Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 Traveler
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a brand new 2022 Traveler, my first time owning a motorcycle but not my first time wrenching on stuff. :)

I ordered a Thermobob - when should I install it? Should I do it ASAP or wait until 600 mile service? I'm going to do the 600 mile service myself, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to tear it open now to install it or if it'll be fine to wait.

I am in Portland, Oregon, where temps are in the 40degF range this time of year, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
93 Posts
I installed mine at about 175 miles.

Willie

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I would submit that the doo hic is ok for a few thousand miles on a new bike. Eagle Mike says do it by 5000. Don't want that you should feel you have all these tasks to get done right away, heck just ride it. Enjoy it, makes ya feel 20 again...

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
169 Posts
Don't know any Aussies or mechanics down here that install them. Our temps are as extreme as the northern hemisphere, possibly more hotter. From what I have been told and word of the dealerships down here, is that they don't fail down under. Must be how we ride the KLR, look after them and conditions we ride in. There was a old mechanic who worked for Kawasaki in Japan for years now lives in Melbourne who said it was Eagle Mike himself who started the rumour and built up the hype around swapping it out and the doohickey as well. Just making more business for himself. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Don't know any Aussies or mechanics down here that install them. Our temps are as extreme as the northern hemisphere, possibly more hotter. From what I have been told and word of the dealerships down here, is that they don't fail down under. Must be how we ride the KLR, look after them and conditions we ride in. There was a old mechanic who worked for Kawasaki in Japan for years now lives in Melbourne who said it was Eagle Mike himself who started the rumour and built up the hype around swapping it out and the doohickey as well. Just making more business for himself. Just my two cents.
The doohickey has failed in both of my bikes and I'm meticulous about maintaining them. There's a reason why I'm parting out my 2012.

Here's a couple pics from the 2002 that failed before 13k miles.
Gas Motor vehicle Nut Nickel Rim

Tints and shades Art Paint Snow Wood

Those Kawasaki engineers are in DENIAL...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Our temps are as extreme as the northern hemisphere, possibly more hotter.
I ride in these temps every summer, temp is in the shade.
Alarm clock Watch Clock Font Auto part

And in the winter it's often 40-50degF for a high.

• Wow
Reactions: Br549rick

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
93 Posts
I ride in these temps every summer, temp is in the shade. View attachment 38200
And in the winter it's often 40-50degF for a high.
That's HOT!!!

And people think I'm crazy for living where it can get to -30F (windchill not included) in the winter! At least we can put more clothes on! ;)

I tend to stop riding when it gets below the 20's Fahrenheit.

Willie

·
Premium Member
4,832 Posts
No offense but that is a load of BS..... If you know how a thermobob works, you know that it is effective in any ambient temperatures and it does nothing to increase overall cooling effect. There is nothing "to fail"; the absence of a Thermobob is simply that - the bike will run and run fine....perhaps for a long time but the Thermobob is simply an improvement that greatly decreases the delta T between incoming and outgoing coolant in the cylinder (cold shocking).

I've always said that the Thermobob is optional and NO, you don't NEED one......it's just better.

I'll leave the whole "doohickey" "myth" alone for now as that's a separate topic but some people always try to throw shade on the man; sad.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,832 Posts
Nobody would wait until the 12 month warranty is up?
For the doohickey; probably. For the T bob; NO......if the cylinder is going to distort from cold shocking it's worse when the engine is brand new. The sooner the better. If I was going to wait a year or two, I probably wouldn't bother.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
New KLR rider here. Oddly enough, I too had the same question as the OP and directed my query to the watt-man vendor. Still waiting for a response as to whether the 12 month or extended warranties would be affected by installing the thermo-bob. Good to know that the non-Aussie response here, seems to be largely in favor of doing it ASAP.

·
Registered
2008 KLR650/685 tricked out / 2008 XR650L / 1988 XLV750R
168 Posts
New KLR rider here. Oddly enough, I too had the same question as the OP and directed my query to the watt-man vendor. Still waiting for a response as to whether the 12 month or extended warranties would be affected by installing the thermo-bob. Good to know that the non-Aussie response here, seems to be largely in favor of doing it ASAP.
Aftermarket parts and installations don't void the warranty. Read the Magnuson-Moss-Warranty-Act.
Now, should you install a part incorrectly and subsequently suffer an engine damage from that part, it should go without saying that the manufacturer doesn't have to cover that fault in their warranty.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The Thermobob is not required. You will have opposite camps in the KLR community. Those who feel they must, and those who feel they don't. Since you bought the 'Bob already, that puts you in the camp who feel they must. So don't wait and install now. If you have to ask, the answer is do it now.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
93 Posts
Aftermarket parts and installations don't void the warranty. Read the Magnuson-Moss-Warranty-Act.
Now, should you install a part incorrectly and subsequently suffer an engine damage from that part, it should go without saying that the manufacturer doesn't have to cover that fault in their warranty.
YOU SIR ARE CORRECT!!!

When it comes to CONSUMER products, the Warranty must be supported by the manufacture (dealer) IF, a DEFECT in WORKMANSHIP AND/OR MATERIALS is found to be the ROOT CAUSE of the ACTUAL FAILURE.

IF you use an aftermarket "HI-FLOW" Air Filter and it dusts the engine, YOU own the whole failure and any repairs you chose to perform.

IF you use an aftermarket Air Filter that meets or exceeds the Mfg. spec. and the engine fails, they can NOT say it was because of the aftermarket Air Filter that caused the failure. They can say you were an idiot because you installed it dry (didn't oil it) or something like that and deny a warranty claim but.... they can NOT require you to use "Kawasaki" branded Air Filters. If they do, they are required BY LAW, to give you FREE Air Filters! FACT!!!

OK.... that's more than you probably wanted to know about the Magnuson-Moss-Warranty-Act!

Willie

Reactions: Br549rick
1 - 20 of 80 Posts