Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Rider South Georgia

One more down here at the Florida state line, Lake Park GA. Just got my new KLR a week ago, long time rider, firt time KLR owner. Plenty of dirt roads down here and loving it so far!

·
Registered
272 Posts
New to the forum. I am up in North GA around the Blue Ridge area

DirtDriven, I was passing thru Blue Ridge area last thursday and we spotted a blue/green/white klr. The rider was turning north off of hwy 60 onto ga515, then scooted off at a brisk pace. Was that you?
I was envious as I was in my dually, pulling my gmd computrack trailer, heading up to VIR for a weekend of WORKing on race bikes. Which in and of itself, ain't so bad, but I sure wanted to go ride'n.
I have a late model klr and work in Jasper at my motorcycle chassis shop.
Stop in and see us. Maybe we can go for a gravel road tour, I have some good ones around here, maybe you know some in your neck of the woods that you could show me

·
Registered
61 Posts
Kent,

No it wasn't me I have a Blue/Black 09. I had gotten out of riding for a several years mostly due to not having time because of work but just recently started riding again and realized how much I missed it. Where are you guys located in Jasper? I will try and stop in one day when I'm down that way or we can get together and do some riding. I know several places that would make for some good riding

·
Registered
272 Posts
DirtDriven,
We are located at 279 Confederate Ave, in the new Mountain City Business Park, In Jasper, Ga. 30143.
It is a new business park that doesn't show up in some searches or GPS.
You can find us on Rand-mcnally.com or google maps.
It is just off of Ga hwy 515 on the north side of Jasper, north of Ga hwy 53. our phone number is 706 253 1148.
I ride to work alomost everyday. My commute intails 25- 30 miles of beautiful twisted country roads, about 40% of which is gravel. I get to work and holler WAHOO!!!. all my guys laugh at me.
The bike we saw in Blue Ridge area was probably from the mid 90's. Definitly not an '09.
Glad to hear you have gotten back into riding. Come see us.

Kent,

No it wasn't me I have a Blue/Black 09. I had gotten out of riding for a several years mostly due to not having time because of work but just recently started riding again and realized how much I missed it. Where are you guys located in Jasper? I will try and stop in one day when I'm down that way or we can get together and do some riding. I know several places that would make for some good riding

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will be down in Ga next week for some GM Training I am hoping to bring the bike.This is where I will be 6395 Shiloh Road
Alpharetta, GA 30005 Is there any riding around there close. I will have my 09 KLX 250

·
Registered
272 Posts
10man,
good to hear from you.
let's get together for a ride soon.
what kind of riding do the three of you prefer?
I am in Jasper, Ga.
I rode twenty miles of gravel and dirt roads on my way to work this am. oh yeah, and another twenty of paved twisty.
I love my commute.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds good Kent. We really should get together for a ride. Love the dirt roads and the twisties. We dont get too rough tho kuz my brother is riding the big pig DL1000 V strom. We plan to do some camping trips off the bikes in the fall or any good weather really. We're about to do the doo hicky on my old 06 i just sold to a friend of mine probably this week end. Hopefully it will be a while b4 my 08 needs it. I just put some D606 rock chunkers on so im ready to scuff'em in. I'll send you a PM when we get a ride planed and we can xchange #'s.
:26a:Rocky

·
Registered
272 Posts
10man,
I will look forward to meeting ya'll. Though I have 4 or 5 back to back weekends out of state for motorcycle racing and rallies I must attend/work. No, I can't take my klr. I have to take the dually.
At least I get to commute daily, about 50 miles round trip, when I am in town.
My home is in Fairmount, ga. and my motorcycle repair shop is in Jasper, Ga.

I have done several doohickies on the pre-08 version klrs, all of which had broken springs.
I have an EM doo on my desk for my bike that now has a little over 11500 mi on it. just have not gotten a round toit.
As for tires, I wore out the stockers in 3k mi. then put on Avon Distanzias, which lasted about 5k mi. They were real good on pavement.
Now I have a pair of michelin T63's. They are DOT knobbies that amaze me with the grip they offer on the pavement. I drag pegs in certain turns on them. Though they make alot of knob noise.
They have over 3k mi now and still have knob left. I like them.
Plus they offer much better dirt grip than the avons which were nearly like riding slicks on dirt.

Which brings me back to the big pig v-strom and not getting too rough;
My klr is a big pig too, It is top heavy, (actually it is just plain heavy 451 ponds to be fairly accurate) but at least it doesn't make much power. I don't like to get the klr in stuff that makes it turn upsidedown. So I am quite okay with not getting too rough. Though I do enjoy a brisk pace.

my 'dirtbike' is a street legal (sorta) KTM400 ex/c. I will take it into the knarlies.
Let's stay in touch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will do Kent. Yes im very in touch with your job, you have done lots of work for my friends ( the Boatwrights ) and i've been to your shop in Atlanta several times. I haven't got to see your Jasper shop yet.

The t63's and the 606's have the xact same tread pattern. The only reason i didn't get the 63's is they were back ordered 3 weeks.
I have ordered the latest and greatest Eagle mikes doo for the 06 just waiting for it to get here. They said it was a progressive spring or something like that.
We deffinetly need to ride. I'll give you a call and check your race scedule so we can set somethin up.
See ya,
Rocky

21 - 37 of 37 Posts