 k60 .
not sure if it clears our fat exhaust ..seems i have more than enough room from swing arm ..

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I can't say for sure as all tires seem to be different widths at their widest it seems. Strange I know...? I would see if you can put a straight edge up along the tire behind the muffler and see what your space is like now....then make a semi educated guess? You could always add a spacer or washers to the inside of the muffler IF it did make contact with it to help make space so to speak...?

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
The 140 should fit OK. Some have had success with a 150 tire without serious interference, though it may rub a bit.

I'm currently running a 140 Battle Wing on my Gen2 with no issues at all. I think I'd be nervous about a 150 fitting at the front of the Gen2 swing arm. A 150 might be a bit wide for the rim, too.

Using at 140 on your '12 shouldn't be a problem.

T

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks ill give it a try .. im getting excited for this solo run back home im 5 weeks out !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Going wider than 130 is a waste of money, the tyre goes "square" faster and then your handling goes for a ball. Stick to 130.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Going wider than 130 is a waste of money, the tyre goes "square" faster and then your handling goes for a ball. Stick to 130.
Interesting concept, RobC!

I'd think the riding environment might be a consideration; e.g., in mud, a wider tire would have increased flotation, other things equal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting concept, RobC!

I'd think the riding environment might be a consideration; e.g., in mud, a wider tire would have increased flotation, other things equal.
The same is achieved by dropping the pressure in mud/sand.
A wider tyre is only good if you are going to use it in above conditions 90% of the time imho.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i just got back from my ride to Alaska and back 8875 miles and i swapped to a 140 hideneau rear for trip home and for the nasty mud in Dawson city for the D2D rally .. one the added height was like putting a 16 tooth front sprocket on her kept rpms at 70 mph at 4600 rpms all day .. the tread is different from the 130 to the 140 with a added center bar for better load handling on freeway .. with a new chain and sprocket it was close to the chain guard but cleared swingarm fine .

as for mud and sand wow did it hook up nice and it was thick baby shit mud ..
and on the road i loved the added stability and better top end gearing on the long haul home .

as for wear they didn't sqare any worse than the 130 like others mentioned i guess it depended on your air pressure if you keep real soft they will but i rode with 99 lbs of gear and kept rear around 36 lbs of air .

but for me im sold illbe keeping these for a while ..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts