Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm about to purchase another set of tires for my '18 KLR650. The oem tires made it around 2k miles. The 2nd set of tires have lasted 4200 miles(Dunlop D606s) There is still tread but the front tire has bad cupping. When do you guys change your tubes? I am still using the oem tubes that came with my bike.

Premium Member
Only after they get a puncture or show chaffing from running too low of pressure for too long.

The inner tubes are well protected from sunlight & ozone. That is mainly what causes degradation of rubber parts.

Administrator
You鈥檒l get a thousand different opinions on this and in the end will just have to make your own determination of when to change them. Tubes don鈥檛 have a service life schedule but I鈥檓 sure the manufacturers would recommend changing with every tire change.

Premium Member
Depends on how frequently you replace your tires and whether or not you get flats and have to patch 'em.

I've typically used the Bridgestone Ultra-Heavy-Duty tubes cause they almost never get flats (touch wood) and even when they do pick up a nail or whatever, they go flat slowly. These have last at 3-5 years and several sets of tires. They are heavy and bike definitely feels somehwhat sluggish in corners with heavier turn-in. But having flat tires when you're in the middle of BFE is a giant suck.

So after 5 years -or too many patches, whichever comes first.

Premium Member
Good tubes will last quite awhile; I will easily use them for 2-3 tire changes and perhaps longer. The stock tubes, I'd replace at the first tire change but it isn't necessary.

Dave

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll replace my tubes since I'm changing tires in the next month or so. Anyone have a motorcycle tire changer or do you guys us spoons? This is my second time changing tires.

Registered
I've only used spoons, beer and aggravation for the last 15 years but in my old age am considering easier methods.
I change the tubes about very 3 or 4 tires. (15K to 20 Miles)

Registered
If you plan on changing your own tires, buy yourself a Baha No Pinch.
Its worth every penny, makes changing tires EASY!
There is a Chinese knock off that can be found on the interwebs.
A Motion Pro bead breaker is also a great tool, it has spoons on the other end, nice combo tool.

Premium Member
Anyone have a motorcycle tire changer or do you guys us spoons?
If you are going to ride the adventurous routes you better learn to use tire spoons in your garage, before you have to use them alongside a dirt road, by yourself.

A Motion Pro bead breaker is also a great tool, it has spoons on the other end, nice combo tool.
Along with this bead breaker, you should also purchase a pair of the Motion Pro 'Enduro Pro tire irons'.
And for beginning & finishing tire changes, probably a Motion Pro 'Bead Buddy' to keep the bead opposite the tire valve mashed into the spoke drop center. (I just use my knees.) Using the hooked ends of the Enduro Pro tire irons, remove tire bead starting at valve stem (tuck the ends of those 2 irons under the disc) and then using 3rd & 4th irons alternate left & right, ONLY 2 inches at a time.
Installing, start opposite of the valve stem and using the flat tip of only 1 Enduro Pro, alternate left & right Only 2 inches at a time, working towards the valve stem.

If you plan on changing your own tires, buy yourself a Baha No Pinch.
This appears to be a very slick tire installer, but it only does installation. And maybe a little bulky for a packable trail tool.

Registered
If you are going to ride the adventurous routes you better learn to use tire spoons in your garage, before you have to use them alongside a dirt road, by yourself.

Along with this bead breaker, you should also purchase a pair of the Motion Pro 'Enduro Pro tire irons'.
And for beginning & finishing tire changes, probably a Motion Pro 'Bead Buddy' to keep the bead opposite the tire valve mashed into the spoke drop center. (I just use my knees.) Using the hooked ends of the Enduro Pro tire irons, remove tire bead starting at valve stem (tuck the ends of those 2 irons under the disc) and then using 3rd & 4th irons alternate left & right, ONLY 2 inches at a time.
Installing, start opposite of the valve stem and using the flat tip of only 1 Enduro Pro, alternate left & right Only 2 inches at a time, working towards the valve stem.

This appears to be a very slick tire installer, but it only does installation. And maybe a little bulky for a packable trail tool.
I take mine with me at all times.
Packs small and it's light.

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm about to purchase another set of tires for my '18 KLR650. The oem tires made it around 2k miles. The 2nd set of tires have lasted 4200 miles(Dunlop D606s) There is still tread but the front tire has bad cupping. When do you guys change your tubes? I am still using the oem tubes that came with my bike.
The original OEM tube on my 2015 had an imperfection, it was very thin along a seam. Could have been a rapid loss of air pressure and a crash. Luckily it went flat in my garage and not at 70mph. Moral of this story: inspect your tubes, don't assume that "new" means they dont have imperfections.

Registered
If you ask someone who sells tires and tubes, then every tire change. My .02$, I change my rear every second, sometimes third tire if the tube looks really good. Front I usually change every tire as a front flat really sucks! I always keep the old tube for a spare, just in case.

Premium Member
I always keep the old tube for a spare, just in case.
I'll ask just how many 'old spare tubes' do you have stashed away that you'll never use again? :)

I use the tube that is still holding air in my old tire in my New Tire & carry New Tubes for spares.

In the shop I talcum powder the tubes in a large plastic bag before installing into the tires. This reduces chaffing of both the tubes & the interior of the tires. I may have to switch to cornstarch if they outlaw talcum powder because someone claims it causes ovarian cancer.

Reactions: Thumper23

Registered
I have a few laying around, but I use them for all kinds of stuff. If you have a forked tree, they make great potato launcher rubber bands. 馃榿

Reactions: Thumper23

Registered
1984 KLR600 A1, 1977 Yamaha TT500 Street licensed, 1988 BMW K75S,
My 84 600 is on its 2nd set of tires and still has one original tube and it still looks like new with just about 7100mi from new.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks! I was successful changing from the original tires to the d606's. I didn't enjoy the process at all. Maybe it will take a couple tries to get the technique down.

Premium Member
I was successful changing from the original tires to the d606's.
Congratulations!!

No one ever enjoys the process. But it is a necessary evil.

Registered
Either you suffer through it, or pay someone else to do it.

Reactions: DPelletier
1 - 20 of 31 Posts