Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tire story: got a set of the Shinko 705's; front is a 90/90-21, and the rear is 130/80-17 (Front/Rear) (stock sizes for the KLR). I brought them to the local shop to swap them out and balance, but was surprised when I got back to put them on—the rear tire was put on backwards. I drove back to the shop to have them fix it, but the guy at the shop explained that the sidewall arrow doesn't make any sense. The "V" of the tread in the rear tire should be facing forward; this made sense to me, and I have never seen a directional rear tread that "faces" backwards. Furthermore, I've researched many different 705 setups and not one had the tread facing backwards (the direction the "front" arrow says to have it). So I trusted him and put it on.

The 130/80-17 only comes in what Shinko calls a F/R (front/rear). But how does this make sense if the front and the rear face different directions on the 705? The directional arrow only seems to apply if you're using it as a front tire? To make things more strange, I have a pretty bad wobble now that was not there before changing tires, but I'm wondering if that is a bad balance job? What to do? Thoughts!

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
This sounds like double bassakwardness, sort of like a double negative except it doesn't make it right.

Usually, the arrow on the rear is in the proper direction and we talk about the front tire being mounted opposite the directional arrow.

This is the case with the Kenda K761, a tire I am familiar with.

My first thought is that your mechanic's heart is in the right place but he's a bit confused. We had a thread on this not too long ago.

I'm not familiar with the 705 (intimately enough to know if the arrow is backward, though this would be the first I've heard of it) so I'll defer further comment to @pdwestman.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, that's what's weird. The tires as they are mounted now actually face what seems to be the correct way, according to every post I've read. That is: R>>|<<F The only thing that seems wrong is that the rear tire SAYS the chevrons should be point backward, something I've not seen and doesn't make sense to me, the mechanic, or apparently anyone else in the forums I've read. My thought is that it must have something to do with it being not a "Rear" tire but an "F/R" tire, although as mentioned above, I'm not sure how you do that when the 705s are meant to be run in different directions.

Is the F/R a new designation? Is anyone else running the 705's now that could share their set-up?

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
To my way of thinking, these are properly mounted rear tires with chevrons:

And these are properly mounted front tires with chevrons:

The tires on the KLR are Kenda K761 and the tires on the BMW are Michelin Pilot Road.

Reactions: pdwestman

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
On the RMATV site there is a customer gallery showing four different bikes with 705smounted. One of them, a CB500, appears to have the tire mounted backward. The rest are what I would call correct, e.g.:

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
The rotation arrow would seem to support its being mounted in what is conventionally considered the correct direction:

Reactions: insan3guy

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
The pair of Shinko E-705 tires in my stock are both double arrowed for either front or rear positions. And they are properly arrowed for water, sand, grit, gravel, mud dispersion of the appropriate F/R fitment.

The point of the /\ or chevron should be the LAST thing to touch down on a Front tire, to squeeze the stuff to the sides because the front tire is Always Driven (by the roadway).

The point of the V or chevron should be the FIRST thing to touch down on a Rear tire, to scoot the stuff to the sides while the rear tire is Driving the unit forward.

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
Paul, in the photo above the rotation arrow is labeled "Rear". On the tire in your stock with the arrows labeled "Front" and "Rear", are they on opposite sides of the tire?

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
The wording and symbols are on the same side. end to / to end, no miss-take about them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you posted a pic of it that'd be easiest.

Sounds like your shop put it on backwards. It happens, techs get distracted.

For example, in the pic I attached the front is backwards while the rear is correct.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
If you posted a pic of it that'd be easiest.

Sounds like your shop put it on backwards. It happens, techs get distracted.

For example, in the pic I attached the front is backwards while the rear is correct.
insan3guy, That is correct, that front tire is on Backwards, in that photo.

And in the dim evening light yesterday I over-looked something on the pair of E-705's in my stock.
They are both double Arrowed on Both Sides of the tires (nearly straight across from each other), not just one side of the tire like I suggested yesterday.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, this thread made me go downstairs and check my 705's.

Thankfully they are installed correctly per the arrows on the side walls.

jncdi

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem is not with the front tire. My front tire is mounted with the directional arrow pointed forward and the chevron's pointing "back" toward the bike. This is correct for the 705s.

The problem is with the rear tire. Remember the 705s come in three designations—front, rear, and f/r. The "Rear" designation did not come in a 130/80-17, but the F/R did, so that's what I got. Below is how they are currently mounted. These seem to be the correct way according to all common reason (and my shop mechanic), but *not* according to the directional label on the side of the tire. My theory is that it's offered as a Front/Rear tire, but the arrow only applies if you use it as a front tire.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
brycelyoung, I see Two arrows point to point. The LH arrow says front / the RH arrow says rear. Or is that pic not your actual tire?

And yes that tire is mounted correctly on that rear wheel. Point of the vee grooves or knobs touches down 1st on the roadway, to scoot the rain, sand, gravel, mud to the sides when the tire is Driving.

The E705 130/90-17 TT (tube type) that is in my stock has the same arrows on both sides of the tire. Nearly directly across the tread.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well, that's what's weird. The tires as they are mounted now actually face what seems to be the correct way, according to every post I've read. That is: R>>|<<F The only thing that seems wrong is that the rear tire SAYS the chevrons should be point backward, something I've not seen and doesn't make sense to me, the mechanic, or apparently anyone else in the forums I've read. My thought is that it must have something to do with it being not a "Rear" tire but an "F/R" tire, although as mentioned above, I'm not sure how you do that when the 705s are meant to be run in different directions.

Is the F/R a new designation? Is anyone else running the 705's now that could share their set-up?
When you say front and back, are you talking about as you see the chevrons looking down on the top of the tires or as the chevrons are on the road surface?

If your diagram above is looking down on top of the tires, then I would say the pattern is correct for off-road use. If the diagram is as the chevrons are when contacting the road surface, then I would say your diagram above is backwards for both front and rear.

If you are talking riding on pavement, particularly wet pavement, I disagree with many here in that I prefer the front chevrons to have the point contact the road first so that as the water is pushed forward and towards the side, the chevron grooves guide it in those directions. I know that many front tires do not have this orientation on motorcycles for reasons that aren’t all that clear to me. Probably because with the rounded tire profile, water scavenging is less critical. If you look at car tires with their flatter profile, you will find that pretty much all directional tires are oriented with the chevron V point contacting the road first so that water is pushed to the side as the tire rolls forward.

Most say to orient the Vs opposite since the rear tire is driving the road whereas the front tire is driven by the road, but the reality is that the driving force on the front tire is minuscule other than during brake application.

This article here has some good diagrams, albeit for car tires, not motorcycle tires, but I believe the key comment is at the very end. Barry's Tire Tech

1 - 15 of 15 Posts