Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I’m rebuilding my KLR 650 and I bought everything I need or at least I thought I did until I realized that the bushing that goes on the one way starter gear behind the flywheel is completely spent. It even lightly pitted my crankshaft. Has anyone ever sourced one? I really want to ride my bike tomorrow and all I need is that stupid bushing. I’m even thinking of just machining a bushing but I don’t know if it will work without pitting my new crankshaft. I know the original bushing has some special coating on it. I’m also thinking of leaving it off and just push starting if for a few days. Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been using megazip.net to get part numbers. You can order from them or give the part numbers to a shop. I haven't had to order from them as local shops have been able to get me parts for my 86 KLR600.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been using megazip.net to get part numbers. You can order from them or give the part numbers to a shop. I haven't had to order from them as local shops have been able to get me parts for my 86 KLR600.
Well I’m just going to buy a used gear on eBay. You can’t get the bushing you have to buy the whole gear. It’s not so much about getting the part. I’m trying to ride tomorrow.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Even if you could purchase a bushing separate from the starter gear, you would have to carefully press it into position, which is more difficult than it appears. Also, the bushing will distort during the installation process, so you would need to hone precision hone the ID to the proper size. So your decision to buy a complete gear is spot on.

Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts