Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just scored a 2017 KLR with 800 miles on it for $3800. Not a bad find and it looks like it came off the showroom floor. Always been a fan of this bike and so many of friends own them.
Question is, should the”Doohickey” be looked into immediately or can I just ride this beast and just enjoy it before wrenching? I like all natural bikes that stay stock and just run forever. All of my friends who own KLR have not looked into or fixed theirs. Some slight oil consumption and the others have nothing wrong. Cheers and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just scored a 2017 KLR with 800 miles on it for $3800. Not a bad find and it looks like it came off the showroom floor. Always been a fan of this bike and so many of friends own them.
Question is, should the”Doohickey” be looked into immediately or can I just ride this beast and just enjoy it before wrenching? I like all natural bikes that stay stock and just run forever. All of my friends who own KLR have not looked into or fixed theirs. Some slight oil consumption and the others have nothing wrong. Cheers and thank you in advance.
It’s a known issue that affects almost every KLR. Sooner, rather than later. I bought my KLR with 31000 km and it was still ok, but I it had no more adjustment left. Glad I did it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Watch the Eagle Mike videos on the Doohickey on YouTube, he goes into when you should do the doohickey. From memory the earliest he has seen a total failure is 9,000miles ( check this my memory isn’t what it used to be🤔) and he has done hundreds of them. Im sure you have plenty of time yet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Watch the Eagle Mike videos on the Doohickey on YouTube, he goes into when you should do the doohickey. From memory the earliest he has seen a total failure is 9,000miles ( check this my memory isn’t what it used to be🤔) and he has done hundreds of them. Im sure you have plenty of time yet.
But why take the chance if you are going to do it anyway?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Conan1977 asked if he could just get out and ride or if he should do the doohickey immediately. My answer is get out and ride, I trust the judgment of someone who has done hundreds of them. I am not saying not to do it at some point. I don’t buy a new helmet every two years “just in case”.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Conan1977 asked if he could just get out and ride or if he should do the doohickey immediately. My answer is get out and ride, I trust the judgment of someone who has done hundreds of them. I am not saying not to do it at some point. I don’t buy a new helmet every two years “just in case”.
I’ll bet if you asked Mike, he would say put in the Doo and the Thermobob. Why not setup your bike right to begin with and then enjoy it not worrying? I’m surprised we still have gamblers out there.😁

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think you’ll find on here that Doo plate/collar itself isn’t an issue on a 2017. It’s the spring. It won’t have enough pull or any left after a short while. My 2014‘s spring was completely retracted at 5000mi. (no more adjustment). You’ve got some time with that. Riding in cold weather? Do the TBob first IMO.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,479 Posts
Doohickey will break and spring will break or lose tension. That said, with only 800 miles on it, I wouldn’t feel like I needed to do it immediately. Like MVMike replied, I would do the thermobob first, because that will pay long-term dividends, and it sounds like you will be riding through the winter, which is when you need it most to even out the temperature around the cylinder.

Buy the doohickey parts and gaskets, to have them ready. Then look for the special tools for doing the installation. See if you can borrow them from someone locally. It only takes an afternoon.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,479 Posts
And even then it could turn into an unexpected exercise in frustration. Who was it that ended up having to cut off the flywheel recently?

·
Premium Member
3,986 Posts
In theory you should be good for 6,000 miles or so.....in reality.....well, how lucky do you feel; the spring could have tension for 20,000 miles or it could be out of tension now. I'd be OK to ride it for a little while but I wouldn't personally attempt an adjustment until I've been in there.

Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did mine with 350 miles on the bike. There was no tension on the spring at all. Glad I did it right away.
Thank you for the information. I do believe I will go ahead and replace it over this winter here in Illinois. Thermo Bob 2 is on the way now. Turning wrenches on such a new/low mileage bike is a bit of a bummer but it’s good to know this issue has been done with aftermarket parts via Eagle Mike. Again, thank you brother.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you for the information. I do believe I will go ahead and replace it over this winter here in Illinois. Thermo Bob 2 is on the way now. Turning wrenches on such a new/low mileage bike is a bit of a bummer but it’s good to know this issue has been done with aftermarket parts via Eagle Mike. Again, thank you brother.
Look at the bright side - doing it early on a low mileage late model bike means everything should come apart easily! e.g. no rusted bolts to break off and wreck your day.

I've done both the thermbob2 and EM doohickey on my 2018 at just over 6k miles about 6 weeks ago. There was still quite a lot of tension on the doohickey spring in my bike. I find it astounding that Kawi "quality control" has such variability to allow some springs shot within a few hundred miles, while others are fine at thousands (and likely many tens of thousands) of miles.

Still love the KLR, though, and wish I'd started riding decades ago!

·
Registered
2007 KLR 650
74 Posts
Do the Doohickey as soon as you can. I just followed the Eagle Mike or Revzilla You Tube video and turned out well. Have fun on your KLR.

·
Registered
75 Posts
And even then it could turn into an unexpected exercise in frustration. Who was it that ended up having to cut off the flywheel recently?
It was @KevK on another thread. He hasn’t updated in about three weeks. At that point he still didn’t have the flywheel off.
Definitely beneficial to do it sooner rather than later just to avoid his kind of drama.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was @KevK on another thread. He hasn’t updated in about three weeks. At that point he still didn’t have the flywheel off.
Definitely beneficial to do it sooner rather than later just to avoid his kind of drama.
This is the stuff that really helps to know. Let the fun times begin. Should be a cold two jobs this winter. Thermo Bob 2 and now the Doohickey. Better find a warmer garage that is for sure. Thanks all!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts