Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2022 KLR650 Traveler
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a brand new 2022 Traveler, my first time owning a motorcycle but not my first time wrenching on stuff. :)

I ordered a Thermobob - when should I install it? Should I do it ASAP or wait until 600 mile service? I'm going to do the 600 mile service myself, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to tear it open now to install it or if it'll be fine to wait.

I am in Portland, Oregon, where temps are in the 40degF range this time of year, if that makes a difference.

· Registered
2022 KLR650 Traveler
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm probably going to get it on there this weekend, I've got a good chunk of time and it's not too cold out in the garage yet...

· Registered
2022 KLR650 Traveler
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Check back in, in another 40 - 60k miles if you even keep your bike that long.

Slightly modified and with proper maintenance the KLR650 engine can last 150,000 - 200,000 miles without rebuilding.
All of the OEM doo springs (1987-2023) will run out of travel long before then. That is when balancer system damage begins to occur. Continued operation with a loose balancer chain can become catastrophic.
I tend to own vehicles until I run them into the ground (or until someone totals the car, I am still salty about the person who rear ended me in my 2002 Subaru WRX that I had 185,000 faultless miles on...grrr), so I am definitely on the side of proactive improvements if they're out there.

· Registered
2022 KLR650 Traveler
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
So, I just finished installing the Thermobob, after everyone's comments. 12 miles on the odometer. I'm real curious to watch the temp gauge now, since we're solidly in "40 degrees and rain all the time" season in Portland, OR. Got the matching tach installed while I'm already happy with myself for getting the service manual.

Got the doo on order, probably going to do it when I do 600 mile service since I'll be taking it all apart. Thanks everyone for the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts