Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing some Dual-Star heated grips and have everything sorted out except where to ground the red wires from the heated grips. Worst case scenario I will run a wire under the tank back to the battery, but I was wondering if there was a more convenient place to ground them out. :?:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: What color is the positive wire for the license light?

RaiderSix said:
I'm going to tap into the positive wire for the license light to run my relay (doing heated grips). I don't have a manual as of yet, and was wondering if someone could look up the color of the wire in question for me. Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:
There are two wires to the lisc. plate lite. The ground is the black and yellow one. The hot one is the red and white one. Personally, I do not think the Lisc. lite wiring is even close to being heavy enough to run heated grips. According to the wiring schematic in the book is does a lot of splitting from the ign. sw. to the lite. I think the wiring is like 18 or 22 gauge wire size at best. I think I'd it'd best to use a main lead off the battery for the grips. Then use the European running lite wire behind the faring to trigger a Potter Brumfield type relay off the ignition.
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I ran a wire from the battery to one of the bolts on the fairing to get a good ground from the battery to the frame, (manual says the frame is not a ground). I now can ground lights,heated grips, ect... directly to the frame, unsally to the fairing bracket.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Easiest access is the "city lights" ground, which is on the right side of the fairing near the wiring for the front right turn signal. There is a hot and ground with empty bullet connectors. Blk/yel is ground, the other is power.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The city lights ground actually grounds to a ring terminal that is bolted where the top of coolant reservoir bolts to the frame. You can add other one there or tap on to that one. The black-yellow wire is ground.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'm just waiting for the rain to slow down before I go over to my storage and finish the install. This is my second day after getting rid of my car (hated paying $441.35 a month) and I don't have a rounded out set of commuter gear yet. I just ordered a ton of stuff though. I ordered a Wolfman Alpha bag for grocery shopping, some Rok Straps, some Aerostich quick disconnect straps, MSR "elephant ears" to help cut the wind off my hands, some Alpinestar ST-1 gore tex gloves, an Alpinestar Drystar 360 suit for commuting, and some Oxtar Matrix II boots. I dropped a lot of money on something I actually love. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Having the right gear makes riding in bad weather bearable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, just now wrapped it up. Only had one small problem. My brand new Renthal throttle side grip got a hole toward the bar end. I hope it doesn't rip any further. I need to take a picture of my genius switch mount for the grips. It is pretty slick looking if I do say so myself. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7 Posts
MeefZah said:
Easiest access is the "city lights" ground, which is on the right side of the fairing near the wiring for the front right turn signal. There is a hot and ground with empty bullet connectors. Blk/yel is ground, the other is power.
I just wired them in using those connections. A real time saver - Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts